In A Quandry - Join SW or WW ??

wannadrop3st

Hey Guys,
I am really struggleing with this decision, previously i have been unable to lose weight the 'normal' way... i just cant stick to a diet :sigh:
I have been over weight for all of my life, then in Oct 2008, i went on cambrige Diet, and lost 3 stone, but after 2 years the weight has reappeared and i am heavier than i was :cry:
I now know (its took 40 years!!) that i need to change my eating habits for life, this is where i am struggleing about which club to join, loads of people say SW as the portions can be as big or small as you like, no counting etc etc, this is a good thing, but also my worry, at some point I would have to eat smaller portions wouldnt i ??
Whereas WW shows you portion control, so I just dont know, what do you guys think, why did you join SW, how are your losses ??

Sorry for the long post :rolleyes:

def sw.as long as you follow the plan and have your superfree and count your syns you can eat what you want.i don't feel like i am on a diet at all.plus the receipes are really nice.

sw is brill, you can still eat less, learn about healthy eating and easy to maintain once you get to target.

As long as you follow the plan, SW works and you can eat till you're full.

I'd say it depends more on what you want to eat. On weight watchers I think you can use your points on what you want as long as you don't go over your points, which could be easier if you eat out a lot or have ready meals etc. Slimming world you can have unlimited 'healthy food', including things like potatoes, but you cannot just eat junk food, as you only have 300calories worth of syns. So it's great for large homemade portions, but you have to be more careful when eating out

I went on SW because I'd tried pretty much everything else and been unable to stick with it - weightwatchers included. I think I lasted a week on the new WW propoints plan! My friend joined SW and raved about how much she could eat, so I thought I might as well try it.

If you don't mind cooking, I think SW is such a brilliant plan - it's so 'normal' and I can eat massive portions and still lose weight. I do eat a bit less than I did when I started, but not really intentionally, lol - I reckon my stomach has shrunk a bit. I can still match my boyfriend for eating power though, haha!

I also find SW really helpful for those moments when you just want to stuff your face :rolleyes: On SW you can have a massive plate of home-made oven chips, or a really hearty portion of low-fat homecooked lasagna, and still be on plan. It really helps me stay on track.

I do think that WW has its good points though - if you do eat out a lot, or like to eat ready meals/jars of sauces etc., it's a more liveable plan than Slimming World.

I choose SW as I like that there's not really any counting or weighing and reading up and both SW and WW before starting I found SW easier to get my head round, if that makes sense. I've been doing SW for 8 weeks now and lost 20lbs so far and find it so easy, most of the meals me and OH eat are the same as what we used to eat just with small tweaks - ie frylight instead of oil and cutting visible fat off meat x

I would choose sw too. So easy and flexible. I've lost 19lbs too so it works for me and the no weighing measuring and counting is great too. We are all biased on here as we love sw but you could post the same question on the ww forum so you can compare the responses from both which might help u decide

i have done weight watchers and slimming world both work really well when you stick to the plans but i am currently doing slimming world and its more of a healthy eating plan for life not a diet i eat so much and you learn to make healthy choices i used to find on weight watchers that i would use all my points on rubbish food and end up hungry i now dont have that problem there is always something you can eat and it works so well fitting in with family holidays and dinners out you just make good choices its brill i love slimming world

Having done both and been successful on both (though not to target) I find that I am healthier and my diet is more balanced on SW than WW, and that it is much better for me personally. Goo luck with whatever you choose x

Edited to add: I also find SW much much less pushy about buying products etc, whereas WW its all about the brand (only my humble opinion though)

also with weight watchers, they tell you what your target weight is. whereas with Slimming World, it's up to you. So if your happy at a certain weight, you can stay there if you want, but ww wont allow that, you have to get to the goal weight they set.

Thanks guys :)
After spending all afternoon on here, reading all the threads, I have decided to start SW.
Mainly as i have done WW before and like someone said, you can spend all your points on junk if you want, whereas with SW you are restricted, and i need boundrys.
I also need the cushion that IF i am still hungry (be it head hunger or real stomach hunger) there is always something i can eat.
I also cook from scratch and after reading the food diarys (especially the photo food diary, OMG !! I am looking forward to trying different things ;))
Thankyou all, I really apprecaite your input :D

I agree with everyone else :) I've done both plans and with WW I'd ate my points by lunchtime and was always starving. With SW it teaches you to eat the right foods :)

the other thing i would say about ww is once you get down to your weight you have very little points to use so found i was eating salad for most meals with sw thats not a problem

Have you also posted this on the weight watchers board? Otherwise you might be getting a rather biased opinion! I have never done WW so can't comment on it. But I do love SW, I love the variety of food I can eat, and that fact that for the most part it fits into my life. You do need to learn portion control on SW though, otherwise it will be difficult to loose weight as you go along.

Sw all the way for me. I hate ready meals, yuck, gross too small , not tasty enough! On the other hand I love home cooked food. And if you do too, choose sw! The variety of food is endless, you'll never be stuck on choices. You'll never go hungry. What's more the rest of the family can all eat the same, so it feels less like a diet! Sprinkle low fat cheese on your spag Bol and full fat on theirs! I could big up sw all day long. I'm also sure the ww peeps will have their input but it's your choice. I hope this helps xx

Laurie said:
Sw all the way for me. I hate ready meals, yuck, gross too small , not tasty enough! On the other hand I love home cooked food. And if you do too, choose sw! The variety of food is endless, you'll never be stuck on choices. You'll never go hungry. What's more the rest of the family can all eat the same, so it feels less like a diet! Sprinkle low fat cheese on your spag Bol and full fat on theirs! I could big up sw all day long. I'm also sure the ww peeps will have their input but it's your choice. I hope this helps xx

Grrrrr WW is NOT all about ready meals. wW like SW promote healthy eating and cooking from scratch. People using ready meals on WW is like people on SW using pasta n sauce or super noodles. There's no reason that the entire family can't eat the same if someone is on WW. I hate this preconceived misconception that WW is all about eating convenience food etc ITS NOT

Have you also posted this on the weight watchers board? Otherwise you might be getting a rather biased opinion! I have never done WW so can't comment on it. But I do love SW, I love the variety of food I can eat, and that fact that for the most part it fits into my life. You do need to learn portion control on SW though, otherwise it will be difficult to loose weight as you go along.

I just wanna say thatI disagree with the red bit in your post. I have zero portion control I eat massive portions and still managed target and am staying there. So while it MAY be difficult later it may not be.

Starlight said:
Grrrrr WW is NOT all about ready meals. wW like SW promote healthy eating and cooking from scratch. People using ready meals on WW is like people on SW using pasta n sauce or super noodles. There's no reason that the entire family can't eat the same if someone is on WW. I hate this preconceived misconception that WW is all about eating convenience food etc ITS NOT

I don't think anyone's saying that. I just mean that if you do like readymeals and eating out a lot, you'll probably find it easier to fit into WW. If you like large portions and dont mind cooking, you'll probably fit well into SW. Of course you'll get people abusing the free/low syn/low point rubbish on any plan

Back