I'm Back and Survived Disney !

Frontier-Phil

Silver Member
Hi Guys

How's everyone ?

Well reporting back from operation "Disney Paris".... everyone fit & well and accounted for!

It all went well, day one the weather was pretty damn awful as it rained all day. This did not dampen the teams spirits. We negotiated the Eurostar check in without a incident. Even managed to get through French police control without being questioned ( thats a first) I tan really easy heheheheh....

I noted that prior to boarding that little ones were sporting small Disney bum bags, my boy of course wanted one. This was the first challenge of the day.

1. To obtain Disney bum bag that are for 1st Class Disney resort passengers only ( we weren't)

After being told "NON" by the limp wristed French Disney rep ( Can I say that) oh well ! We switched to plan 2. Send the OH with the son just prior to telling him that the bad man is one of Hooks pirates and he wont let us on the train... resulting in son sobing :cry::cry::cry::cry: saying "please" numerous times to the guy......

Result : Mission accomplished... three bum bags and a complimentary buffet car voucher.:p:p:p:D

The journey was uneventful with my son being very excited.... asking nearly every minute "are we there yet" and "Daddy its raining" !! " Why is it raining":confused:

On arriving at the station , I was prepared for the scrum for the shuttle bus, but suprisingly ... and slightly disappointed it was very orderly. ( France - 1 GB - 0)

We had booked at the Santa Fe it looked a bit like a H Block ( prisoner cell block H for those who can remember). After a brief booking in procedure. I actually spoke in French OH yes!!! god bless you Miss Jones ( French Teacher) even impressed the OH.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

The room was a double and reasonable , clean and adequate for our needs. After a quick bite to eat... Mug shot and Muller/Fruit. Just as we left the room ,, Knock Knock!! on the door. My lad got to the door and there stood a very bubbley Creol lady " I nearly fell over when he said " Bonjour Sava" and the lady carried on chatting in french and he kept say " OUI " we deposited free water and a big bag a choccies for my lad...

Mission 2 Accomplished Obtained first freebie.

We decided to walk to the park via the river bank, taking about 15 mins, dodging the rain drops. We also decided to take a cheap Tesco stroller ( push chair) with us although at first my lad who is 4 yrs going on 24 yrs refused to entertain this mode of transport, saying he wasn't a baby anymore. I got him to carry his bag... suprise suprise five mins later " I really love my Push pram he said convincingly! :family2:

On arriving at the park I will always remember his face when he saw the disney Castle for the first time. He was amazed.....

The remainder of the day we managed to get on all the rides that he could get on. Although around 9 attractions were closed , which was disappointing as they were age and appropriate for him.

The crowds were bearable !!! and queuing around 20 mins at the height of the day.

My lad managed to get a photo with Mickey and Donald Duck as we run into them ( litterally) exiting the staff area in Discovery Land. The rest of the week posed a far more difficult excercise in getting within ten feet of them....

Anyway Buzzlight year, Flying Dumbo's, Pinnochio, were a first big hit.

The food was as expected very expensive, poor quality for what I could see. The average cost for a three course meal being £24 ( adult) £18 ( child). Snacks averaged at £6 per head.

We brought all our food with us.... oh yes and SW friendly for me and kiddy proof for the OH and my lad.

On returning back to our room, after seeing the gates close on day one. We tucked into our combo or Mug shots ( for me) Pot noddles, fruit, mullers, and cakes.

Mission 3 Accomplished ... Managed to set up a make shift kitchen in the room. Travel kettle and food store in situ.

The night I must say was the worst nights sleep I have had for years. My son wanted to bunk in with me..... BAD MISTAKE !!!! He was sooooo excited he talked until three oclock , kicked the S*** out of me for six hours. :eek::eek::eek:

Breakfast...... Ok this is a very lose term to the full on scrum down. Put it like this.... ( GB - 1 Rest of the world - 0) I must say you would be proud of us we flew the flag for good old blighty.
At one stage the buffet area looked like a scene from " Zulu" ...LOL !!

