Image Therapy

Thanks for your replies everyone. If that's the way they do it then that's the way I'll go, I'll just roll with it. I think I was hacked off because I'd sat and listened to a list of huge losses, with members announcing all sorts of cheats like nights out at curry house, shed loads of booze, chippy teas then I had to sit there and admit to a gain with NO explanation why :) Red worked for me last week so I'm following that this week.

If I were going to a class where the consultant made me feel uncomfortable I would say something - maybe not face to face but in writing if I didn't want a confrontation.

If nothing changed, I would write again, saying that I was leaving and giving the reason.

The consultant is selling a service to you, the customer. She is not doing you a favour. You are her income. She cannot afford to lose you. So unless she is completely stupid, then she should listen to you and be sympathetic.

My consultant has a fairly robust way with her, particularly with long-standing members, including me. She knows we go along with this in the spirit in which it is intended. But a while back when I went to her and told her about some problems I had been having, she was sympathetic and very careful about what she said in front of other members. When she knew I was feeling better, she went back to teasing me again! But she is not a mind-reader, and she wouldn't have been able to adjust her manner towards me if I hadn't told her what was going on.

I have only just begun the slimming world diet (1 week). I currently don't go to class but a friend loaned me her books and I have embraced the diet 100% and I am enjoying it; fingers crossed for my first weight check! I have looked into where my local club is and due to the time it starts, I am going to struggle to get there on time (distance from work) so I am in a bit of a dilemma as I feel I should join my local group to ensure I get the support and motivation I need from the consultant and my peers, my self esteem and confidence at the moment are at rock bottom, i don't think I have ever felt this low about myself as I do at this moment - the thought of the consultant informing the whole group of any weight gain that may have occurred is just terrible and not what I thought "Image therapy" was all about. Have I got this all wrong?

I have only just begun the slimming world diet (1 week). I currently don't go to class but a friend loaned me her books and I have embraced the diet 100% and I am enjoying it; fingers crossed for my first weight check! I have looked into where my local club is and due to the time it starts, I am going to struggle to get there on time (distance from work) so I am in a bit of a dilemma as I feel I should join my local group to ensure I get the support and motivation I need from the consultant and my peers, my self esteem and confidence at the moment are at rock bottom, i don't think I have ever felt this low about myself as I do at this moment - the thought of the consultant informing the whole group of any weight gain that may have occurred is just terrible and not what I thought "Image therapy" was all about. Have I got this all wrong?

If you go to a group, your consultant won't do anything that makes you unhappy.

I used to be in a group where one member did not want to know how much she weighed, nor did she want to know when she reached Club 10 (because a bit of simple arithmetic would have told her what her starting weight was). Also, she did not want her name read out, or anything said about her. The consultant was quite happy to go along with this for as long as the member wanted to - in fact after a couple of months she was much more confident and was happy to participate normally.

The point is, she explained to the consultant right from the start how she was feeling, and her fears and worries. The consultant wants to have more members, and to keep those members, and will do what she can to make life easier for you - IF you talk to her!

Back