I'm looking for a good curry recipe

MiniMarge

Hi
Just defrosted a curry made from fromage frais, it was a disaster. Anyone got a good tasty curry recipe that will freeze well? I've tried a few (with yogurt too) and there just not that tasty and they don't reheat well.
Thanks

I suppose it depends what curry you like - the creamy ones that you add yoghurt/fromage frais too aren't great for freezing and reheating, but as I understand it in most of those recipes that yogurt gets added at the end of cooking, so you could try and freeze the sauce without it and then add it when you reheat. Other than that, you can try different kinds of curries that don't add any "cream" type ingredients. One of my favourite SW recipes is this which I've frozen before and it's been fine :)

EGG MASALA - serves 2

4 HARD BOILED EGGS – HALVED
½ TSP CHILLI POWDER (or to taste) ..............½ TSP TURMERIC.....................1tsp GARAM MASALA
2 TSP CUMIN POWDER ......................................1TSP CORIANDER POWDER
1 TSP LEMON JUICE.......................................... SALT AND PEPPER
½ TSP CUMIN SEEDS ........................................¼ TSP SUGAR/SWEETENER
75 GMS ONION – FINELY CHOPPED
½ TSP GINGER PULP .........................................1TSP OIL - 2 SYNS
250 MLS CHOPPED TINNED TOMATOES
4 TBSP CHOPPED CORIANDER
METHOD

Put the chilli, turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala, lemon juice,salt and pepper and 1 tbsp water into a bowl and mix.
Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and 10 seconds later put in the onion and ginger and stir-fry until the onions are brown. Add the spice mix, stir and cook for 15 seconds then add the tomatoes and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10mins.
Add the fresh coriander and mix then add the eggs to thesauce, spooning a little of the sauce over the top of them. Cover the pan and let it simmer gently for 2– 3 minutes until the eggs are warmed through.

This is my egg curry recipe but I use the sauce for different ones - also make it in larger quantities and freeze in 1 portion pots.
Don't freeze the eggs.:)

The dairy food in it makes it "split"when you freeze it. When you use a tomato based sauce it freezes beautifully - my freezer looks like an Indian take away sometimes as we eat lots of curry and make 6 portions and freeze 4 - mostly veggie ones.

Last edited:
Chicken Curry - serves4 - 4 syns whole curry
Ingredients:

4 cloves or large pinch of clove powder
2 tsp ground coriander ------- 2 tspground cumin 1tsp chilli powder or to taste.
¼ tsp turmeric ------- 1 tbsp garam masala (without chilli)
2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
2 red/green chillies – de seeded and finely sliced

1 largeonion – finely chopped
300g potatoes - peeled and cubes
454g skinless and boneless chicken breasts pieces
2 tsp oil .............................................................................................or use spray and lose syns but spices cook better
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tsp sweetener
312ml stock made with Bovril
salt & pepper
a handful of fresh coriander
steamed basmati rice to serve

Method:
Mix all the dry spices together – (up to garam masala)

Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and cook the onion over a low heat for 10-15minutes. When the onions are soft add the spice mix and cook for a couple of minutes to coat theonions, keeping the heat low.

Mix in the ginger/garlic paste, add the chillies and continue to sauté in thespices for a couple of minutes. Add the potato and chicken pieces to the panand cook for a further 2 minutes or until coloured.

Pour in the canned tomatoes, sweetener and stock. Mix well, season and bring to the boil. Simmer for 45minutes or until the potatoes and chicken are cooked through.

Meanwhile chop the fresh coriander. Servesprinkled with the coriander and steamed basmati rice

This is a R. Conley recipe but good for SW
THAI STYLE CHICKEN CURRY serves 4 ...........................NO Coconut
Marinating time 1 hour cooking time 30 minutes

For the paste:-
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tbs ground coriander
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground fenugreek
2-3 small whole fresh chillies – or powder to taste
seeds from 4 crushed cardamom pods or 1 tsp cardamom powder

Rest of ingredients:-
1 large onion – red if possible – finely chopped
4 large skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tbs tomato puree
600mls (1pint) chicken or veg stock – use a cube
1 tbs tamarind paste (NOT concentrate or use small amount dissolved in the hot stock) or fruit chutney
2 tbs chopped fresh coriander

METHOD
Make a paste by grinding all the paste ingredients together in a food processor or liquidiser. Scrape the paste into a bowl then rinse the processor bowl with a little of the stock. Add the chicken pieces to the paste and mix well. Allow marinating for a minimum or 1 hour or ideally overnighting.
Spray the pan and cook the onions until soft or boil them in a little water until they have cooked and the sauce thickened. Add the chicken and cook for 5 – 6 minutes, stirring continuously. Add the remaining ingredients except the fresh coriander and simmer gently for 15 –20 minutes until the sauce thickens and the chicken is fully cooked through.
Just before serving stir in the fresh coriander.

