Red Day Indian Ideas

tinks_88

I'm looking for any recipes people might have for a curry to have on a saturday night instead of take away one, im doing all original days so any suggestions would be great - thanks guys!! :)

I have a Slimming World Curry book but my I have lent it to my Mum - I'll get it back tonight and post some more recipes from it later. In the meantime:

Syn Free Chicken Curry
1 tsp turmeric
1½ tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1½ tsp chilli powder
1½ tsp curry powder
½ tsp ground ginger
3 garlic cloves - crushed
60ml lemon juice
125g pot natural yogurt
100g tomato passata
226g cubed chicken breast
1 red pepper - cubed
Pour mixture into a casserole dish and bake at approx 375 deg for 40 mins or cook on hob, add red pepper and heat over a medium heat until cooked through (approx 20 mins) - stirring frequently.
Serve with rice and salad.

Free on a green day using chicken as HE-B
On a red day – miss out the rice and double the chicken

Onion Bhajis with Raita dip
Free on Green Day (or EE)

8oz stiff mashed potato (you can use Smash)
400g tin/jar of cooked Chickpeas
2 thinly sliced onions
Salt & black pepper
Approx 2 tblspns curry powder (or to taste - we thought it also needed some chilli)
1 tspn mixed herbs
1 beaten egg

1 tsp dried coriander
Fry Light

Heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
Fry onions in fry light until soft.
- I did them raw
Drain and rinse chickpeas and mash well.
Add mashed potatoes, onions, curry powder and seasonings.
Mix together with beaten egg
Spray large baking tray with fry light
Put tablespoon sized 'balls' of mix on tray
Spray Bhajis with fry light
Cook in oven for approx 15 to 20 mins, until golden brown

Raita dip
1 small onion chopped
Cherry or tomatoes cut into chunks
Diced cucumber
100g pot Fat free natural yoghurt
1 tspn sugar free mint sauce concentrate
Pinch salt
Mix all these together to make a dip for the Bhajis

Hi again,

I have looked through the SW Curry book and there is quite a lot to choose from. I have done the complete list below, if you fancy anything in particular please let me know and I will post the recipe(s):)

Starters:
Curried parsnip soup
Veggie bhajis with chilli dip
Chana dal khichri (spiced rice with split peas)
Spicy samosas with kachumber
Grilled tiger prawns
Lamb koftas
Tandoori chicken
Spiced chicken kebabs

Green Day Main Dishes:
Gobi chana curry (cauliflower)
Vegetable & Quorn curry
Squash and spinach curry
Mushroom bhaji
Brinjal curry (aubergine)
Root vegetable biryani
Sweet potato curry
Spicy stuffed aubergines
Mixed bean and carrot sabzi
Pork biryani

Original Day Main Dishes:
Chicken Jalfrezi
Pan-fried cod and indian potatoes
Chicken tikka masala
Pork vindaloo
Speedy prawn curry
Chicken korma
Classic chicken curry
Spicy beef wrap
Lamb rogan josh
Kofta curry

Desserts:
Iced mango gateaux
Baked figs with spicy amaretto "cream"
Creamy mango sorbet
Fruit salad with warm ginger drizzle
Lemon and apricot delight
Pistachio and ginger ice

This list probably won't be any use for this "curry night" (not enough shopping time) but maybe for next time.

Good luck

Chicken Rogan Josh

Serves 4 (free on red/extra easy)

Ingredients

2 medium onions finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric
3 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Thumbnail worth of fresh ginger finally chopped
2 cloves of garlic finally chopped
4 chicken breasts chopped into chunks
Can of plum tomatoes and some pasata
Low fat natural yoghurt
Fresh coriander chopped

Method

Fry light a large sauce pan and fry onions until soft; add the ginger and garlic; continue to fry. Add all of the dry herb and spices and mix (if it looks too dry, add some water to lift from bottom of the pan)

Add chicken to pan and mix until the chicken starts to brown (again add some water if it starts sticking to the bottom of the pan). Add the tomatoes and the passata and mix. Add the yoghurt and mix.

Turn the heat down on the pan to low and put a lid on the pan and leave for 30 mins

After 30 mins stir the dish, and leave back on the heat for about 20 mins; remove the lid (to allow the sauce to reduce and thicken)

When the chicken is fully cooked, mix in the coriander (I tried the sauce without the coriander and thought it tasted mediocre, once the coriander was added, it tasted like rogan josh I get from the take away!)

