If I got swimming every day this week until weigh in ....

miss_emmajane

Silver Member
Do you think I will have a good loss? I am doing EE this week and have been swimming the past two days and intend to go every day until weigh in but I know for sure that if I don't have a good loss after this I will be in a major bad mood - does anyone else swim a lot?

I was swimming alot up until recently when I let my membership lapse! I was swimming at one point up to 6x/week and doing between 70-100 lengths in about 40-50mins. That was before I was doing SW and was just following a diet at home. I did build muscle because try as I might I couldn't get below 11st. Saying that I toned up loads and was into a size 12. I also have scales that measure your body fat and I went down from bad to the higher end of good. I think if you're swimming less than that and not building too much muscle you will see a good loss on the scales. It depends how much you want to tone up and how much you want to see the scales move. I'm def going to renew my membership because I love it and really want to get back to it.

HTH
Wendy

Oh my goodness I was proud of my 28 legnths today never mind 70!!! I hope I get that good!!!! I love swimming but aqua aerobics did NOTHING for me so I am hoping doing legnths does :) Thanks for your advice, good to know it works!

I don't know how long you've been swimming Emma but the first week I started I think I manged about 20 and I remember coming out of the pool thinking I might pass out lol! Took me awhile to get to 70 I just kept building it every week till I got there. My trick to myself was 'you can rest for a bit after every 10 lengths' and it was a psycological kick. Soon my rests were getting shorter and shorter till I didn't need to stop.
I'll tell you once you get to that level you actually could go on for hours it's weird! Not that dedicated tho lol.
Hope it goes well for you.

Wendy

I don't know how long you've been swimming Emma but the first week I started I think I manged about 20 and I remember coming out of the pool thinking I might pass out lol! Took me awhile to get to 70 I just kept building it every week till I got there. My trick to myself was 'you can rest for a bit after every 10 lengths' and it was a psycological kick. Soon my rests were getting shorter and shorter till I didn't need to stop.
I'll tell you once you get to that level you actually could go on for hours it's weird! Not that dedicated tho lol.
Hope it goes well for you.

Wendy

LOL - only started yest! I was thinking to try and do two more legnths each time I go which means 30 tomorrow morning and the quicker I can do them, the quicker I can get home for my treat (syns) - try to trick myself lol

If I got to 70 I would be SOOOO proud!

Well I think 28 is pretty good for a first! If you keep adding you will get there just take it at your own pace. Lol I need the psycological tricks too. It def helps and if means you get home quicker for you treat go for it! :D

Just remember 32 lengths is half a mile :) i was doing that 3 times a week and gym as well when wasnt swimming, now i never lost weight when i went to wi's which totally put me off doing diet but ppl said they saw a difference in my size but i didnt. I was goign swimming again this week but have manage to broke a few toes, just typical, good luck hun

I think it will also depend which stroke you are doing and how fast you go. Most people do a leisurely breast stroke when you want to be doing a reasonably fast front crawl. But exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle so do it for this reason and because you enjoy it rather because you're looking for a big loss.

I've lifted this info on the calories burned while swimming, which may be helpful

How many calories are used whilst swimming?

There are many factors that contribute to the number of calories you burn whilst swimming, these include.
  • your weight
  • distance swum
  • time spent swimming
  • stroke used to swim
To keep it simple here is an estimate and a formula that will help you work out how many calories you are likely to have used during your swim.
Leisure swim (not laps)
3.2 calories per stone per 5 minutes
Breaststroke (moderate intensity)
5.3 calories per stone per 5 minutes
Water aerobics (moderate intensity)
2.2 calories per stone per 5 minutes
for example if you weigh ten stone and swim leisurely for 30 minutes you are likely to have burned 192 calories.
If you swim faster than what could be described as moderate then you can increase the amount of calories burnt.

I can't wait to get back into swimming!! I absolutely love going. My local pool is a very old Victorian baths, so the pool is nowhere near as big as a normal pool would be. But I was doing around 70-90 lengths each time I went (30-45mins). I had to stop while I had some physio on my spine, but really looking forward to going back.

I didn't feel aqua aerobics did anything for me either miss emma jane! It just didn't feel hard enough and certainly never got me out of breath like swimming does :rolleyes:

Back