inch by inch

Afternoon lovely :) , I hope your well. I was wondering if you could help me, as I wanted some advice on Atkins. I will have to come off vlcd for 2 weeks due to my up coming operation. I don't want to gain loads of weight in that time, as I reintroduce food to my body. I know you've done Atkins before and I'm trying to come up with a meal plan that will be low carb in those 2 weeks so I don't gain loads of weight. I've seen these Atkin protein bars that come in a 5pk in Asda, have you tried them before and are they any good for weightloss ? I'm thinking of having x1 mainmeal and then an Atkins shake and a bar each day. Have you tried their shake also ? And I'm taking it, all their products are low carb ?

I really appreciate all your help :) .

Kay xx

Okay take this as a former hardxcore atkinser re the Atkins bars: nooooooooooooooooo!!

Tbh if you were keeping as low cal as it looks like you want to one probably wouldn't hurt but - Atkins bars are made by the company that bought the Atkins name after he died, and if you read his books he would never recommend them. He recommends only one form of sweetener, stevia, and to stay away from sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols (sweeteners that end in 'ol') are not absorbed by the body in the same way as sugar so they're permitted to be sold as low carb.

However they are 1) used by the body as fuel just like sugar so won't bring you out of ketosis but will slow your weight loss 2) in some cases they react in your body just like sugar and cause blood sugar spikes (the worst sugar alcohol, maltitol, has a GI as high as orange juice) and 3) many people find they cause nasty gastric distress.

Atkins bars contain the worst sugar alcohol: maltitol, which is a byproduct of corn syrup. High fructose corn syrup is banned in this country as dangerous and I have a feeling eventually maltitol will be too.

So there's my very long answer to don't use the bars!!!

The shakes however are pretty ok unless they've changed the recipe recently. I personally would happily have the shakes.

Ftr I don't totally go along with Atkins no sweetener policy, sucrose works fine for me, but sweeteners are very much a your mileage may vary thing.

Remember if you're transitioning onto Atkins you are going to need to raise your calorie and fat intake gradually. Low fat & low carb isn't a great idea. Fat is what you burn for fuel when in ketosis.

If you're currently having 600 calories a day, to begin with I'd simply add a 200 cal protein meal for a couple of days. Eg. Chicken breast or eggs.

Then add a 400 cal meal eg steak and veggies with some butter, for a couple of days. This isn't much different to the food week on most
Vlcds.

Then keep the 400 cal meal and replace 300 (approx) cals of your meal replacements with a protein meal.

Then you could switch one meal to Atkins shakes if you want. Remember that by the time you do this you'll need to be adding fat to your meals - not loads and loads, but cooking using butter etc.

Check with your doctor what calorie level they'll want you eating at pre: surgery but I'd imagine it will be at least 1200 cal, maybe more. The most important thing is obviously to be strong for your surgery.

Remember if you're an in-patient after surgery low carb is incredibly hard to do in hospital (I've been there) and you're likely to have a little upward bounce - 99.9 percent of this will be water weight and will come right off after so try not to let it worry you.

Uhh what else. If you're desperate to replace a meal with a bar, low carbers I know recommend quest bars, which use non-sugar alcohol sweeteners. You can get them on Amazon. I'd recommend real food, though.

Meal wise, sticking to smallish meals of meat and veggies is a good plan - green veggies like broccoli, spinach, cabbage etc are best. Cauliflower is also great. Adding some cheese is fine though I'd rec staying under 30g at first and be careful with nuts as they can add up fast but a few almonds are a good snack.

I hope that helps! I'll respond to everyone else when I have a few more minutes x

Oh - having a read of the Atkins new diet revolution book (the one by Robert Atkins not the new versions) or for a more fun, less sciencey version of the same plan - pig to twig by India knight is probably a good idea too!

Aww thank you so much hun your a gem :) , you've gone into so much detail, and have explained things so nicely. I agree about the sugars being bad for you, I only use stevia myself. Ok, decision made, I'm going to stay away from the Atkins stuff and probably do calorie counting with loads of green veg, fruit and protein thrown in, I will have some carbs, but try and keep them low. I don't want to go crazy on my salt and sugar intake, so I won't be eating loads of fruit either.

Thanks once again your a star ! :D

Kay xx

If you stick to the SW speed/protein plan that's a good mix of lowish carb low cal I think. Eating high protein before surgery is always good idea, it helps recovery.

I met my lovely boyfriend on line (match.com) and we've been together almost 8 years.
Be brave and out an honest picture of yourself online - then they will know what you look like and I'm sure the men who are worth it will get in touch. Most importantly, it's about finding someone you click with, I remember looking forward to emails from him, because we have the same sense of humour and he just used to write little things that made me laugh every day...

