If you only had a microwave??

MrsSlimToBeSample

OK so if you only had a microwave to cook something in, but you could get anything from the supermarket what would you have for a dinner/tea (must be warm & filling)

I get bored working my shifts with food and it throws me off plan on nights (days are "ok" as canteen is open & does some SW friendly dishes). I pretty much eat all my 3 meals & work so need something warm at least one of them, im fed up of pasta & sauce & jacket spuds & beans :eek:

errmm tinned ratatouille from Sainsbury's is only 2.5 syns and I like that on jackets (mainly cos i hate beans!)

it is a tough one though unless you are heating up left overs.....

If you have time you could buy a chicken breast slice it open stuff it wuth cream cheese and cook it in the micro, if you get some intast mash that only requires hot water, and a steamable bag of fresh veggies?

or jacket pot with steam veg gravy and a chicken breast??

If you have a toaster as well Beans on Toast will be a lovely warming meal for you using the Microwave.

You could have a Jacket potato with topping's such as -

Baked beans
Stagg Vegetable Chilli
Stagg 5% lower fat beef chilli
Chick Pea Dhal (Asda do a lovely tinned one)
Spaghetti hoops

I hope this will help you...

errmm tinned ratatouille from Sainsbury's is only 2.5 syns and I like that on jackets (mainly cos i hate beans!)

it is a tough one though unless you are heating up left overs.....

I forgot about that spagetti..thanks. I do try & make MORE @ meal times, but I never seem to make enough for an extra full portion, I must start doing this properly! thanks ;)

If you have time you could buy a chicken breast slice it open stuff it wuth cream cheese and cook it in the micro, if you get some intast mash that only requires hot water, and a steamable bag of fresh veggies?

or jacket pot with steam veg gravy and a chicken breast??

oooo thanks, again, I never think of cooking things like chicken/salmon etc in the micro, I see it of kind of an instant processed food warmer if you know what I mean, really need to stop thinking like that! Good idea on the steamed Veg as well. Thank you :D

If you have a toaster as well Beans on Toast will be a lovely warming meal for you using the Microwave.

You could have a Jacket potato with topping's such as -

Baked beans
Stagg Vegetable Chilli
Stagg 5% lower fat beef chilli
Chick Pea Dhal (Asda do a lovely tinned one)
Spaghetti hoops

I hope this will help you...

hmm no toaster im affraid :mad:

I will check out those Stagg things though, they sound nice to go with a jacket. Thank you ;)

oxo cube (in water), tin of carrots and some ready cooked chicken. Bang in the microwave for 2 mins, and a ready made roast dinner. (Use less water than necessary as the carrots contain quite alot).

Egg related meals?

Cook some sausages ahead of time chop them up, eat with beans?

Egg noodles in the microwave add soy sauce and veg afters (or even microwave the veg too?)

WW meals are quite good with regards to syns.
My fave is chicken casserole at 4 syns, and the chicken curry with rice is 3.5 syns.

Soup? Make it before you go to work and heat up?

So yeah, that's my thoughts.

oxo cube (in water), tin of carrots and some ready cooked chicken. Bang in the microwave for 2 mins, and a ready made roast dinner. (Use less water than necessary as the carrots contain quite alot).

Egg related meals?

Cook some sausages ahead of time chop them up, eat with beans?

Egg noodles in the microwave add soy sauce and veg afters (or even microwave the veg too?)

WW meals are quite good with regards to syns.
My fave is chicken casserole at 4 syns, and the chicken curry with rice is 3.5 syns.

Soup? Make it before you go to work and heat up?

So yeah, that's my thoughts.

some great ideas there thank you, my brain is clearly limited in its capacity to think outside the box :D

i think planning is really important when you are at work - i work in greggs so if i don't bring something with me its a nightmare with all the cakes and pasties around if you are hungry!

i usually try to bring in leftover dinner with me for lunch and just heat that up in microwave, i know it can be hard to have extra left but why not just when you are making dinner make twice as much as you need and just pop it into tupperware (or you get cheap microwaveable containers like the ones you get takeaways in i got 15 of them for under a pound the other day!) keep one in the fridge for work the next day and pop the rest in the freezer :) instant syn free readymeals and really easy and very cheap esp if its pasta or rice based! doesn't take long to do - same time as making your dinner really and means a ready supply of tasty food to bing in the microwave!

other than that i usually have pastansauce, savouryrice, fatfree supernoodles, couscous etc on supply for work lunches :)

X

oooo thanks, again, I never think of cooking things like chicken/salmon etc in the micro, I see it of kind of an instant processed food warmer if you know what I mean, really need to stop thinking like that! Good idea on the steamed Veg as well. Thank you :D

lol says me that always forgets and ends up moaning about only having a micro and only using it for supernoodles and pasta n sauce when at work lol!

Last edited:
It's not exactly 'healthy' (being a ready-meal), but the Light Choices Lamb Moussaka from Tesco is quite nice.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tesco Light Choices, Lamb Moussaka, chilled 350g pack[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
3 Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 3 Syns
green.gif
Green 6½ Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

If you add some steamed/tinned veg to it, it would make it more of a meal.

Obviously, homemade/fresh food is better, but if you are REALLY hungry could you phone in from an Indian takeaway? (I know, sacrilege!! ). It's not a permanent solution, but for an occasional treat maybe?

It's not exactly 'healthy' (being a ready-meal), but the Light Choices Lamb Moussaka from Tesco is quite nice.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tesco Light Choices, Lamb Moussaka, chilled 350g pack[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
3 Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 3 Syns
green.gif
Green 6½ Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

If you add some steamed/tinned veg to it, it would make it more of a meal.

Obviously, homemade/fresh food is better, but if you are REALLY hungry could you phone in from an Indian takeaway? (I know, sacrilege!! ). It's not a permanent solution, but for an occasional treat maybe?

I love that moussaka! The sw recipe for mousakka is ok but has a weird taste to it

I'm sure there is a LC salmon pie ready meal that is free on red/ee?

Sainsbury lamb shanks in mint sauce are free and you can do them in the microwave. You can also boil veg to go with it.

Im a fan of re-heating left over meals at work and in an evening I will have prepared breakfast and lunch for the following day and thought about what Im having for tea time as my time to do anything is limited.
You just really have to plan ahead and think about what you are having. Another thing I recommend buying is a microwave poacher and omlette maker - perfect!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tesco Light Choices, Salmon & Broccoli Pie, Potato Topped, chilled ~~ 400g pack[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green 8 Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

scotch eggs can be made in the mircowave
omlettes
jackets
bacon can be cooked in mircowave and sausage so u could have cooked breaky
if u r taking it to work u could make almost anything in advance and reheat it in mircowave curry, soup casseroles

Microwave cooking is really steaming. So anything that you could steam will work well. I recently did a fillet of white fish with sliced leeks which was quick and lovely.

I sometimes do a pouch of microwave rice with some vegetables, or with a small tin of M&S stewed steak heated in the microwave.

The best thing I ever bought was a microwaveable dish from the pound shop. It is a plain white plastic dish, with a snap-on lid. The lid has a moveable disk in the middle which has three holes for when you are cooking - it can be closed up for storage. I use it a lot for reheating soup and casseroles.

Back