I'm back from my cruise!! Uh oh...

Seraphine

Follow up from here: http://www.minimins.com/atkins-diet/175574-heading-off-holiday-see-you-two-weeks.html

Hi everyone!

Well, I just got back today, and got back on the scales. I've had a 12 pound gain over 16 days - ouch.

The cruise was wall-to-wall food, and while I feel like I ate so much compared to my normal life, I was floored by the appetites of my fellow cruisemates. Oh my lord, the portions!!! There was a mid-morning buffet put on on the ships' promenade on the last day, and I saw all these people with 2 and 3 plates each, carrying food away. It's not like we'd not eaten for two weeks!

Okay, I admit I didn't stick to low carb. And I ate a few desserts, but I did push back from several things I found myself eating but not enjoying. And the last two days, as I've been flying across three countries alone with two small children and we had chocolate for breakfast today, so I'm not exactly an example of clean living.

You know what I guess I'm upset about? Is that I could have cruised low carb quite easily, but chose to eat carby things "as a treat". There was lots of bacon and meats and green veg around, but I'd been so strict for so long it was kind of nice not to be thinking about food. Yet I was so grossed out by so many things I ate (I tried a plain, non-fat, yogurt, and threw it out after one spoonful... gross!!) that I wondered why I was eating them. Oh, the psychology of it all!

On the plus side, I did get into my navy dress that my mom had in storage for me. I've last worn it about 13 years ago, and I was so tickled to be thin enough to get in it again. Yet I saw pictures of myself in it and still saw a fat person. Arrgg.

So, I've done my damage, and now it's time to get back on track. I have no food in my house so I'll go shopping in the morning, and will buy my lovely eggs and pork chops and prawns and will get back into ketosis. I'm looking at my updated stats and feeling sad, but also am trying to bolster myself against a Christmas season of non-stop food. I plan on coming off plan on Christmas day, but I have all intentions of living the Low Carb way from here on in.

Help me keep it up? I'm feeling quite low tonight.

Sera that's life! You had a bit of a lapse and gained a bit - in the grand scheme of things 16 days is but the blink of an eye petal! :)

Gather yourself, and get back on track, and in a few days you'll be back in ketosis and burning fat like the clappers! :D

Good luck!

Hey Sera

Welcome back - and actually I think you did amazingly well.

Don't worry about it hun, just look forward to watching the weight drop off again - because you know that works :)

dont worry it was your hols as long as you had a great time put it behin you and climb back on a lot of the gain will just be water

Hey Seraphine, sounds like you are just like me. I can put weight on so quickly and easily love. I've been where you are now. Back on track and clean and green will do it love. Welcome back. :)

Don't be sad - sounds like you had a nice holiday - it will soon go, mostly water weight, trust us - nice to have you back xx

Welcome back - you had a fab cruise! That's great.

I agree that the weight is mostly water - your glycogen stores have eagerly grabbed the carbs they've been missing for so long.

You'll soon be back on track and there is still plenty of time to lose the regain and more in time for Christmas.

xx

Welcome back petal don't be sad or down you had a great time that's the main thing and I bet you'll drop a good few pounds quickly and that'll motivate you xxx!

Well, I'm back on track today. Prawns and pork chops for a late breakfast, and steak and sprouts for my tea later. Lots of water. I'm feeling tired and headachey but that's probably more jet lag than anything. Oh, and it's star week... aren't I a lucky girl?

I had a blowout yesterday as I knew I was getting back on plan today. I had a big Galaxy bar, and a bunch of Chinese nibblies (prawn toasts, wonton, stuff like that), and while it was good, it wasn't THAT good. It wasn't like I remembered it, and I don't feel like doing it again (eating it just for the sake of it). I feel much better today - a bit remorseful, but still proud that I've learned from the experience. Next time I'm tempted, I think I'll have more power to push it away. It's not really worth it, is it?

The scale had a sudden, dramatic shift despite all that - even after the blowout, I lost 5 pounds since Sunday so it must have just been water weight from the flight. I feel a bit better about that! A seven pound gain in easier to deal with than a 12 pound!!

So, back on course - yay!! In a few days I should be back to my old self.

That's good to hear seraphine, see we told you. LOL.

Yep... I'd be turning a stick purple (if I had any sticks...) Am now just 2 pounds over my leaving weight - yay! Hopefully won't be long til I'm on the other side of that.

I was RAVENOUS yesterday, could NOT stop eating. Had pork chops, steak, more sprouts, cheese crisps (melted cheese on a plate in the microwave til crunchy), prawns... just constant nibbling it seemed. It's better today - I'm just about to make my first meal of the day and I haven't been hungry til just now.

Am trying to avoid doing the massive pile of travel ironing on my sofa. Too bad there wasn't more calorie burn in ironing to at least make it worth standing there all day.

Am freezing! All my warm clothes are also miles too big (a pair of old jeans and an ancient polar fleece that fit me when I was pregnant) so I look like a big polar bear. All my new "slim" stuff was all summer clothes for the cruise. Note to self - go buy some warm stuff that actually fits!

Thanks again for the continued support everyone! (I'm on the lookout for pics, but I don't have ANY of myself on my camera. When my husband gets back I'll check with him to see if there's any proof of my existance)

Back