I'm 350 pounds and going strong

fatmonkey

I'm currently 350 pounds, I know. Its a lot... But I have decided to turn a new leaf and begin the process of losing weight once and for all.

I have been reading lots on the internet about how best to lose weight. Trying to exercise a little but it just doesn't seem to want to shift.

Live in Phoenix, lots of restaurants around that serve unhealthy food and finding it hard to eat healthy..

Any tips and advice would be good.

Don't like the sound of the Cambridge Diet,.... Something better out there I'm sure.

Bill

I doubt you'll find much better out there than Cambridge to be honest. Although I'm sure its a different diet in the US isn't it? Well done on taking the 1st step though and acknowledge that you need to lose weight.

there are many forums on this site bill.
wanted to wish u the very best of luck but if u dont like the sound of the cambridge diet i think perhaps u posted in the wrong place as everyone here is on cambridge. :)

You probably will be hard pushed to find anyone on here that has done Cambridge and doesn't love it, so we will not be objective. But the simple fact is, that it is quick, easy, cheap, healthy and for many people, (even those so desperate they were considering surgery) it completely transforms your life. I have done countless other plans, over the past 15 yrs and have never acheived this loss before, and more importantly had the chance to address some of the 'head' issues about my eating. Whatever, you decide, minimins is a lifeline and can really help when the going gets tough. All the best xx

Milk shakes

But the Cambridge diet is based on milkshakes, is it not? That's just another slim fast diet and not a proper balanced diet that should be followed long term... Therefore its doomed to fail from the start.

Diet will only work if its something that can be adopted long term.... A balanced long term healthy diet... fish, vegetables, etc... maybe eat less of them sometimes, but surely that is the best approach... is it not?

Bill

But the Cambridge diet is based on milkshakes, is it not? That's just another slim fast diet and not a proper balanced diet that should be followed long term... Therefore its doomed to fail from the start.
maybe you should have a look on the maintenance board ;) might change your mind..there are as many people on cambridge that are maintaining years on ... as people on weight watchers etc or normal calorie counting

With a high start weight isnt anything worth a try :confused:

Maybe you need to go onto another board if cambridge isnt for you

Diet will only work if its something that can be adopted long term.... A balanced long term healthy diet... fish, vegetables, etc... maybe eat less of them sometimes, but surely that is the best approach... is it not?

Bill

So why haven't you already done that?

Cambridge may not be the long term solution in the sense that at some point you will need to learn to eat a normal healthy balanced diet, but what it does do is teaches you control and let's you get to a place where you can face youe demons and really make those life long changes.

If it was as easy as just saying we should all eat a healthy diet of fish etc, none of us would be here, we all know that already, but knowing and doing are 2 different thing

Good luck with whatever you choose, but talking from experience if you have reached 350 pounds, without now doing something drastic, you will be at least 350 pounds this time next year

Don't like the sound of the Cambridge Diet,.... Something better out there I'm sure.
Ooops bill I think you have posted this in the wrong section. For those of us who have done CD it has been one of the best choices we have ever made.
Good luck with what ever you chose

Bill

:feedtroll:

to be honest if all we had to do was eat less we wouldnt be fat in the first place now would we
those of us here on the CAMBRIDGE section of minimins are here because weve mostly tried other diets and LOVE cambridge.
maybe try the calorie counting section

That's just another slim fast diet and not a proper balanced diet that should be followed long term... Therefore its doomed to fail from the start.

Cambridge is not like slimfast. It has everything you need in the shakes, followed by low GI calorie awareness way of eating 'normal' foods. Therefore not doomed to fail from the start, well, unless you have a problem with a low GI way of eating?

A balanced long term healthy diet... fish, vegetables, etc... maybe eat less of them sometimes,

Fab. Best of luck :)

Think you have your proof in the many posts above that CD DOES work... KD for example, lost 8 stones in 2004 & still maintaining, Curly who lost 6 stone and as you can see looks awesome... even I am at goal and staying there. I was doubtful at first, too, but CD gives you all your nutritional needs to lose the weight and a carefully worked out plan that step by step helps you to reintroduce food and maintain on a healthy low GI way of eating that really can be forever. Google CD and find out more if you don't believe me.

