I'm going back to a vegan diet again, help with cd please!

Sunflowers

Wants to be a yummy mummy
I'm going to go back to eating a vegan diet again, I ate like that before h2b and I got together and my weight was stable at 10 stone and I felt really well.. I think, in part, eating the diet I have eaten since being with h2b really hasn't helped - not that's it's unhealthy, just I feel so much healthier and find it easier to maintain my weight with a vegan diet.. I still eat boiled eggs as we have our own girls and, as it's for health rather than not believing in eating meat/fish I still have fish about twice a month maybe.. A typical day of food would be:

breakfast - boiled egg with oat cakes and a handful of soaked almonds

lunch - roasted pepper stuffed with millet, onions and pine nuts served with brocolli and some kale or something

supper - large mixed salad (dark lettuce, cucumber, peppers, radish, raw onion, avocado, sunflower seeds, sprouted seeds) with some buckwheat pancakes (buckwheat flour, egg, soya milk plus loads of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, linseeds and ground chickpeas, very nutrient dense and very filling!!) with some houmous..

If I want a snack I'd probably have some oat cakes with some nut butter, usually almond..

We eat loads of lentils, pulses, beans, tofu etc etc anyway so would just have more.. Spelt is wonderful too, they do some fabulous spelt pizza bases and you can get a soya cheese which is a mozerella effect one - melts well and tastes great!

Soba noodles are yum (noodles made out of buckwheat) and nori rolls (like sushi but without fish) can be filled with all sorts - veg, houmous, sprouted seeds etc etc!)

When I'm eating this kinda food our diet is more varied than when I ate meat and fish lots!!

So.... How do I eat this sort of stuff on the CD?? What do I do for the 1000 plan etc? Any help would be appreciated!! Also, do they do a vegan tetra?

Thank you in advance for your replies, would be really interested to know what any veges or vegans eat on the plan!!

xx

Hiya

Ok first things first!

There isn't a vegan tetra :-(

In terms of the 1000 plan then you are certainly restricted as a strict vegan, you do have the tofu obviously as an option and I have that Quorn is also acceptable but obviously cottage cheese and the meat is a no no.

I seem to remember Linda having a vegan customer some time ago and posting recipes on this, or was certainly involved in a discussion, let me mail her over and see if she has any more info.

Are you looking at doing a week on each stage 1000, 1200 and 1500 to stabilise before moving off completely or looking for further weightloss using Cambridge ?

M.

Sunflowerbride ( this time next week....!..oooo...exciting!!)
Anyhow, back to the post, I cant help with the vegan diet thing but thanks for posting...because...Yum! Everything sounds so scrummy. I love all these nuts, seeds and lentils. (Actually I love all food, hence the diet!) Some new foods I will chase up when I'm off maintenance. Thanks.
Ceri

Hiya

Ok first things first!

There isn't a vegan tetra :-(

OK.. IS that because there isn't a dairy free one or does it have gluten or something in it? Do they do dairy free shakes at all instead?

In terms of the 1000 plan then you are certainly restricted as a strict vegan, you do have the tofu obviously as an option and I have that Quorn is also acceptable but obviously cottage cheese and the meat is a no no.

Fab, can do a wonder of things with tofu!! What about things like spelt or buckwheat? Or seeds or nuts??? On the bright side, even though I would only be eating tofu at least I would be getting vitamins and minerals from the drinks!

I seem to remember Linda having a vegan customer some time ago and posting recipes on this, or was certainly involved in a discussion, let me mail her over and see if she has any more info.

Thanks Mike, that's really kind of you and very much appreciated!

Are you looking at doing a week on each stage 1000, 1200 and 1500 to stabilise before moving off completely or looking for further weightloss using Cambridge ?

Difficult one.. I go on honeymoon next week so wont be doing CD at all while out there.. And how much I can do when I get back depends on whether I'm pregnant or not!! (Find out on honeymoon!) If I'm not then yes, will do 1000 plan while losing any weight gained on honeymoon and then move up through the plans, I'm 10st 11 at the moment and want to get down to 10st 3ish, that half a stone would probably go quite contentedly by the time I've moved up through the plans!! If I ~am~ pregnant - well that will be a whole new thread on what I can do CD wise!!!!

M.

Thank you so much for your reply Mike, it's really appreciated!! You take care of yourself and carry on getting better!!

Sunflowerbride ( this time next week....!..oooo...exciting!!)
Anyhow, back to the post, I cant help with the vegan diet thing but thanks for posting...because...Yum! Everything sounds so scrummy. I love all these nuts, seeds and lentils. (Actually I love all food, hence the diet!) Some new foods I will chase up when I'm off maintenance. Thanks.
Ceri

Hiya Ceri!!

Yeah, I know, madness!!!!! Went to church this morning and it's really strange, after Evensong tonight the next time I'll be there is when I'm getting married!!!

Yeah, h2b was really wary when I introduced him to half of the foods I cook - but he really likes them now!!!!!

They do a lactose free mushroom soup sachet and a lactose free chocolate and vanilla, your counsellor would need to order these usually but the mushroom is lactose free by default.

If your counsellor calls Gill at head office then she can explain what is and isn't allowed and also may be able to offer some recipe ideas outside of the standard weight care book.

M.

Ok fab..

Will wait til I get back of honeymoon to see if I'm pregnant and will take things from there.. I could probably ask my cdc to find out what sort of meals I can eat while Im away actually!!

Thank you Mike, you've been really helpful!

Sounds like a plan! Have a lovely honeymoooooon!

M.

Thank you Mike, we're staying at a really lovely country hotel for a couple of days then flying up to London, staying overnight at the airport and then flying out to St Lucia for 10 nights!!

Can't wait!!!

(And thanks to the cambridge diet the first thing I packed in the case were two bikinis!!!)