I served with mushroom fried rice (fry light pan, fry sliced mushrooms, add cooked rice (drained and cold) and handful of coriander) and the onion bahjees above. Plus had 2 pappadoms (2 syns each for Morrison’s own brand)

The whole lot I think worked out about £1 per head so a lot cheaper than a take away!

hey

Could I possibly have the recipes for Chicken Tikka Massala, chicken Korma and Mushroom bhaji?

I hate to be cheeky but the bf and I are having a curry night tomorrow and they sound lush!

:)

:sign0007:Sorry I missed your Curry Night, I have only just got back on my computer after a weekend of hectic slobbing about. :4635: Anyway, the recipes are below if you still want them:

Mushroom Bhaji
Free on Green or Extra Easy

6oz/170g potatoes
1 onion
1 garlic clove
4fl oz/113ml stock made with Vecon
2tsp garam masala
8oz/227g mushrooms
3 tomatoes
Very low fat natural yogurt, fresh coriander and boiled rice to serve

1. Dice the potatoes, quarter and slice the onion, crush the garlic. Place in a pan with stock and garam masala and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 mins
  2. Slice the mushrooms, deseed and chop the tomatoes and stir them into the pan. Re-cover and simmer for a firther 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
  3. Garnish with yogurt and coriander and serve with boiled rice
Chicken Tikka Masala
Free on Red or Extra Easy

1lb 8oz/681g chicken breasts
4 tbsp tikka powder
200g pot very low-fat natural yogurt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 onion
4 garlic cloves
1 red chilli
A handful of fresh coriander
Fry Light
1 tsp ground ginger
1 level tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp artificial sweetener
5tbsp very low-fat natural fromage frais

1. Chop the chicken into bit size chunks. Mix half of the tikka powder with the yogurt. Season well, pour over the chicken and set aside.
  2. Grate the onion, crush the garlic, deseed and chop the chilli and chop the coriander. Spray a pan with Fry Light and fry the onion for 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic, chilli, ginger and remaining tikka powder and fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, sweetener and 250ml water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, add the fromage frais and simmer gently for 12-15 minutes stirring frequently.
  3. Meanwhile, place the chicken on a grill rack, spray with Fry Light and cook for 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked. Add to the sauce, divide between four bowls and sprinkle over the coriander. Serve with raita made with chopped cucumber, onion, mint leaves and very low fat natural yogurt.
Chicken Korma - Serves 4
3 Syns on Red or Extra Easy per serving

8oz/227g onions
1"/2 1/2cm piece fresh root ginger
3 garlic cloves
1/4 pint/142ml stock made with chicken Bovril
4 chicken breasts
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 cinnamon stick
5 cardamon pods
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
1oz/28g grated creamed coconut
5oz/142g very low fat natural yogurt
1/2oz/14g toasted flaked almonds
A small handful of fresh coriander
Lemon wedges to serve

1. Roughly chop the onions, ginger and garlic. Place in a food processor and blend for a few seconds to form a smooth paste. Transfer to a frying pan and add the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 5 minutes stirring often.
  2. Cut the chicken into chunks. Add to the onion mixture and cook, stirring often, for a further 5 minutes or until the chicken is coloured all over. Stir in the spices, seasoning and lemon juice. Add the coconut and cook gently stirring occasionally for 10 minutes
  3. Gradually add the yogurt, a spoonful at a time, stirring continuously. Cook for a further minute until thick. Pour in 1/4 pint/142ml water and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
  4. Discard the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Transfer to warmed serving plates. Sprinkly with flaked almonds and coriander and serve with lemon wedges.
I hope this helps. If you want any more please let me know.

Enjoy

Last edited:
No probs!

Pork Biryani - serves 4
Free on Green if using minced pork as a Healthy Extra otherwise 6 syns per serving.
Free on Extra Easy

4 spring onions
1 garlic clove
1"/2 1/2 cm piece fresh root ginger
8oz/227g extra-lean minced pork
Fry Light
1 egg
1lb/454g freshly boiled rice
4oz/113g frozen mixed vegetables
1 tbsp soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Prepare the ingredients; thinly slice the spring onions, finely chop the garlic, peel and grate the ginger.
  2. Fry the minced pork in a little Fry Light until tender. Meanwhile, in another pan, fry the spring onions, garlic and root ginger for 1-2 minutes. Crack in the egg and scramble for a couple of minutes until the egg is just set
  3. Stir the pork, rice and mixed vegetables into the spring onion mixture and continue to cook for a further 4-5 minutes until piping hot.
  4. Stir in the soy sauce and black pepper to taste. Serve immediately in warmed bowls.
Hope you like it:D

:hide:

Erm, I think SW might take exception to people posting loads of recipes from the book. After all it is copyrighted and posting the recipes here means people won't go and buy the book. We wouldn't want to get the board in trouble. Sorry to be a killjoy.