Many of us came to CD after trying many other diets and failing, after despairing and even considering medications and surgery. CD is far less drastic, and it DOES work. As many have said, you are posting on the CD board here & will find we are all big fans of the CD diet as it has & does work for us.

You don't get to 350 lbs by eating healthy portions and choices, so maybe a period of time out from food, while knowing your nutritional needs are being met, could break the bad-choice cycle and give you time to work out the reasons you are overeating. This is what it did for me and many others. I know I will never go back to the way I was before... CD is a journey, and the best one I ever made.

It may not be for you, but don't dismiss it - it works. It changes lives.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

xxx

Seriously, what is the point of this thread? I honestly think it's someone just trying to wind-us up.

He didn't deserve any kind of response. You don't come on a CD forum and totally diss the diet!

Lynne
x

Last edited:
Hi,
thanks for the comments... Good to see all the replies...Im not 'dissing' the Cambridge Diet at all... it sounds very interesting... Just asking some questions trying to work out if its something I want to do.

Over the years I have tried so many things... Gone on some diets, lost some weight and then put more on after it...

Help me, I'm just a little cautious of diet schemes and want to know why this one is different. Im willing to try anything that will help me lose weight...

There are a lot of diet schemes on the internet.. and looking around before I jump... Any others people have tried>..

Help...

hey monkey, just try reading through some of the threads on this board, you'll find all the info you'd need on the diet.. dont think you'll hear a bad thing about it. abstaining from food totally helps you take a step back to really think about your old food habits. the results happen so fast it keeps motivation up to lose all the weight in record time so hence no boredom. depends how badly you want it i suppose... its quite empowering finding i have willower i didnt know i had. i've tried plugging away for months on end, cutting down, portion control, excersise.. 0.25lb, 0.5lb loses per week only made me quit from dissapointment. this diet does exactly what it says on the box..

Over the years I have tried so many things... Gone on some diets, lost some weight and then put more on after it...

Yeah, I did that too for years :( It seemed like the more I dieted, th bigger I got :eek:

For me, this diet worked because I could abstain from traditional food for a good period of time and watch the weight melt off. Ketosis to stop hunger and reduce cravings, very low calorie to get the pounds off quicker, and no measuring or decisions (short term). It was a joy to have a diet that didn't give me constant plateaus. A diet where I knew that a 'cheat', however small could bring me out of ketosis and mess up that weeks weigh in. It was a pretty unforgiving diet, but one that surprisingly kept me on the straight and narrow.

I researched it for ages before diving in, because I was terrified it would be 'too fast', or lacking something that I needed and it was important to me to stay well, obviously. My immediate health was more of a concern to me than getting into the next dress size down.

I was happy to find it had everything I needed and followed strict guidelines approves by NICE which our national health service follows. Also conforms to the safety standards set by the EU.

Spoke with my doctor, who was happy for me to do the diet, so I went for it.

The diet has a number of plans. Some with just shakes, soups and bars, which I followed most of the time. Others with low GI foods added and which include more calories and carbs. If a person wishes, they can do any of the plans, so basically can do the diet with normal foods added for the whole time, though weight losses tend to be slower. Depends which plan they do.

Towards the end of the diet, you work up the plans, adding more and more normal foods such as fruit, more veg, bread, cereals, pasta etc, until you finish the diet at goal. By then you are on 1500 kcals, and ready to step out into the world having spent at least 2 to 3 months using a diet that includes food.

8 stone later (that's 112lbs in your language) and I have a chance to start again. New body, new lifestyle, new habits learnt and much, much healthier :)

So why is it different from other shake type diets? Well, it's probably one of the most (if not the most), researched diets in the world. It's been going for 25 years. It is flexible (includes food at least at some points, and again towards the end). Dieters are monitored by counsellors. It can't be bought online, or even ebay. There has to be face to face contact.

It's very carefully thought out. Not just some odd bodd who's decided that it would be fun to put some ingredients together and call it a shake.

After all this, I think you may have a problem anyway, because as far as I know, even though the diet is sold in many countries, I believe it's not sold in the US (well, not the same as the UK diet). They have their own versions called Cambridge Original, or the Success Diet. Neither of which is much like ours, though there are similarities.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the essay.

Back