In A Quandry - Join SW or WW ??

Shrimpy said:
I just wanna say thatI disagree with the red bit in your post. I have zero portion control I eat massive portions and still managed target and am staying there. So while it MAY be difficult later it may not be.

Whats your secret Shrimpy? I have already had to stsrt doing the whole portion control thing & i'm still 2.5 st from target!

WW didn't work for me despite sticking to it 100%. For someone who used to be ossessed with counting calories the last thing I wanted to do was count points for everything I eat. Some in my family have done WW & its worked wonders for them.

Personally I prefer SW, I'm never hungry, there's so much choice to unlimited food & its exactly that - unlimited, no counting required (other than HEX's & syns). I feel it fits in better with any lifestyle so if I go out somewhere I know there's likley to be a meal I can adjust & still enjoy like everyone else. At first I felt I was eating too much so I adjusted my portions, despite eating unlimited food you can still be in control of how much you eat.

My losses are very slow, but I know that way the weight will stay off!

Have you also posted this on the weight watchers board? Otherwise you might be getting a rather biased opinion! I have never done WW so can't comment on it. But I do love SW, I love the variety of food I can eat, and that fact that for the most part it fits into my life. You do need to learn portion control on SW though, otherwise it will be difficult to loose weight as you go along.

I just wanna say thatI disagree with the red bit in your post. I have zero portion control I eat massive portions and still managed target and am staying there. So while it MAY be difficult later it may not be.

Got to agree with Shrimpy here. IMO SW teaches you to eat well. In a way your portions are automatically "controlled" for you within the plan, but only in terms of calories, by setting boundaries on the *types* of food you eat - but there is no volume restriction on portions. I too eat HUGE meals so in those terms my portions are not controlled - but at the same time they are automatically controlled in terms of what those portions consist of.

eg I wouldn't call this a small portion: :D

6253559746_581a3c9f42_o.jpg

I've recently started Slimming World after doing WW on and off for years.
I was originally put off SW because of the extra cooking, but instead it has been a revolution in healthy eating for me - gone are the pre-packed convenience foods and in are healthy, home cooked meals, which are actually far tastier and interesting. My husband is also loving all the new meal ideas.
I still struggle a bit for lunches when I'm at work, as we don't have a microwave here, but I've been experimenting with different salads etc, and it's all good.
This is the first "diet" I have tried where I actually feel that it may well change my bad eating habits for life.
I am loving it so far!

Rattybabe said:
I've recently started Slimming World after doing WW on and off for years.
I was originally put off SW because of the extra cooking, but instead it has been a revolution in healthy eating for me - gone are the pre-packed convenience foods and in are healthy, home cooked meals, which are actually far tastier and interesting. My husband is also loving all the new meal ideas.
I still struggle a bit for lunches when I'm at work, as we don't have a microwave here, but I've been experimenting with different salads etc, and it's all good.
This is the first "diet" I have tried where I actually feel that it may well change my bad eating habits for life.
I am loving it so far!

Food flask!!!!! I saw 2 mini ones in John Lewis, a retro thermos that keeps hot for 7 hours and a slightly bigger Stanley flask that keeps hot for work. I've got a stew with rice in mine today. Yummy

Now that I'm used to SW I think it's better, but at the start it was difficult to know if something was free or HEX or syns. With WW you just look up the food and go.

That being said, I found WW very difficult at the bottom level of the points chart.

I have followed both SW and WW in the past. However i have lost more weight with WW than SW.

But it is a matter of choice and I'd choose the diet where the class is more convenient for you.

Irene xx

I have tried both plans, and although I lost over 2 stone on WW (years ago) I found it really hard work. I just didn't like having to count everything, so for me SW works much better, I can have free food nibbles during the day without worrying about it, and I know I can treat myself to a drink or two at weekends! :) That's just me though, everyone is different and I am sure you will find whichever plan works best for you. Good luck! xx

Whats your secret Shrimpy? I have already had to stsrt doing the whole portion control thing & i'm still 2.5 st from target!

No idea, guess it's the sheer volume of superfree I eat. I do eat oodles of veg and fruit. I think it's also about mixing it up, I try different veggies, meats and things regularly and do a mix of days (usually accidentally though). I often eat mahoosive portions of whatever is for tea, seconds and follow it up with pudding (loads of fruit and yogurt).

Food flask!!!!! I saw 2 mini ones in John Lewis, a retro thermos that keeps hot for 7 hours and a slightly bigger Stanley flask that keeps hot for work. I've got a stew with rice in mine today. Yummy

I'm a bit dubious about putting rice in these, as I'd read it's bad to keep rice warm?

So would it be safe to cook rice up the night before, put it in the fridge overnight, and then re-heat in the microwave in the morning? I don't have time to cook up rice from fresh in the morning.

Yes that is fine as long as you put it in the fridge as soon as it has cooled down enough. Personally I don't put rice in a food flask though - I think they are better for things that come with a sauce or gravy as liquids seem to keep hot for longer. I haven't found one that keeps pasta and rice hot yet and would usually reheat this in a microwave when ready to eat rather than put it in a flask.

Yup, since I've been at college I've been just reheating a box of leftovers from the freezer in the morning while Im having me coffee then bung it in the flask and go. I take two pack ups for the day as I dont get back til between 10pm and midnight. One box for lunch which is something like hummus & veggies, or a stuffed cheese wrap and veggies; the other one for dinner is the reheated box from the freezer of curry or stew or soup or something.

When I cook tea anything that's meant to serve 4 inevitably only serves 3 by our portion sizes :D So the third serving goes in a box in the freezer for when its convenience-food-for-one.

Back