The breakfast is a buffet affair after queuing for 30 mins we were allowed into the collecting point ( sorry buffet area)
there was soft cheese /Nat yog, mixed friut, prunes ???.... three types of cereal including Special K, loads of bread, coissants, choc du pain. Sliced ham and salami. Cheddar cheese and gouda.
Free tea & coffee, hot choc. Fresh juices. Jam, maramalade, Oh and nuttella ( thank god) in little tubs.

I decided at this point that I really needed to do EE plan.

Mission 4 Accomplished managed to make ham & cheese rolls for OH and lad. stock up with nuttella. fill containers with ham and fill water bottles with friut juices and freah water.

I had also brought with me Branston relish to have with my meat ( taste better)

The journey back to the park was via the river again and by this stage the sun was poking through the clouds and the temp was up to about 18.... it was going to be a warm on.

The security point cleary said at the gates of the park. " You are not permitted to picnic in Disney" in short you can't bring food in...... the security were checking bags OMG we are busted.I thought, but NO they wereonly interested in bombs and guns ( We did have any of those) although the ham rolls looked pretty dangerous LOL...

The remainder of the day was wonderful, wall to wall sunshine..... and people. What the heck my lad loved evrey minute of the day.

The day ended same as the first day, with gates closing behind us. We dragged our very weary heads to our room. I must say we were all in bed by 10 and I don;t remember past 10:15. The room had been cleaned and we had fresh bedding and all the food we had hidden away was accounted for.

The next day we, put up a hard fight at breakfast and me being the prime hunter gatherer secured suitable contriband for the days lunch ( and nuttella tubs)

We decided to do the Disney Studio and the weather was fantastic very warm and sun all day. The park had the same rules of bring food in but we decided to leave the bombs and guns in the room ( Only kidding)
The shows were good, the park was smaller than the USA one and we run out of things to do. My lad loved the back lot tour. especially the explosions and all the water.We stayed to the end and walked home at the end of the day.

We were greeted with a cleaned room and a lovely powerful shower.

My lad was now so knackered his head hit the pillow and he was off to sleep.
The hotal was was quiet at night ..,suprising as there was so many latinos in the parks. They are just so loud !!!!:eek::eek: Oh and have no respect to rule of queuing or anything really.

My son made me laugh ... after a couple of days he was telling people not to shout and push in...... heheheheheh.

The last days saw the parades and about three shows. We got into the parks early in the mornings. Thsi is a perk if you stay in a resort hotel. Frankly it is not really worth it as there was only two rides open from 8am until 10 am when the park opens to the public.

We decided to eat at the cowboy BBQ...... this was a total waste of £40 and the food was disgusting!!! I had a chicken salad that consisted of rock hard lettuce three toms and five pieces of peper.Oh the chicken element was missing except for three fifty pence size pieces of chicken. I complained to be told tuff...... I showed the supervisor the picture of the salad in the menu . He agreed it didn't resemble the actual salad his staff was dishing out. He offered me a rfund which was excepted with gusto !!.

The last parade was great, he saw all the characters and as we left the park my lad said " I want to move and live in Disney :D:D Bless him. He then feel fast asleep !!

The jouney home was ok all the escalators were switched Off at the station and this was very awkward three bags , stroller and a tired 4 year old.
The french customs were very helful and actually very nice. Mkaing small talk we my lad. Who told the heavily armed french police officer that he had a gun and two swords and Daddy had hidden them in his case !!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I had to explain that we had bought them for him in the park and yes I was a security risk, and would he like to take my lad in for questioning ( not really!!)

Mission 5 Accomplished Managed to leave French soil without causing a diplomatic incident.

We managed to get seated in the wrong seats on the train and had to lug all our bags three carriages along five minutes before the off. The journey back was Ok with my lad losing all sense of reality due to delusional exhustion ( commonly known as Disney-itis)

I have now decided to WI at home as i missed my SW WI and OH YES.... I managed to lose 2.5lbs an added bonus to a great time.
I would thoroughly recommend the Disney experience .. if you are completely mad, in need of surreal escapism and have reacently won the lottery.

