if you were going...

bunny_hops

Violet is shrinking
to be trapped on a desert island,what one book would you have?

I was thinking about this the other day funnily enough.

If i could only have one book it would be As I Walked OUt One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee. His descriptions of Spain are so vivid, that it just brings it to life. Although it was written early 1930's i think, there are still parts of Spain once you get off the beaten track, that are still like that now.

When I was about 14 or 15 ( 40 odd years ago) my family took their very first foreign holiday to Spain. My parents wouldnt fly, so we got the ferry from Southampton to Bilbao and drove from Northern Spain down to Torremolinos on the Costa Del Sol. The trip across Spain took 2 days of driving, and the memory of that journey is still very vivid with me now. I cant remember where the first overnight stop was, although i can see it in my mind, but the 2nd night was in Madrid. Ive never been back to Madrid since, but i really should go. It is an amazing city. We drove down through the Sierra Nevada mountains which was stunning and very scary with its hairpin bends. Im sure the roads are much better now, but i remember feeling as though i held my breath for hours.

Laurie Lee's journey was by foot from Vigo to what is now the Costa Del Sol, and it has been my ambition for years to follow that journey through Spain.

I would take a foreign language book so that I could learn a new language while I was away. :)

I think I would take Her Fearful Symmetry, I'm loving it atm :D

No competition...... Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

A very thick one!;)

idiots guide on how to escape a desert island :p

omg! Horrible question! An 'entire works' collection of someone -anyone! Or ' A Guide to Getting off Desert Islands' by Tom Hanks.

The Lord of the Rings - by the time you get to the end, you've forgotten what happened at the beginning...

But actually - The Life of Pi by Yaan Martel. Or, Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. I read it when I was still a child, and it's always kept its magic for me :)

Martina cole. Any of them, I'd choose the thickest one!

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: A trilogy in five parts. No matter how bad or lonely I got, I could still have a giggle, as long as I had a towel as well.

For those who love Douglas Adams, don't forget it's officially Towel Day on the 25th May!

Back