Donnie46

Slow but sure....
ARMISTICE DAY

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

In 1918, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the guns fell silent and World War I ended.

Armistice Day has been a tradition in Britain since King George V issued a proclamation in 1919 that "all locomotion should cease, so that, in perfect stillness, the thoughts of everyone may be concentrated on reverent remembrance of the glorious dead".

At 11am today, I will join the rest of the country in a two-minute silence to remember those who gave their lives in the two world wars and in more than 70 conflicts since.

May God Bless and keep all our soldiers fighting today in his care.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this Donnie. It's very close to my heart and people in my office couldn't be bothered to observe the silence today. It really annoyed me.
Someones phone even rang so somewhere else people couldn't be bothered.
Very sad state of affairs.

i was driving back from shopping with my friend when we realised it was 11.05 we both felt bad that we had missed it,but did have our own little silence when we realised

Living and working in the Military environment means we never forget to spare 2 minutes for those who have sadly departed during the wars. Thank you to all those who spared 2 minutes to remember the fallen. My thoughts are always with those who have gone too soon as I lost a very good friend 5 years ago and soon enough I'll be saying bye to my hubby again when he goes off on tour.

It's horrible at the moment with Afghan esp so soon after Iraq, my thoughts are with all those who knows someone currently serving out there and for those who have recently lost their lives.

We will remember them xxxxx

I live in Swansea, which was the only place outside London where the British Legion were holding an official special event today. There were lots of people there and it was very moving xx

I went to town today, and I must admit to being quite angry at the fact that I only saw 2 other people wearing poppies. We must all remember that soldiers past and present gave their todays so that we can have our tomorrows.
God bless them all.

I'm ex forces and I lost a very dear friend a few years back in Iraq and I remember every single day but it is so much more poignant on Remembrance Sunday and also on the 11th of the 11th.
I was in Sainsbury's a few years back on the 11th and people nattered all the way through, even though there had been an announcement in the store.
I know it's each to their own, but it doesn't hurt does it?

My son is 14 and recently joined Army Cadets. He is proud that he was able to sell poppies to raise funds and attended a service on Remembrance Sunday. One of his mates told him he had "wasted" his weekend doing that...But apparently got quite a lecture in return. :D

I'm an old hippie and former CND activist but I think we should support our Service men and women, whether or not we agree with the missions they are sent on.

We arrived at a distant Asda today near Hull, and the 2 minute silence was observed perfectly! I think feelings are running very high at the moment re Afghanistan, and this years poppy day has been a way for the British Public to get behind our Forces. I have never seen such a response to Poppy Day. My heart is with the families of all our brave boys and girls who are being sacrificed for a cause I cannot support.

But you are supporting it Judi by wearing your poppy and taking part in the silence. It's all they ask for. xx

Just thinking of them is all they ask. All I ask is that the government start to listen to the Armed forces, their families and the public and withdraw our troops ASAP

Of course I am supporting them Jaylou! But I feel (my own thoughts here) that the young combatants are being slaughtered much like in the first world war, only this time it isn't the fault of the Forces, but the politicians. However this isn't the place to discuss it. I want them home.

Without wanting to get too political, is this what the Armed Forces people want though? Would those soldiers not have all died in vain if we pull out now? Just my opinion and probably won't be very popular, so sorry if I offend anyone.

Back