I'm struggling.....

Bigchops

Sorry for bombarding the board today.... but I'm struggling abit.

Not with the eating as such, I'm feeling full most of the time and don't really feel like I'm on a diet but I'm struggling with what to eat.

I thought it would be easy, ie eating as much pasta as you like etc but it's what to have with it that I'm stuck on.

My c mentioned something about packet rice too but I didn't take it all in, is there packet stuff I can eat (for lunches) like super noodles etc which don't need much thought or cooking (as I run after 22 month old twins lol).

I like alot of flavour on my food, I'm also struggling with my shopping list as we are on a tight budget so I'm trying to include dh in on the evening meals....

What do you have for breakfast???

Sorry to go on :( and thanks in advance

Gail x

Batchelors savoury rice are free on a green day and I would assume on extra easy, but as I only do green day's I wouldn't swear to that. I take them for lunch to heat up at work with a chopped up veggie burger in or you could use quorn sausages that are free. Alternatively just make extra that you have for dinner and take leftovers for lunch the next day.
You can also have jacket spuds with beans for free on a green another easy lunch and a cheap meal.
For breakfast I tend to have weetabix with a HEXA milk if I am working as its quick and easy.
Hope that helps you a bit

Hi Gail, one thing I would suggest is passata as a base for sauces. I use it loads to make chilli, spag bol, curry, sausage casserole - it's pretty cheap and with a few herbs/spices and onions added it's very tasty!

As for breakfast I really like nat yogurt with some frozen summer fruits which I microwave up - releases all the yummy juices!, then slice banana on top and crumble up honey nut shredded wheat on the top. It's not something I would have eaten before but I love it now.

I'm sure you'll get loads of people with ideas soon. I bet those twins keep you busy, not easy to get on top of planning meals I wouldn't think! Ooh...also couscous is great as you only need boiling water - the Ainsley Harriott ones are really tasty and pretty low syns.

another option for the pasta sauces is passata with laughing cow extra light cheese triangles melted in and mixed in with your pasta (6 triangles are a HEB), this makes a gorgeous cheesy sauce and is really filling too

The other thing I like is a potato salad. If you can't be bothered cooking them I have been known to buy the tins! Chopped up with peppers, tomatoes, cucumber ,spring onions, mangetout and hellmans extra low mayo. (1 syn I thinkfor 2 dsp) If I think I'll be extra hungry I add chickpeas, or kidney beans.

For breakfast I have 2 weetabix (hex b) with milk (hex a) and a chopped up banana on a work day and scrambled egg on toast (hex b) at the weekend. Also sometimes half a grapefruit if I'm really hungry!

For lunch I often have left overs to heat up at work. Other regulars are tinned spaghetti on toast (free on G + hex b), Ainsley Harriot couscous sachets (free - 2 syns on G depending on flavour), low fat super noodles (free on G), jacket pot with a whole tub of low fat cottage cheese (free on G).

Oh and last night I had a FREE smash pizza. It was fab! Basically use mash as a pizza base by rolling it out thin and baking for 10 mins or so with frylight. Then cover with passata, veggi toppings and cheese (hex a).

Awww girls, thanks so much that has helped loads.... :D

Dearfatty, the savoury rice with quorn sausages sounds nice, will try that, thanks.

Metermaid, have you got a recipe for sausage casserole? Also, love the breakfast idea, will be trying that one. I think I've eaten toast for breakfast for the last 2 years and a healthy change will do me good. Are the honeynut shreded wheat a syn? or a hex?

Taz, what sauces (for pasta) do you use that are free?

Rachelina, thanks for that... I'm not a big fan of just tomato sauces so adding the cheese would be a good idea for me.

Judimac, potato salad isn't something I would have thought of but I really love to will try that too.

Jen, thanks very much for all of that, I love the ainsley harriet cous cous, normally eat that (or the Tesco ones) with salmon. Which ones are free on a green day?

I'm really ooking forward to going food shopping now.... :p

Gail x

The Batchelors Pasta n Sauce, in the packets. One or two of them have half a Syn but most are free

Hi, the HN shredded wheat are on the cereals list and are a HEx (28g I think but I only use about 6 as find that enough and I count this as half a HExB). Oooh, I've never been asked for a recipe before, the sausage casserole is my own, so here goes.....

I cook a pack of low fat sausages in the oven until nice and brown (usually Tesco lighter choice, or is that Sainsbury's anyway the vlf ones are 1/2 syn or even no syns each, they need a spray of oil or they stick big time as no fat to cook out of them!). Then I chop these into 5 pieces each.

Meanwhile fry an onion (I use a little olive oil for this as I don't like Fry light for onions!), chop two courgettes and add to the onions, then garlic and a red chilli. To this I add 2/3 jar of passata, then hit it with the herbs and spices, usually combination of wholegrain mustard, paprika (smoked is nice), oregano, basil, dry mustard powder, Lea & Perrins, whatever - don't be shy! Oh yes and one of those Marco Pierre White stock pot thingies - the chicken one usually.

Add the sausages and simmer for 30mins or so. Last time I had some left over veg so that went in, cauli and carrots and some puy lentils too. That way it made loads of meals - we love it!

Hiya.

I couldn't live without my slow cooker. Shove lots of ingredients in to make chillis, curries, stews, soups... almost anything! Then leave them either overnight or during the day and forget about them until meal time. I make big batches too so I can freeze them and have them during the week.

Ainsley Harriott cous cous (per 100g cooked):

moroccan medley = 1
spice sensation = free
tomato tango = free
wickedly wild mushroom = 0.5
cirtus kick = 0.5
roasted vegetable = 0.5

Get yourself a food directory, most of the branded and supermarket stuff is in there. It has given me ideas on what to eat. You can get it from group or I got mine from a well know internet auction site!!

Good luck Hun! I recommend slow cookers too!

Yum! All sounds great!!

FYI, Morrison's Eat Smart pork sausages are free on Original and Extra Easy days.

Also, for pasta, if you like creamy sauces, try using a whisked egg + quark - add this to your veggies/meat a few mins before serving just to cook quickly and then mix with the pasta. It makes a thick and creamy white sauce. If you have a HEx A to spare on some cheddar or blue cheese to melt in or grate on top, it's even yummier!!

For a super quick meal, I cooked a yum stirfry in about 5 mins tonight using stirfry veggies, Cauldron beechwood smoked tofu - 0.5 syns per half pack (and REALLY good!), oil as HEx B, Amoy Straight to Wok noodles, squeeze of lime juice and soy sauce. Different and gorgeous!

Happy experimenting! :)

Thanks girls, you've all been lifesavers....:D

Def going to try the sausage casserole... I had a slow cooker up until recently but it broke and I have no money at the moment to buy a new one:(

Will def look out for the food directory too, thanks

Vici, those recipe's sound great too, thanks

Gail x

Or you could try freecycle. People put slow cookers on there all the time x

Don't know about other classes' but our con. is selling the food directories half price as new one's are due out soon.

Hey Gail,

You can get a 1.8ltr slow cooker in Asda for £8 - and it's even dishwasher proof!! This is the one I have and I LOVE it!!! :)

Back