All joking aside the look on the your little ones face is priceless and well stay with you for ever. To them its all real and I love that!!!

Glad to be back :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Phil x

Last edited:
wow phil, what a great story - when's it out in paperback?! only joking, sounds like you had a great time and I'm sure your lad had an even better time and I am in total awe that you managed to stay on plan - many congrats!!

Welcome back! xxxx

wow sounds like you had a fun packed time, we are also considering Disney for a few days in the summer so this was interesting to read. well done on the weight loss too!

Sounds like you all had a great time Phil, good to have you back, and well done on losing too, that's excellent..

What a wicked post Phil!! Really enjoyed reading that, I've been to Disney 4 times and love it, I'd go every year if I could afford it (and didn't hate flying!).
So glad you all enjoyed it and managed not to gain!

On arriving at the park I will always remember his face when he saw the disney Castle for the first time. He was amazed.....

omg i know... isn't it amazing :D you should see *my* face too! :eek: LOL

The remainder of the day we managed to get on all the rides that he could get on. Although around 9 attractions were closed , which was disappointing as they were age and appropriate for him.

oh no! what a shame :( i'm surprised that so many were closed at such a good time of the year! (for example when we went in january only 2 were closed!)

My lad managed to get a photo with Mickey and Donald Duck as we run into them ( litterally) exiting the staff area in Discovery Land. The rest of the week posed a far more difficult excercise in getting within ten feet of them....

grrrr i SO know the feeling. total nightmare! i have no idea why so many parents think it's ok to shove their children forwards when you've been waiting for ages and they've only just got there! and even the adults push in!! :eek:

The night I must say was the worst nights sleep I have had for years. My son wanted to bunk in with me..... BAD MISTAKE !!!! He was sooooo excited he talked until three oclock , kicked the S*** out of me for six hours. :eek::eek::eek:

hehehe.. sorry, but that made me giggle :D

Mission 4 Accomplished managed to make ham & cheese rolls for OH and lad. stock up with nuttella. fill containers with ham and fill water bottles with friut juices and freah water.

yay! well done :D we do that every day we're there - really saves on buying food at the park :cool:

The security point cleary said at the gates of the park. " You are not permitted to picnic in Disney" in short you can't bring food in...... the security were checking bags OMG we are busted.I thought, but NO they wereonly interested in bombs and guns ( We did have any of those) although the ham rolls looked pretty dangerous LOL...

hehehe i told you about that! makes your heart jump into your mouth for a moment doesn't it :eek:

I must say we were all in bed by 10 and I don;t remember past 10:15.

yep - that second night is BRILLIANT for getting the kids to sleep :D

We got into the parks early in the mornings. Thsi is a perk if you stay in a resort hotel. Frankly it is not really worth it as there was only two rides open from 8am until 10 am when the park opens to the public.

i must admit we've never done the 'extra magic hours' as we're (*I'M* :eek: ) a lazy bunch lol... and really do like to sleep until about 7.30 or 8, then get to breakfast for about 8.30 or 9. which means we don't generally get to the park til about 10ish anyway. glad i haven't bothered now - thanks for the 'head's up'! ;)

The last parade was great, he saw all the characters and as we left the park my lad said " I want to move and live in Disney :D:D Bless him. He then feel fast asleep !!

the parades are wonderful aren't they :D that's the best part for me - the once upon a dream parade... let me guess, you still have 'just like we dreeeeeamed it' ringing in your ears? ;) :D

The french customs were very helful and actually very nice. Mkaing small talk we my lad. Who told the heavily armed french police officer that he had a gun and two swords and Daddy had hidden them in his case !!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I had to explain that we had bought them for him in the park and yes I was a security risk, and would he like to take my lad in for questioning ( not really!!)

hahaha that is SO funny - bless him! :D lol

not last time but the time before, we bought two guns from the cheyenne hotel, one we had underneath the pushchair and one in the suitcase... didn't think anymore about it until we went through the scanner in france on the way home :cool:

"do you have a gun in your suitcase madam?"