Sorry Circes, I didn't even think about it because it came free with the Slimming World magazine last year and is not available to buy separately.:sigh:

However I will not post any more so we don't upset anyone.:)

Kind regards

Sorry I thought these were from the Curry Feast book. I'm not sure exactly what the position is with a booklet that comes free with the mag. Possibly copyright still applies though as SW will 'own' the recipes they have developed.

Chicken Rogan Josh

Serves 4 (free on red/extra easy)

Ingredients

2 medium onions finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric
3 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Thumbnail worth of fresh ginger finally chopped
2 cloves of garlic finally chopped
4 chicken breasts chopped into chunks
Can of plum tomatoes and some pasata
Low fat natural yoghurt
Fresh coriander chopped

Method

Fry light a large sauce pan and fry onions until soft; add the ginger and garlic; continue to fry. Add all of the dry herb and spices and mix (if it looks too dry, add some water to lift from bottom of the pan)

Add chicken to pan and mix until the chicken starts to brown (again add some water if it starts sticking to the bottom of the pan). Add the tomatoes and the passata and mix. Add the yoghurt and mix.

Turn the heat down on the pan to low and put a lid on the pan and leave for 30 mins

After 30 mins stir the dish, and leave back on the heat for about 20 mins; remove the lid (to allow the sauce to reduce and thicken)

When the chicken is fully cooked, mix in the coriander (I tried the sauce without the coriander and thought it tasted mediocre, once the coriander was added, it tasted like rogan josh I get from the take away!)

I served with mushroom fried rice (fry light pan, fry sliced mushrooms, add cooked rice (drained and cold) and handful of coriander) and the onion bahjees above. Plus had 2 pappadoms (2 syns each for Morrison’s own brand)

The whole lot I think worked out about £1 per head so a lot cheaper than a take away!

Just been and bought all of the above ingredients in an attempt to make a Rogan Josh (eeeeek!) am a really bad cook but am hoping to follow the recipe to the letter and fingers crossed it will turn our FAB! ;) However, I bought some Pilau rice and have checked the syns – 7 per pack – not bad but I might go and buy some plain rice instead so it’s free! :D

Onion Bhajis with Raita dip
Free on Green Day (or EE)

8oz stiff mashed potato (you can use Smash)
400g tin/jar of cooked Chickpeas
2 thinly sliced onions
Salt & black pepper
Approx 2 tblspns curry powder (or to taste - we thought it also needed some chilli)
1 tspn mixed herbs
1 beaten egg

1 tsp dried coriander
Fry Light

Heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
Fry onions in fry light until soft.
- I did them raw
Drain and rinse chickpeas and mash well.
Add mashed potatoes, onions, curry powder and seasonings.
Mix together with beaten egg
Spray large baking tray with fry light
Put tablespoon sized 'balls' of mix on tray
Spray Bhajis with fry light
Cook in oven for approx 15 to 20 mins, until golden brown

Raita dip
1 small onion chopped
Cherry or tomatoes cut into chunks
Diced cucumber
100g pot Fat free natural yoghurt
1 tspn sugar free mint sauce concentrate
Pinch salt
Mix all these together to make a dip for the Bhajis

Going to try making these, they sound lovely!!!

Falafel recipe:

• Serves: 4
  • Prep. time:
  • Cook time: Ready in 40 minutes, plus chilling
  • Total time: 30-60 Minutes
  • Syns per serving:
    • Green: FREE
    • Extra Easy: FREE

[h=3]ingredients[/h]
  • 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
  • 2x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely grated
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 3 tbsp very finely chopped fresh coriander
  • 1 small egg
  • Salt
  • Low calorie cooking spray
  • Paprika and fat-free natural yogurt, to serve

[h=3]method[/h]
  1. Place the onion, carrot, chickpeas, garlic, ginger, cumin, chilli powder and the ground and fresh coriander in a food processor. Pulse and process for 1-2 minutes until blended but still fairly chunky in texture.
  2. Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl. Lightly beat the egg and add to the mixture. Season with salt and, using your fingers, mix thoroughly to combine. Cover and chill in the fridge for 6-8 hours to firm up and allow the flavours to develop.
  3. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment and spray lightly with low calorie cooking spray. Shape the chickpea mixture into 24 bite-sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Spray lightly with low calorie cooking spray and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden and firm. Serve warm, sprinkled with paprika and the yogurt alongside to dip into.

Back