Thanks a mil. Never thought of freezing them without the yogurt.
Will give them all a try over the next few weeks. I love my currys :) thanks

I do the one with blitzed cauli, chicken stock and curry powder; really creamy sauce!

2 large onions
1/2 pint stock
2 tsp tumeric
the seeds from 3 cardamom pods
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground corriander
2 tsp cumin
chilli powder (as hot as you want it)
1tbsp grated ginger
3-4 cloves of garlic
3-4 chicken breasts diced
200g ish fat free natural yog
corriander leaf dried or fresh
salt and pepper
coconut essence

blitz the onion up with the stock until its a smooth puree then add to a saucepan and reduce until thick and slightly golden in colour 20min ish add all the spices and cook on a low heat for 10 min add the ginger and garlic and cook for 5 min add the yog (about 1/3 of a big tub)ish and coconut essence to taste (you can leave it out but it tastes fab without the calories of coconut milk) i got mine for 2 quid on ebay. fry chicken until browned sprinkle with corriander leaf then simmer in sauce until cooked

IF FREEZING LEAVE OUT YOG AND JUST STIR SOME IN ONCE RE HEATED

Hi, I've just had chicken curry for my tea.. Got the recipe off of here it's yummy and so easy to make

Cauliflower
Chicken stock cubes (I used veg as didn't have chicken)
Curry powder

Cover the cauliflower in the stock made with boiling water, leave to soften, blend until smooth then add curry powder,
I didn't think it would be very nice but was very surprised,

I added chicken and onion and served with rice.

Heres a gorgeous syn free curry I found on the net about six months ago. Have been making it ever since and has also gone down very well with friends and fellow SW class members.

Chicken Curry

Chicken pieces ( I add the smart price chunky chicken cooked breast but I guess any sort does)
Fry light
2 large onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp curry powder (Schwartz mild)
500ml oxo beef stock using two cubes
1 tbsp tomato purée
1/2 tsp sugar
Several shakes of Chinese five spices
A few shakes of ground ginger
2 tbsp Greek-style yoghurt
salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
Whatever veg you like such as Mushrooms, courgettes, cherry Tomatoes etc

Spray fry light into pan and fry onions for about 5 mins
Add curry powder and garlic and fry for a further minute.
Add stock, Tomato puree, ½ tsp slender and salt and pepper, Ginger, Chinese five spices and chicken & veg. Bring to boil, cover, simmer and cook for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.

Add yoghurt 1 minute before serving. --- Goes lovely with Basmati rice.

Taste delicious with or without the Greek yoghurt.

[h=6]Sweet and Sour Balti

3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp very low fat natural yoghurt
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp mango chutney (4 syns)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sweetener

2-3 chicken breasts
1/4 pint water
1 fresh green chilli
6 cherry tomatoes
6 mushrooms
3tbsp fresh coriander

Method
blend together the first set of ingrediants, warm through in a saucepan then add chopped chicken and coat thoroughly.
when the chicken is cooked through add the water to thin the sauce, add the mushrooms, toms and chilli til cooked.
just before serving add the fresh coriander, serve with rice.[/h]

Quick and simple curry sauce like like what you get from the chippy. Lovely over s/w chips. This got mentioned in my group this week and it sounded so peculiar I had to try it! It was delish!

1 tin of tomatoes
1 tin of mushy peas
Curry powder to taste

Heat up and blitz with a blender till smooth.

This recipe uses only five spices and is so incredibly fragrant, it freezes really well. Most recipes on my blog are already synned , some free syns try clicking on spicy fare on the tags in the right hand column or underneath the post.

GIVEN TO DISTRACTING OTHERS: Mighty Spice Cookbook and Chicken Kadahi recipe

Brilliant book - just watched him make that on Mighty Spice Cookbook: Over 100 Fresh, Vibrant Dishes - Using No More Than 5 Spices for Each Recipe: Amazon.co.uk: John Gregory-Smith: Books

I am enjoying reading your blog - thanks for the link.

I posted a really authentic Dhansak recipe quite a while back. Do a search for Dhansak, & it should come up. Freezes beautifully, & my husband loves it.

Back