"no!"

"i think you do madam"

"no i don't!!!"

(dd says in a whisper) "yes you do mummy - you bought it while we were there remember?"

"oh, um, yes... sorry i forgot about that. it's a toy gun" :eek:

to which he asked me to get it out of the suitcase to show him it was a fake one - and it was buriedright at the bottom underneath all my not-so-neatly packed (thrown-in) clothes, which i had to root through and turf out onto the floor in front of the whole queue :eek:

then he found the one underneath the pushchair which i'd also forgotten about.. i felt like a first class criminal by the time i got on the eurostar :eek: LOL

The journey back was Ok with my lad losing all sense of reality due to delusional exhustion ( commonly known as Disney-itis)

oh yes, i know that! in fact i think i still have it :eek: hehe

I have now decided to WI at home as i missed my SW WI and OH YES.... I managed to lose 2.5lbs an added bonus to a great time.

oh wow phil, that's fantastic! you do walk a lot while you're there don't you? and with you sticking to the plan you deserved a good loss like that! :D

I would thoroughly recommend the Disney experience .. if you are completely mad, in need of surreal escapism and have reacently won the lottery.

100000% agree :D

All joking aside the look on the your little ones face is priceless and well stay with you for ever. To them its all real and I love that!!!

awwww don't! you've got me all misty-eyed again! i can't wait to go back!!!! :D :family2:

Glad to be back :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Phil x

glad to have you back! :D xx

LOL sorry about that :eek: :D once i start on disneyland i can't stop :eek: i think phil can vouch for that after the huuuuuuge PM i sent him before he went LOL :D

haha, this bit really did make me laugh!

sounds like you had the best time, and managed to somehow make disneyland sw friendly :O LOL even if it did envolve some illegal smuggeling haha

and to loose 2.5 pounds aswell! thats really fab, proberly all that walking you did.. i stayed at santa fe when i went years ago and not once do i remember walking to the park!? but also remember it resembeling a prison, and all the lantino noisyness LOL

woo go phil :D x

Sounds like you had a great time - did you manage to smuggle the contraband (food!) into disney....wonder if thats unique to France as we've always taken a picnic lunch with us in florida - maybe we've just never noticed the signs...though they give your bags a cursory check so sure they would have noticed one of my picnics!!!!

still not convinced on euro-disney - think I would rather wait and do the US ones...maybe california next time...

We've been to Disney both summer & Christmas. The week running up to Christmas is deffo best as it really is a great run up for the kids.

Wouldn't suggest flying back Xmas Eve though....last time we did that we got to CDG airport to find that due to fog it had been closed the day before, so was concequently an absolute nightmare!!

At one point we thought we were going to be stuck at the airport for Xmas as just as we'd checked in we were evacuated due to a bomb scare...we ended up stuck in the car park for hours not knowing if we'd missed our flight or not and it was the last flight back....fortunately all the flights were delayed aswell as a result....scary!!! LOL

It was like being there with you Phil. I love the descriptive detail. Have you thaught of writing a book?! Truely I did really enjoy your message and I am glad that you had a great time and a great loss.

wonder if thats unique to France as we've always taken a picnic lunch with us in florida - maybe we've just never noticed the signs...though they give your bags a cursory check so sure they would have noticed one of my picnics!!!!

I've not seen signs in Disney Florida and we always took some picnics in, but Universal & Islands of Adventure were VERY strict!

I have nearly wet myself laughing!! lol! Glad you had a great time-and still you lost weight!! Great going and nice you are back.

OMG Phil, I think my work colleagues think I'm going crazy! Reading your story the shoulder chuckle started and then with bursts of laughter every so often, of course they just see me looking at a computer screen! lol

Glad you had a good time. I am considering going at the end of the summer hols with my wee one. Would you say a 3 night, 4 day stay is enough?

K xx

Hi Kerry

I would say that 3 night 4 days is plenty to do everything. The parks are not as big as the ones in the USA.
I glad I gave you a chuckle.......

Phil x

Back