Implanon implant

babygee

Hi ladies (sorry gents this won't concern you :) )

Been on slimming world for several weeks now and am enjoying a steady weight loss.

Have just had the contraceptive implant fitted and have been reading about weight gains due to this being one of the side effects and I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences of this or have any other side effects?

Thanks

S x

I have been on the implant for over 3 years now (had it refitted in the summer) and although i did gain weight over the time, it was totally down to my bad food and in the last 11 months I have lost 6 stone and would say that SW can definately reverse or counteract the effect!!

I am interested to see if it makes a difference for you! I would then prob have mine taken out to see if i could loose this last stone LOL x

Lol, I'll keep you posted....I spose what I'm questioning is does it increase ur weight or does it increase ur appetite. I can control my cravings so was hoping it was the latter! .... I've been on mircrogynon since I was 17 and it says that can have weight gain side effects but can't honestly say I Noticed a difference (was 15 yrs ago tho lol)

Did u suffer any of the other troubles ?

Thanks for sharing ur experience xx

No TBH i didn't suffer at all...I was unfortunate tho to have a trainee nurse take my old one out and put my new one in...She could not get the old one out, think went for the wrong place initially then had to struggle, then someone helped her...it was messy, painful, needed stitching and v bruised - and of course being summer meant everyone asked what i'd done to myself.
Being 27 and married 2 years meant everyone assumed we were trying for a baby!
I think when this one runs out I will not be getting another one in its place for some time.
I can't say i remember it upping my appitite at all. I think if u have already been on some form of contreceptive it won't make a difference. I was 16 when i first went on the Pill and expected a weight gain so think I ate on purpose! LOL xx

Crickey sounds like u had a nightmare taking it out ! I only went for a consultation tonight and they ended up doing it there and then, it's aching a bit now and I have an annoying bandage on but fingers crossed it will make life easier in the long run!

Did u have any probs with periods? X

I don't have any periods!
Mine were always very irregular, the pill stabelised them, then the injection stopped them and i have not had anything since! That was 7 years ago!! :-D

I still have a TOTM according to my WIs, there is a week roughly every 4 where i really struggle to loose weight and there is no reason why. I am hoping that as this is just about regular it means that when I have this one taken out my periods will be regular now! No idea if that is how it works! LOL xx

Wow no periods !

I guess I'll have to wait and see,, thanks sharing with me :) really appreciate it, no doubt I'll be back on should I have any trouble xxx

I've had the implant since it was first introduced which is about 19 years. I can't say I noticed a weight gain, and on a plus side I don't have regular periods, just a bit of spotting every six months or so. I did have a heavy bleed in the summer but I think thats down to my age:rolleyes:

It's an amazing contraceptive & I intend to keep having it replaced until I no longer need contraception:D, by that I mean my age & nothing else:rolleyes:

Hormones like the ones in the implant/pill can make you more hungry- it's what you choose to eat that makes you put the weight on!
Also with periods, everyone is different and theres no way of knowing if you'll have regular/irregular/no periods until you try it for yourself

I'm also on my second. To copy what Cai said- I put weight on the first time but I'm sure that was down to the countless KFC's I ate. I've lost weight since having my second fitted.

My BFF had one fitted in March and has subsequently lost 3 stone. I have to agree with chocworm, the implant won't force feed you crap so it's totally up to you if you put weight on!!

I have always had irregular periods, often went for months without one, but I now have one every other month. I wouldn't call it a proper one, it's more like spotting. Really light and inoffensive! On the months when I don't have one I definitely have a hormonal week when I feel like I should be having one, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I love mine and was definitely happy enough to get a second one fitted (and didn't have the complications that Cai had!)

the implanon should not make you gain weight as it is a low dose of hormone being released at a steady rate over several years, where as the injection is a high dose of hormone being done every 3 months, and its the flucations that make you gain weight.

i have had the implanon for 18 months and at 1st my periods went haywire, but then i went on the pill again for a few months, whilst still having the implant and they have settled down now. i still have a period every month, but it is much lighter and shorter than what i had before.

As other have said - if anything it might increase your appetite, but it doesn't make you put on weight / make it more difficult to lose weight other than you possibly being more hungry and that might not even happen :)

Irregular bleeding is common but certainly doesn't happen to everyone, and if it does happen at first it will likely settle down after a few months.

Also a really effective form of contraception!

X

That makes me feel much better, thanks ladies...I'm a bit bruised and tender this morning but I'm sure it will pass ! :)

I was more worried of mucking up my new year weight loss as I am really motivated at the mo :) xx

babygee said:
That makes me feel much better, thanks ladies...I'm a bit bruised and tender this morning but I'm sure it will pass ! :)

I was more worried of mucking up my new year weight loss as I am really motivated at the mo :) xx

It always come in handy at parties when I tell the kids my dad had me chipped so he knew where I was as a teenager! Certainly keeps them in check.

Nothing compared to getting it removed - I cried my eyes out, so painful! :cry: I'm already dreading 2 and a half years time when it has to be removed again and another new one fitted, eek.

Apart from that the implant is amazing. I've had it for around about 3 and a half years now and never once had a single period - heaven!! :)

Tell you what this has defo out me off ever having the implant!! I had heard it was horrific to get out and also that you can sometimes see it in people's arms xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Tell you what this has defo out me off ever having the implant!! I had heard it was horrific to get out and also that you can sometimes see it in people's arms xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yup, the removal really is horrific. Even now thinking about it I'm getting nervous. Mine won't need to be removed now for another 2 and a bit year, but juist remembering what it was like the first time is enough to set me off :(

You can't really see them in peoples arms - you can see a small red dot usually, where the incision has been made. It is worse that you can feel it under the skin - I am so cockly and it makes my skin crawl even thinking about it, borkk!!

This is coming from the girl with 5 tattoos and 14 piercings..but that's different!

I had no problems with mine coming out, ten minutes it took and felt like a scratch....i've got a lot of tattoos too, it was nowhere near as bad!

I wouldn't let that put you off! I think it depends who does it x

I had no problems with mine coming out, ten minutes it took and felt like a scratch....i've got a lot of tattoos too, it was nowhere near as bad!

I wouldn't let that put you off! I think it depends who does it x

Gosh, I found it much much worse than most of my tattoos! You must be very brave.

Not trying to scare anyone, just telling my experience. Everyone is different and has different pain thresholds, so I'm sure you'll be fine :) x

Getting it out can be hard depending on how well it was inserted, and how much you mess with it (DONT mess with it!!!)
The majority come out easily though :)

Back