Only the three shakes are okay for vegans as the others all have skimmed milk.

Other options are: THIS HAS NOT TRANSFERRED WELL ENOUGH IF YOU EMAIL ME I WILL SEND WORD VERSION TO YOU [email protected]

Cambridge Health and Weight Plan Programme

Vegetarian options on the various programmes.

For 790 programme the options are:

Choose one protein rich food

g protein

kcal

350g (12oz) reduced fat cottage cheese
300g (10oz) Quorn pieces,
375g (13oz) Tofu, steamed.
80g dried weight red lentils.
225g canned chickpeas, drained
70g dried weight soya beans
80g dried weight chick peas

For Step 3 dinner (3a)of 1000kcal programme
The options are:
Starchy food examples
Vegetable
Fruit
Protein source – as dry weight

Just soak and boil
Soaked, boiled and then add - 1 small onion, 1 tsp garlic, 20g tomato puree and dry spices. No cooking oil allowed for.
40g cous cous
85g broccoli
200g raspberries
95g aduki beans
75g aduki beans
40g basmati rice
90g cauliflower
100g apple (1)
80g lentils
60g lentils
40g brown rice

100g kiwi (2)
70g soya beans
55g soya beans
150g sweet potato

75g chick peas
60g chick peas
200g new potatoes

80g black eye beans
60g black eye beans

I haven't had a truly vegan customer before however Lainey has I will send her a link to this thread.

Linda

Last edited:
Linda that's great!!!

I absolutely LOVE chickpeas!!!! (Guess I'm not allowed tahini paste and olive oil to make them in to houmous though?? ;) )

Thank you very much!

x

Hi SFB!

I had a vegan client (now maintaining target weight). She didn't have an overly large amount of weight to lose intially, but I must admit, I never thought I'd meet someone overweight due to too much fruit (amongst other things!)! Even her dog was overweight as she kept giving it grapes to munch on with her!!!
I learnt Sssssooooooooooooo much from her! I guess the secret - like any everyday diet - is everything in moderation! So although we all know fruit & veg is great for you, it still contains calories! If you eat a humungeous bag of grapes every night, plus slices of melon, pineapple, savoury vegan dinners, nuts galore, plus her main addiction, salt 'n vinegar crisps - then of course, weight will be gained. She learnt the key for her personally was portion control. She did run excessively, competing in lots of charity runs etc, so needed to fuel herself, but watch the amounts at each sitting.
Unfortunately for her in the beginning, she was told by her first CDC that ALL the products were fine to use - DOH! After decades of being a strict vegan (no leather shoes in her closet hunny!) and several buckets of tears later, we manage to sort out a variety of options for her. She used all the lactose free products, but when going up the stages of CD, for meals we suggested lots of homemade vegetable soups, fruit smoothies, and many dinner suggestions using all the meat substitutes, with a huge helping of recipe ideas from her existing knowledge.
I'm sure if you've followed a vegan diet before, you'll have tons of suggestions to follow, but constantly think of your portion sizes!
The mix-a-mousse is also a no-no, but you may be okay to use that if your not so strict with your beliefs? That way, although you only have the 2 sweet sachets, you could still make mousse desserts with them?
My client used to buy the huge bags of nuts from Costco. I suggested she bag them up into smaller zip-seal bags into little portions, so if she wanted some, she didn't have the temptation of the massive bag in front of her! Also, make large pots of soup, stews, casseroles (using meat subs) and freeze into smaller portions. Otherwise, you find it way too easy to return to the pot for 2nd helpings!
I know there's tons of stuff I suggested to her, but my brain has died, so if I remember any thing of use, I'll mail again!!
Happy to say, I now only see my lady quarterly, as she's got her everyday diet sussed! Yay!

Thank you so much Lainey, that's REALLY helpful!!

The reason I'm going back to it is for health reasons - as you say, not because I'm a strict vegan (sorry if that offends anyone!).. I have a pot of mixamoose in the kitchen, not terribly sure how much of it I'll use though anyway!!

Actually, my portions are really small at the moment anyway - I cant eat anything like as much as I used to!!

With respect to fruit, I eat very little of it because of all the sugars in it - I get my vit c etc from veg rather than fruit.. I know what you mean though - when you're eating something that's healthy it's very easy to forget that it's still high in calories - I used to know someone who drank over a litre of fruit juice each day and moan she was getting (slowly) heavier even though she was calorie counting but she'd not counted the fruit juice in, she was staggered to realise that a carton contained just shy of 500 cals and, combined over a week, added up to the 3500 cals to put a pound on each week (which explained a lot, she was really baffled bless her as to why it was going up!)..

For me, nuts would be my weakness as I always have a handful of almonds at breakfast.. One way I'll overcome that I think is where I always soak nuts (there are loads of mould spores in dried nuts and dried fruit.. If you soak the nuts overnight in the fridge all the mould spores come out in to the water - I'm allergic to mould and this helps A LOT!!!) - I used to soak enough for three days (just changing the water daily!) but they never used to last for three days funnily enough because each time I went in the fridge when I was cooking I'd have another one!! So now I'll only soak enough each night to have for breakfast!!

Yeah, up until a few months ago I was really in to running half marathons but I slipped on a wet floor at work and have been in a knee brace ever since.. I couldn't even walk 3 miles, let alone run it at the moment!! Looking forward to getting back in to the running one day!! My physio is really hopeful I might be digging those trainers out by the end of the year, it's slow (and frustrating!) progress - but I'm making progress so all's good!! What's really great though is when I injured my knee last time I put on 3 stone in 3 months.. This time I've lost 2 stone in 3 months and am so happy with that, considering I couldn't even weight bear for a few weeks to lose all the weight is a real achievement in itself!!!

Back