Whey hey on the quiet loss :)

I tried match but didn't get much response (from people I liked anyway). OK Cupid I got quite a lot of responses on but even when I talked to someone I liked I was too scared to meet them. A lot of the people I really got on with we then found out we had a huge ethical or political clash somewhere so that wouldn't work out. And the people I actually fancied I always felt were too good looking for me and wouldn't want to be seen with me.

I do put up honest full length photos but I tend to look better in photos than real life. I carry most of my weight in my stomach (when I got down to 10 stone something the rest of me was really thin but I have at least a stone of excess skin I carry round my middle. I have a thin face, no double chin and a long neck so people who just see photos are always telling me I don't look very big and I know they'd get a huge shock in person as my middle (and behind!) are huge.

I also have some health problems, thin hair due to previous illnesses so I wear hair weaves (undetectable as not being my own hair but still) and I'm generally a lot saggier than I should be for my age. I hate my body and I don't know how to get over it or how to believe anyone else could ever want me. Physically my body looks worse at my lowest weight than at its highest I mean - there are lots of people who fancy bigger women so they know what they're getting but if someone thinks I'm a normal average size person they won't expect how my body actually is, aka gross.

This is why I'd really like to click with someone in real life as a friend first but can't seem to meet anyone who isn't married!

It's such a shame how so many of us have held ourselves back due to the weight. I know it's ridiculous and I wish I could get past it. I have gorgeous friends who are bigger than me and who are in happy relationships with lovely guys. But they have confidence and I don't.

Ah well maybe something will happen, I'd love this to be my year.

It's nice to hear the positive experiences of everyone who has met their partner online though. I'll keep trying!

Ok so, food, as if I haven't waffled on enough in here today.

Yesterday was Chinese. Usually I get duck but like an idiot I decided to try sweet and sour prawns - they turned up battered, were pretty gross in general but I ate some like a moron and oh. My. God. The stomach ache afterwards lasted for hours. One day I will officially accept that too much gluten hurts me and stop occasionally trying it.

The good news is my stomach has definitely shrunk and I didn't eat that much. And it wasn't worth it at all. If we have Chinese again I shall get duck and have it with salad and stay roughly within my plan.

Today was roast pork and veggies, not at all bad, just a couple of sneaky potatoes.

And I think I've talked my friend into a less calorific restaurant tomorrow, we will see.

Oh, pink puffin re: my anaemia. It's a chronic condition for me and my body helpfully entirely rejects iron pills (both ferrous fumerate and sulphate make me vomit). So I take spatone iron enriched water as a minor way of not dropping my Levels too quickly. I get B12 injections at the GP every couple of months and go into hospital every few months to be hooked up to a drip with additrace and ferritin. Iron infusions make me feel sick for about a week after but they're the only thing that works.

Hello hun :) , I love reading your diary . Your so open and honest about everything, and you give a great insight into `real life ' and what's it like when we have to make daily choices about food. I think when we do diets, we lose sight of the fact that the real work starts once we get to target, its a life long thing. Finding the balance and not depriving ourselves and yet not losing control is key and I think your managing this really well. Reading your diary also gives me an idea of how its going to be when I'm back on food for 2 weeks . In a way it will give me an idea of what it will be like on maintenance. I think CC will really help, mixed with some SW like you suggested.

I hope your having a lovely week, looking forward to reading more of your posts :D .

Kay xx

Haha ty Kay I'll try and be more concise in future though as I'm sure very few people managed to get through all that.

Last night was amaaazing, pride prejudice and zombies surprised me by being a genuinely fantastic, hilarious film and Douglas Booth is even more beautiful in person than he is on screen, which should be a physical impossibility.

Eating was probably pretty calorific, not helped by free popcorn in our goodie bags! Ah well back on the cc wagon now and back in my proper routine from tomorrow.

Sounds v glam! Glad you had a good time. How do you get in the guest list for those things? Is it to do with your work?

I met my lovely boyfriend on line (match.com) and we've been together almost 8 years.
Be brave and out an honest picture of yourself online - then they will know what you look like and I'm sure the men who are worth it will get in touch. Most importantly, it's about finding someone you click with, I remember looking forward to emails from him, because we have the same sense of humour and he just used to write little things that made me laugh every day...

Whey hey on the quiet loss :)

Hi Clair
That's the trouble Clair. I met my ex-fiance on an online dating site. We have an awful lot in common, but he was a perpetual liar for all the 8 yrs we were together, and ended up having two (the only two that I found out about) affairs! Kicked him out in 2009. Glad to hear your story though ☺☺. I'm very ill, and most guys wouldn't want to be with someone who was ill all the time.

