If you had to kill, clean & prepare your own food...

I'd become a vegetarian.. There's no way I'd be able to kill an animal. I have a hard enough time preparing meat for dinners. Lol. I'd be no good at cleaning & cutting it up either.
I've considered becoming a veggie, but I think it'd be too pricey & I'd probably miss the meat that I do have. I am a huge fan of Quorn burgers & sausages though :D

It wouldn't bother me. I love meat. We wouldn't have grinding teeth if we weren't meant to be meat eaters. Mind you as a student physio I had to dissect bodies!

I lived on a farm for about 16 years, and always helped my dad kill chickens and turkeys, and had to skin and gut rabbits on a regular basis. There's very little that grosses me out, so killing my own food didn't bother me, and definitely didn't turn me vegetarian! Plucking the bloomin turkeys however...well that's just a job I hate! Could stem from the fact that every year we have to help my uncle pluck and dress the turkeys he rears...about 80 of the things! :( xx

Wonder if that was your uncle Bernard? ;)

One of the daftest thing I did was ordered Forelle in a German restaurant in the Mosel Valley (Forelle, if you didn't know is the German word for trout) to my dismay, the sever/waiter led me to a tank to "choose my fish" - you know, like you do with lobster!

On choosing my fish, I asked if that trout was now mine and he said yes. I immediately took it from him, stepped outside the restaurant and released it into the river outside!

True story that, I paid something like 24 deutsche marks(approx £10 at the time) for salad and chips! but I felt a whole lot better!

It was exactly that "pick your fish" thing that put me off fish for 17 years! I was 11 and animal obsessed and I didn't know exactly what was going on, it was in indonesia, I pointed at a fish, the hauled it outta the tank, chopped it's head off, gutted and started to descale it... I was FREAKED out, but i have grown up somewhat, though I don't like their beady wee eyes on me, I could happily hunt my own food- provided I had to!

double standards for the vegies though..
vegetables are living things too.. :cry:
dragged from their homes, killed, skinned and cooked.. sometimes you don't even skin them.... :)

never actually killed anything larger than a rat, but we did get a freshly dead lamb from the farmer on one scout camp...
they had to slaughter it for us for humane reasons, but it was still fairly warm when we got it..

I would HAVE to do it, I'm the same as blondee I could not live without meat, I love a nice big bloody steak, and now I'm thinking about going to my favourite restaurant for one!! think i'll have to get hubby to take me, you can have any size steak you want!!! 5-600g is normal for me!! yum yum

I could live without meat, I used to be vegetarian. There is no way that I could kill an animal myself, I hate creepy crawlies and spiders but I dont even like killing them! eg I get very upset if I stand on a snail in the dark lol so there's no way I could kill an animal, even if I was starving! x

I could raise animals for meat but I'm not certain I could do the slaughter myself.

I love meat and although I don't have it every day, I don't think I could give it up entirely.

I pride myself on buying good quality, high welfare, local meat and that's why we don't have it much. If I could afford it I'd have it every day :)

Back