Vegetarian I'm doing 5:2, in for the long haul!

Levin

Hello

Im a week into 5:2 and need somewhere to ramble, please join in if you wish!

Ive never dieted before and this year I really have to take it seriously. I dont think Ive ever been as big as this and bread has been my killer/best friend (pick one!) for years.

er Im a guy and Im 38 so need to not be fat on my 40th and forever more. This is my year and Im taking it.

only a week of 5:2 has shown me that I do not die of hunger, in fact it feels pretty great. I had loads to eat on Friday night and felt so so bad on saturday morning, not guilty but genuinely ill because of all the food. there's full and then there's ridiculous, I know that now.

I also read somewhere that this is how thin people think, "hungry is okay, I'll probably have a little something later..."

I actually get it. something finally sticks. Ive always known it but never really believed it.

Im going for the long haul here so Im not going to have such huge results each week probably but it does need to move in the right direction.

Here's to all of us and me - Im actually doing it.

Hi, my hubby is in the same boat, and he's just starting this with me because I've been slowly successful since starting in August with a break from the end of Nov until last week.

Off I go again!

keep on going x

I'm 38 and determined not to be fat at forty!! And have at least the last year of my thirties where I am reasonably happy with my body again :) good luck xx

Hi Levin, how's things going? X what DD are you doing? Do you set them or just do them when you fancy? :) I'm doing Mon, Weds and Friday. I follow Hannah's plan I do 5 - 5 which is brilliant :) x

Woo Good luck! My OH is tempted by 5:2 so maybe lookig how you're going will help! :) reading the book I'm pretty sure the men results/views on dieting were v. positive!

Hi everyone - thanks for all the positive comments!

Welshmamma Im doing straight 5:2 Mondays and Thursdays with weigh in on Friday morning.

Last week I split my calories all day but I find if I eat breakfast/lunch I'm actually hungrier all day, plus I'm really into the idea of fasting meaning direct actual fat burning. yesterday I had zero all day (just water and one black coffee) until dinner at 7pm which meant I had a 23 hour or something fast (dinner sunday was at 8). I got Moseley's book at the weekend and the science tends to favour periods of time without any calories (whether this be 12 or 16hrs).

weird that it's half past one and I havent eaten today, just two coffees. strange that I almost prefer the slightly empty feeling.

Smamfa72 and DeeCe - the book is actually very bloke friendly so i recommend for guys. It doesnt have the Stepford type 'smile through the desperation and have a bath' which some diets look like from outside. More the "hunger is okay, you will not die, deal with it" bloke friendly attitude!!

Good luck and all power to everyone!

Levin x

Thanks, that made me chuckle! I agree with the eating makes you hungrier, I find that I'm ok if don't have breakfast and just have soup for lunch, it's after eating tea that I feel hungry so I might try a full fast until maybe a light snack before bed if I'm hungry....

Well done Levin :) I think lots of people find abstinence easier ... I am one of those, find it easier to stick to fluids on fast days x hope u get good losses :-D x

Hello - so my 4th fast day, about to have dinner at 7pm but Ive been doing a mental "just a couple more hours" all day and I want to carry on! it is far far easier for me to have nothing but water and a couple of coffees - today they had the teeniest bit of milk, finding it hard to switch to no milk at all.

weigh in tomorrow - I'll be sure to post on here. There will be some loss because I started on the 14th so this is 1 week and 5 days.

I wonder whether a good loss will mean I celebrate with cake in a true I can eat whatever style or make me abstain even more... what effect does it have on you? weird that this diet maybe works better that way.. hmm.

thanks for posting everyone :)

hellooo

I'm doing 5:2 and fasting on Mon/Thurs too. Unforunately I'm already fat and 40 (41 actually) so determined not to be fat and 42! lol

I did the Breakfast/lunch thing today and am starving - but like you I like to have a really long fast from lunch til tomorrow morning.

When I lost 3lbs on the first week I didn't want to celebrate with food - which was rare for me! What sort of stuff are you eating on your Up days? I'm trying to be healthy as poss, but not depriving myself of something I want :)

Good luck.
Sharon

Hi Sharon

oops, dont mean to offend anyone, the bar can be at 40 or 50 or 80, its just time for me to do something about it!

I eat normally on Up days but an actual normal, not my previous normal! the past year I got into a habit of not eating much all day but then having cake and chocolate almost every night, kind of a nightly binge. My new normal is around 1700-2000 per day on Up days and Im doing well at sticking to 500/600 on fast days. Last week I counted every day and was around 1400-1700 each day, Im not counting this week but still have a fair idea that Im eating about 2000. I had a fair old Friday/saturday last weekend with 2700 and 2400 but it really didnt feel that great so Im done with that. Considering that guidelines for men is around 2500 then I think I'm doing okay!

I had oven chips and a fried egg one time, even a pain chocolat on Saturday. i dont want to fetishise the stuff I like so I still want to have them sometimes as that's what ruins the idea of most other diets for me. The idea of a tiny little slimline low calorie treat seems ridiculous, if I want chocolate Im having some, just not loads all the time which seems pretty reasonable to me!

I have a week off next week, fasting while being at home is going to be insanely hard I think, I'm gonna find a lot of stuff to do and go out every day for a walk.

after 2 weeks I'm loving 5:2. :)

Sounds like your doing really well :0) hope your WI is a good one :) x and yes a piece of cake is ok!! Just stop at a piece lol ;) x

So Weigh-in this morning.

start weight (14th Jan) 18st6, today: 17st13 - SEVEN POUNDS!!!!

woo-woo, so excited by this. I know a lot will be water but my BMI is down from 35 to 34 and I am loving the new regime, 2 days hardcore fast and still wine and cake sometimes.

First two weeks a huge sucess - havent felt deprived of anything at all and actually kinda love the fasting days.

Thanks to everyone for supporting on here - looks like 5:2 is definately for me! :D:bliss::D

Fantastic!! Well done! My weigh in is on Tuesday, but had a bit of a drinking/kebab accident last night :eek: so who knows! lol

Hi Sharon thanks for the support, keep at it, kebabs and drink is okay honestly! Stay hardcore on your fast days and we'll all get to where we want to be!

much love Levin x

Back