Sounds v glam! Glad you had a good time. How do you get in the guest list for those things? Is it to do with your work?

It used to be! I used to write some reviews etc for an entertainment site. Haven't done it for a year or so now but still get some sent my way!

Hi Clair
That's the trouble Clair. I met my ex-fiance on an online dating site. We have an awful lot in common, but he was a perpetual liar for all the 8 yrs we were together, and ended up having two (the only two that I found out about) affairs! Kicked him out in 2009. Glad to hear your story though ☺☺. I'm very ill, and most guys wouldn't want to be with someone who was ill all the time.

I have the issue with being ill too, particularly just finding the energy to even leave the house, but I have to hope there's still someone for me.

Tbh I don't think someone you meet online is any more or less likely to be a liar than someone you meet in the pub. Everyone starts out as a stranger. The anxiety I have about online is taking the step to meet someone in person & worrying they won't like me 'for real' hence why ideally I'd like to meet someone in person first & become friends and start a relationship from a more secure place.

But then we're back to not being able to get out much & not knowing where to meet people.

Conundrum!

Today I've still been really tired and not able to do much, probably for the best as kept getting back to things simple.

Think I might try venison steak for my meal tomorrow. Will either be a 1300 or 1500 cal day.

Today has decided to be outstandingly stressful with work things, aaargh I'm just not good at being an organiser. Or, I'm not terrible I just find it stressy and don't enjoy it.

Anyway, things to note about going off plan for a weekend(and a bit): when you get back on plan you have to go through the peeing every 30 seconds stage all over again.

I swear my bladder must be the size of a pea.

Today I decided to swap one of my shakes for a new covent garden wild mushroom soup. It's not as nutritionally complete but the soup comes in at 40 calories and 10g of carbs less than the shake so I think I'll have it now and then when I'm feeling soupy. It is also delicious, fyi. Non meal replacement foods today include: 2 quorn frankfurters, venison and veggies (not all in the same meal, I'm not sure about venison and frankfurters!).

Anyway, 2 more hours of work left. BAH. Will catch up with everyone soon I swear, I feel like I'm juggling a million things rather badly right now.

1500 calorie day today. I'm so cold again!

Food has been fine today, all on plan. Venison was yummy, I'll probably get that again. So cold, though, sitting right by my space heater and still cold!

Tomorrow should be 1300 calories approx and will feature quorn frankfurters, courgette noodles and some rannochs smoked chicken. Once I find things I like and which fit my macros I tend to eat them fairly regularly until I'm sick of them!

Morning all~

I hate February I'm so constantly cold.

Have started my day with two big mugs of tea & a babybel light. Looking at my meal plan today on mfp looks like so much food but comes in at under 1250 cals. Hooray for lean protein.

Another hungry day - I always seem to post most on these! I have enough to eat, I think my brain would just like to snack! I've broken my meal up to have bit by bit to see me through so I won't go over my calories.

Stress probably isn't helping. I feel like I'm working 3 jobs at the moment - dealing with constant stresses and problems cropping up with one thing, trying to get work done on another, and doing my usual admin shift is putting me at about a 10 hr day today. There's just so much going on at the moment, everything keeps happening at once so I always feel like I'm trying to keep too many balls in the air.

Ah well worse things happen at sea.

I'd like to get a proper run at staying on plan but that isn't going to happen until the 22nd I don't think. I'm on plan at the moment, obviously, and will be until the 17th which is my graduation from my MA. A lot of travel and a celebratory meal. The 18th is a birthday (not mine) and I think burgers are on the menu but should be on plan for the rest of the day and if i get my burger without a bun I can be on plan for that too. The 19th is a close family funeral and will be a long and emotional day with the wake running late into the night. I won't be on plan for that, and likely won't be on plan Saturday 20th either - I certainly won't hold myself to it if I'm tired and upset.

Then I'll get a decent run at it, I think. I have a few meals out planned but think I can make them fit with my plan, so hopefully from 22nd until near easter I'll be 95 percent on plan...

I'll be very glad when I don't need to flush out water weight for a while, though. How can my body carry this much water...

Morning all. It's quiet here lately. Then again minis is much quieter in general than I remember it being years ago - unless you're doing SW! It's a shame, but I don't know anywhere busier.

Had bad insomnia last night which was a pain. Feeling quite good this morning though except someone has just started using power tools next door. God I hope they don't keep this noise up.

So tired today, unsurprisingly but frustratingly as I wanted to get more done with my day. tikka paneer (indian cheese) for tea. Not a bad day, tomorrow will be sunday lunch as per usual. I'm going to swap one of my shakes for a covent garden mushroom soup again tomorrow to keep carbs a little lower as I'll be having potato with my meal.

Back