IMPORTANT! Please read if on a vlcd

wannabeminime

Gold Member
I read this on the cambridge site, but thought it was important enough to post here. It's about a girl who nearly slipped into a water induced coma;

Cambridge Dieters

Can you copy and paste it - i'm not a member of their forum.

THanks

Oops! Sorry! Yer tiz;

I have been doing Cambridge for 4 weeks and have done really well and was enjoying it. Last Tuesday I was taken in to hospital after feeling very unwell and was discharged yesterday after being in the early stages of a coma. I was drinking too much water and my potassium and sodium levels in me had dropped very very low which put my health at risk. During the last four days they have managed to regulate my mineral levels and I am feeling much better.
I have been advised 4-8 litres of water a day and I was taking about 5-6, the doctor told me this is too much water as the kidneys have to over function and it dilutes vital minerals. The website gives different advice which is alot safer like adding a meal after week 4, I was going to add on week 8!
I am gutted to have to come off Cambridge but the doctors have said it is just not right for me personally, but all I say is please be careful listening to the other advice if it is so drastically different from what the website says.
Good luck everyone!

Thanks Bex

8 litres!!!

It's strange isn't it. 5-6L doesn't seem excessive. Must admit, too much water left me feeling dreadful, so I stuck to about 3.

Can't understand why she is abandoning CD though when she could just drink the recommended amount of 2-3L.:confused:

I do think there is some confusion about the amount of water you need to drink on the Cambridge diet. Another CDer told be 4+ litres a day, but my CDC (and the website) said 2 ltrs per day (plus a bit if you have tetra packs). I think the 4 refers to pints, not litres, and people get confused between the two.

Apparently this poster wasnt confused about pints and litres. I just wanted to highlight the danger of drinking too much water.

Bex, sorry to hear you were unwell and hope that you are now on the mend.
I agree with you that some dieters drink far too much water. The diet is what makes you loose weight, the water is to replace the water that you are missing from food. There is no way you need more than 4 liters a day. It can be very dangerous, as dangerous as not drinking enough. If people feel that their weight is not coming off quickly enough then they should just remember how much they would lose on a conventional diet and keep that in mind.
Also I think that people dont equate the amount of water they need to their stature. This doesnt mean weight but frame. The organs need enough water to function but just because you weigh more doesnt mean that you need loads more water.
Just some thoughts on the issue!
Ceri

Oops, sorry Bex! Do tend to skip through posts too quickly. Still, very interesting.
Couldn't tell you about the difference between ll and cd, sorry.
Ceri

LL minimum water intake is 4 litres. CD is 2 litres, but you have to drink extra with tetras and bars so it almost works out the same anyway.

On LL I drank 6 litres every day. It was easy after a while and I noticed no difference other than weight loss was faster the more water I drank!

Most of the people in my group drank the same amount of water, am I being cynical by thinking that the original post is perhaps a little scaremongering?

If thats how it comes across, then i am sorry. I just thought i was scary!

I think i get sodium depletion when on ss as i get cramps alot in my legs. May start adding a bit of salt to my soups.

I think i get sodium depletion when on ss as i get cramps alot in my legs. May start adding a bit of salt to my soups.

Sorry, I didn't mean your post - I meant the other post you were refering to! It's just that as long as I've been posting and reading there is always a few posts along the way that slate VLCDs for the fun of it. It's amazing how many trolls are out there and I guess like many of us on here I'm very protective of VLCDs because LL was my life saver. People don't understand the concept and by saying something negative it always gets a reaction! I just wanted to say that as far as I'm aware that we couldn't do VLCDs or be advised to drink the water unless it was safe to do so!

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Well my experience of the water issue is as follows

I have RA and because of the medication I am on I have to have weekly blood tests, these include test for liver and kidney function (the medication I am on can damage both) After approx 1 month on SS the nurse who checks my blood tests each week asked me what I was doing that was different as my kidney function was vastly improved !!! When I told her the diet I was on and the water I drank a day (approx 4 ltrs) she told my consultant and he said everyone should drink that amount of water to flush the kidneys out and promote good health

Thank god for VLCD thats what I say

Hi Bex :D

That's what I do if I start getting any leg cramps as well. Just a dash of salt on top of my soup and it seems to sort it out:) Have to say cramps haven't been a prob so far and I'm on day 7 of SS restart with CD so here's hoping.

As far as water goes, I think we are all different definitely and it can take a while to build up your water intake to a level that gives you a good weight loss, but that you feel well at.

For me, I sit at about 5 litres a day, not including water with packs or teas and coffees. That's just me though and it does take me about a week to build that up gradually and for the loo trips to slow down!!!:eek:

Lacey :)

I've read articles where people have DIED from drinking too much water but not when they've been on a VCLD iykwim. Too little water isn't good for you and too much isn't good for you either...The person I heard die of it, died because she was in a competition for a Nintendo Wii and she had to see how long she could go before using the loo. They said she drank about 7 litres of water....I drink between 3 and 4 litres of water a day...any more and I have the runs...

Bex, sorry to hear you were unwell and hope that you are now on the mend.
I agree with you that some dieters drink far too much water. The diet is what makes you loose weight, the water is to replace the water that you are missing from food. There is no way you need more than 4 liters a day. It can be very dangerous, as dangerous as not drinking enough. If people feel that their weight is not coming off quickly enough then they should just remember how much they would lose on a conventional diet and keep that in mind.
Also I think that people dont equate the amount of water they need to their stature. This doesnt mean weight but frame. The organs need enough water to function but just because you weigh more doesnt mean that you need loads more water.
Just some thoughts on the issue!
Ceri

When you are drinking all that water in addition to herbal tea, black coffee, etc, you can easily end up drinking too much fluid.

But people often quote 'the more you drink, the more you shrink', because that's what they were told. I think that is possibly dangerous advice. I could not put away 5-6 litres plus all the extra drinks, so for me this is not an issue. But I know those who can, and do, down this much water, etc.

When you are drinking all that water in addition to herbal tea, black coffee, etc, you can easily end up drinking too much fluid.

But people often quote 'the more you drink, the more you shrink', because that's what they were told. I think that is possibly dangerous advice. I could not put away 5-6 litres plus all the extra drinks, so for me this is not an issue. But I know those who can, and do, down this much water, etc.

From personal experience I was drinking 5 litres plus other drinks - no problems.

I didn't just do "the more you drink" because someone told me to, I did it because I found that on the weeks I drank more I lost more.

Back