If you cut crusts off

debtin

Gold Member
hi all, am sure i read on here that if you cut the crusts off 2x800g wholemeal bread this would still count as a healthy extra? anyone know if this is true?

Yes you can cut the crusts off if you want. But you would need to weigh the bread to see if it is 60g or less. for it to count as a HEB

Or of course do as I do and leave the crusts on and just syn the bit over 60g :)

how many syns would i add? i dont mind the smaller loafs but sometimes goes to waste and i buy other bread for rest of family so decided to just buy the bigger bread that way we all eat it - thanks

A Healthy B of wholemeal bread is 6 syns, so just count the difference for the slices you are using.

how many syns would i add? i dont mind the smaller loafs but sometimes goes to waste and i buy other bread for rest of family so decided to just buy the bigger bread that way we all eat it - thanks

You will need to weigh your slices and work out the syns from that. For instance two slices of my bread is 70-75g. You get 60g for a HEb so I syn 10-15g worth of bread which works out at 1 to 1.5 syns.

Whatever wholemeal I use, a 400 or 800g loaf, I work on the assumption that 60g is my HexB & then calculate each extra 10gms over that = 1 syn......if Im incorrect could someone correct me please, as Im not sure if the rule of 20 cals = 1 Syn, as I dont know if there is any 'free' foods in the bread.

It all depends on the bread make and thickness, so that doesn't really work. Today I had two slices of hovis wholemeal 800g thick sliced. They are 6 syns each! Better to work it out properly for your particular bread.

Never thought to cut the crusts off lol, makes perfect sense :)

This always mildly boggles my (tiny) mind :D Why waste a perfectly good half of your loaf? Either buy a smaller one or eat less of the one youve got? :D

lol a larger loaf is better value though :)

It is, so I tend to buy a big one and eat 2 slices. Or just 1 slice. Or even 1 and a half! But I dont thrown the other half away :D

I have the large loafs 800g. I usually have 1.5 slices and call that my hexb i cut half off the 2nd slice and pop it back in the bag for next time xx

These are some good ideas here. We too buy 800g loafs for everyone else in the house and frankly I'm getting annoyed with 400g bread that breaks, now I know how I'll syn the excess, yay! Thank you

I've been doing slimming world for 4 weeks now and still learning! Earlier I realised that I was making a mistake with my bread when counting it as a healthy extra. I was counting 2 slices of wholemeal bread from an 800g loaf as healthy extra! Didn't realise you could buy smaller loaves. I'm following extra easy so 1 slice can be healthy extra and second slice can be counted as 4 syns. Those of you that are weighing or having 1 and a half slices are you following the red or green plans or are you just weighing to get the most out of your 60g of wholemeal bread?

No two different branded loaves will ever be exactly the same, so the 1 slice from an 800g loaf/2 slices from a 400g loaf is an average (some are thick slices, some are thin sliced etc so will weigh a bit less or more than 60g). So people often have a bit more so they get their 60g worth.

I do Green mostly, but thats not why I have more than 2 x 400g slices - I still only spend 1 HEXB on bread, its just that my 2 slices only add up to about 44g so I want the other 16g! :D So I have 3 slices and (sometimes ;) ) syn the extra :)

Well, my scales aren't the most accurate in the world (they aren't digital) but I've noticed that two slices from Tesco own brand medium sliced wholemeal does seem to weigh out at 60g. I've had that as my hexb pretty much since I started and have still had good losses so I find this is easier than cutting/slicing. I just don't bother weighing it anymore.

Back