I'm a new girl!

LISE

Hi all,
I bin reading your posts for a few days now and it's so inspiring, I wanted to join you all.
I started the cambridge diet last Thursday 07/06/2007.
Have been sole sourcing and have been loosing 2lb per day, which feels great.
Unfortunatly I have been getting my shakes from e-bay as when I contacted a councellor last year (as recommended by my friend who had lost stones in no time) I was advised that because I was on anti- convulsants, I was not to do this diet in case ketosis made me start to fit. This scared the hell out of me and I went on with weight watchers, which is great for the first couple of weeks, until you loose half a pound or put on a pound after being sooo good. I got past Christmas and realised that I had been in ketosis before when I gave the atkins a try (unfortunatly too boring), and this was based on the ketogenic diet designed for epilepsy sufferers. However the lovely lady sympathised with me, but refused to supply me with my shakes and I have become a desperate woman!!!
I am 5' 1" and started this year at 15st 7lb, I lost a bit here and a bit there since Christmas and last Thursday's weigh in for the first time was 14st 10lbs.
I know I have taken a risk, but I promised myself that if I felt ill or dizzy at any time, I would stop straight away. However I feel great, my skin is better, my clothes are more comfy and I've lost 6lb in three days, I feel so well, I guess it's cause I'm getting the right amount of vits & mins that perhaps wouldn't be included in my diet so generously before.
Now that I have got into the swing of this I know I want to continue, but would prefer to go to a counsellor for support and indeed cheaper supplies as ebay sellers can charge the earth to peeps like me, knowing I can't get it from anyone else.
What are my chances of ringing a counsellor and being accepted now that I've tried the diet and am on it with no probs??
Bearing in mind I have not have a fit in 11 years and my medication is minimal, so consider myself low risk anyway.
I know I've taken a risk, so please don't lecture me, I am here for support.
All of us on this forum have got to the stage where you'll try absolutly anything to loose those stones, I just want to be able to have the same chance.
By the way things are going so far, I'm feeling really positive about this diet.
Would love some helpful advice.
Lise.

There are the higher calorie versions of Cambridge that do not put a person into ketosis, which would be fine for you. In addition, the ketogenic diet has been shown that for most med resistant epilepsy patients (and, actually, a lot of bipolar patients) the brain works better on ketones than glucose.

Im not sure about the medical things, you might try another CDC that will work with your doctor on the diet.

I know nothing about the CD diet but wanted to wish you goodluck!

good luck from me too x

hey hun

good luck with cd :D i believe if u are on this medication then ur doctor has to sign a form to say u can do this diet, apart from the ridicolous high prices from ebay you cant be surewhat u are buying or who from hun, am pretty sure you will be able to find a cdc who will help u wit this journey, its also about support, and as much as how amazin that is on here, ur cdc is a fab support too :D

i hope u manage to get something sorted soon :D

good luck and keep posting, i look forward to hearing of ya losses :)

xxx

Thanks to all who have replied in such a short time, your support is so precious. Am still feeling great, however no weight loss at all this morn!
Spoke to a friend who is a nurse and explained my prob, she too has done cambridge and swears by it, she also said that since I've gone so long without a fit and that my meds are minimal, she can't see why I can't carry on with this, however she did say that the most valuable part is the CDC, I explained that my doc is old fashioned and not a fan of 'fad diets' and insists that reg exercise & plenty of fruit & veg will do the trick just as well. She has said that as a nurse, she can sign the form and she will take responsibility for her signature.
She has only suggested I do this as she feels I should not buy from ebay any more where it costs a fortune (she too said I don't know what I'm getting) and she feels strongly about me getting proper advice and support to see this through successfully.
She also said that doc's such as mine should be educated, as we as a society are constantly told we are too overweight causing terrible dangers to our health and then when we decide to embark on a successful thing like this they brush it off saying it's a 'fad', her argument is fad or not, it works and it works quickly so support should be given to those of us who want to do something about our weight problem, at least we are tackling it head on.
Will let you know how I get on with contacting a CDC. Thursday is weigh in day, CAN'T WAIT!!!
Lise.x.

i think the first letter can only be signed by a doctor but someone else will confirm. either way, be persistant...maybe see another doc in the surgery if ur friend cant do the signing. just remember...when u go to see a doctor, u r not asking for their permission to do the diet...u are simply asking them to tick boxes to confirm what ur medical history is.
ur health is the most important thing but i do understand how frutrating it is to be held back by something that shouldnt be regarded as a problem. where r u from? there may be a CDC here that would help u.

best of luck and well done on the 6lbs loss :D dont be upset u didnt lose today...it'll even out and slow down after first week but u'll still lose a stone or so a month.

xxx

All the best Lise :) x

Hi all,
I bin reading your posts for a few days now and it's so inspiring, I wanted to join you all.
I started the cambridge diet last Thursday 07/06/2007.
Have been sole sourcing and have been loosing 2lb per day, which feels great.
Unfortunatly I have been getting my shakes from e-bay as when I contacted a councellor last year (as recommended by my friend who had lost stones in no time) I was advised that because I was on anti- convulsants, I was not to do this diet in case ketosis made me start to fit. This scared the hell out of me and I went on with weight watchers, which is great for the first couple of weeks, until you loose half a pound or put on a pound after being sooo good. I got past Christmas and realised that I had been in ketosis before when I gave the atkins a try (unfortunatly too boring), and this was based on the ketogenic diet designed for epilepsy sufferers. However the lovely lady sympathised with me, but refused to supply me with my shakes and I have become a desperate woman!!!
I am 5' 1" and started this year at 15st 7lb, I lost a bit here and a bit there since Christmas and last Thursday's weigh in for the first time was 14st 10lbs.
I know I have taken a risk, but I promised myself that if I felt ill or dizzy at any time, I would stop straight away. However I feel great, my skin is better, my clothes are more comfy and I've lost 6lb in three days, I feel so well, I guess it's cause I'm getting the right amount of vits & mins that perhaps wouldn't be included in my diet so generously before.
Now that I have got into the swing of this I know I want to continue, but would prefer to go to a counsellor for support and indeed cheaper supplies as ebay sellers can charge the earth to peeps like me, knowing I can't get it from anyone else.
What are my chances of ringing a counsellor and being accepted now that I've tried the diet and am on it with no probs??
Bearing in mind I have not have a fit in 11 years and my medication is minimal, so consider myself low risk anyway.
I know I've taken a risk, so please don't lecture me, I am here for support.
All of us on this forum have got to the stage where you'll try absolutly anything to loose those stones, I just want to be able to have the same chance.
By the way things are going so far, I'm feeling really positive about this diet.
Would love some helpful advice.
Lise.

Hi Lise,

One other thing you should take into consideration is VLCD can increase or slow down the absorption of some medication.

As Mike (Icemousse) said on another thread you are not asking your GP for permission to do the diet just his signature to say you are fit to do it.

You can't go better than here for avise and support:)

CDC

Cheers all, advice taken on board from all. Got an appt on Friday with CDC so will let you know how I go on. No loss again today but trousers are much looser, so that's a good sign. Will try to drink more water today, found it hard yesterday as I was out & about and only managed a 2 litre bottle of water and a few cups of coffee.
Have also been making shakes with 12oz of water instead of 8oz, so every shake uses up a liitle more of my fluid allowance and in this hot weather I've also been chucking ice cubes in the blender with it, this gives some texture and something to crunch.
Lise.x.

Back