Intermittent Fasting

Lady Gaga

Edit: Starting part 2 now by trying out a version of "Intermittent Fasting" - 15 hours fasting with a 9 hour eating window. Will be eating around 600-1000cals a day and do a bit more exercise than before - V 2.0 Intermittent Fasting

Got a few extra pounds to get rid of and my first goal is to lose 13.5lbs. Cutting down the calories to 600 per day (1000~ calorie deficit for me). I don't exercise a whole lot, but if I for example burn 100 calories I'll eat 100 calories extra that day. In theory I should lose those 13.5lbs after 6 weeks :D.

Food wise, an ideal day looks like this
1 portion of porridge: 110cals
500g quark: 340cals
120g tuna: 120cals
2 egg whites: 30cals

Will be drinking lots of tea, coffee and coke zero :D. I also add concentrated light lemonade in my porridge and quark for flavor.

Since my diet consists of mostly protein I feel quite satisfied throughout the day. Obviously I'm not gonna feel "superfull" after a meal but I don't feel hunger pains either, if you get my drift. I've tried this before so I know the challenge is more mentally; being able to stick with it. I'm more determined than ever so here we go!

Last edited:
how many calories a day is recommended,?? 600 sounds scary to me!!!

I honestly don't think this will work out exactly how you want it to. Restricting yourself to such a small amount will make you so prone to binging; I know it most definitely does on most people - myself included!

Good luck though, and be careful. :)

You really need to be careful eating those very few calories!

You'll start burning away your muscle instead of fat as you're body will think you're starving which will mean when you start eating normally you will just build up your fat stores again leading to a higher body fat percentage!! Also your metabolism will slow way way down and you'll find weight loss will stop all together!!

Plus you're not overweight anyway with a BMI of 22.8!! Be careful or you may make yourself very ill! Crash dieting never works x x

I lost a stone in a month on 800cals.

Maintained it for ages on 1200 cals.

Went abit off the cal counting thing, and never put weight on.

Im not ill, unfit or feeling anything other than my usual self..so for me, lower than 1200cals is fine. Im fine.
Although i never restrict myself to 800cals for longer than a month and have regular treat meals, dont count milk in my tea or other bites of stuff..

x

I dont believe 600 calories a day is too low, especially over a short period of time. It is not going to hurt you to do it for a limited time which is what you seem to be planning. If you were gonna do it for a year that might a differnt story, but a few weeks or couple of months isnt a problem.

The problem comes when you come off it, your body will want to regain that weight pretty quick so thats the time to be very aware of whats going on weight wise.

My calorie intake was around 500 to 600 a day for almost 4 months, I lost almost 4 stone in that time and im very happy with the results. I did however take a vitamin supplement and a cod liver oil everyday, and still do. I feel very healthy and well on it (apart from a cold i have today).

Its surprising how much food you can have for 600 calories if you spend them wisely, and thats the key i believe. Make sure you eat good food, and dont go spending any calories on crappy sugary stuff. The main difficulty in keeping your calories that low is getting enough protein and calcium, so concentrate on that, egg whites are a really good source of low calorie protein and i see you are including those. Fresh Tuna is an excellent source of low calorie protein too. Eat as much varied salad as you can, making sure you choose differnt coloured salads ( you know, red peppers, red tomatoes, green salad leaves like baby spinach, purple beetroots). Avoid carbs as much as you can, you may get carb withdrawal at the start but it will go after a few days, and will help stop you getting hungry if you can keep the carbs at bay.

As of this month, I am now increasing my calories a little, currently im on around 700 to 800 a day and i will increase that a bit more each month until I find the optimum amount of calories to maintain my weight, and hopefully shift the last 2 stone in the process of finding it.

Good luck with your plan!

edit: wanted to add that i see you are 5 7 and currently weigh 10st 5lb, at your height you want to lose another stone, taking you down to around 9st 5lb, thats not too thin for that height. If you wanted to go below 9st, then that would be too thin, but i think you are right to try and shift that stone as quickly and painlessly as you can, although you are certainly not overweight at your current weight. Just be careful once you get there that you dont suddenly gain it all again, as you are likely to end up weighing more than you do now. Thats the price we pay for going on diets in the first place sadly.

Last edited:
I also think 600 is too low for six weeks. The day outlined included no fruit or veg, no fibre, no source of calcium-no good! Weather, I don't think maintaining on 1200 is much good either- most wouldn't drop below that to lose! I know we all want quick results, but consider the longer term results and be kind to yourself!

You really need to be careful eating those very few calories!

You'll start burning away your muscle instead of fat as you're body will think you're starving which will mean when you start eating normally you will just build up your fat stores again leading to a higher body fat percentage!! Also your metabolism will slow way way down and you'll find weight loss will stop all together!!
Weight loss only stops when you reach a balance between calories in and out. Metabolism always slows down during weightloss because you don't need as much energy as before, it doesn't stop completely though. I know I should lift some weights to minimize muscle loss... but I tend to get so bored with it lol.

I lost a stone in a month on 800cals.

Maintained it for ages on 1200 cals.

Went abit off the cal counting thing, and never put weight on.

Im not ill, unfit or feeling anything other than my usual self..so for me, lower than 1200cals is fine. Im fine.
Although i never restrict myself to 800cals for longer than a month and have regular treat meals, dont count milk in my tea or other bites of stuff..

x
Well done!! Yeah, as long as it's just for a short period of time it's fine really :).

I also think 600 is too low for six weeks. The day outlined included no fruit or veg, no fibre, no source of calcium-no good! Weather, I don't think maintaining on 1200 is much good either- most wouldn't drop below that to lose! I know we all want quick results, but consider the longer term results and be kind to yourself!
I do get some fibre from the porridge and there's lots of calcium in quark :). If I do start feeling unwell I'll add more food in my diet though as I don't plan on suffering lol.

I dont believe 600 calories a day is too low, especially over a short period of time. It is not going to hurt you to do it for a limited time which is what you seem to be planning. If you were gonna do it for a year that might a differnt story, but a few weeks or couple of months isnt a problem.

The problem comes when you come off it, your body will want to regain that weight pretty quick so thats the time to be very aware of whats going on weight wise.

My calorie intake was around 500 to 600 a day for almost 4 months, I lost almost 4 stone in that time and im very happy with the results. I did however take a vitamin supplement and a cod liver oil everyday, and still do. I feel very healthy and well on it (apart from a cold i have today).

Its surprising how much food you can have for 600 calories if you spend them wisely, and thats the key i believe. Make sure you eat good food, and dont go spending any calories on crappy sugary stuff. The main difficulty in keeping your calories that low is getting enough protein and calcium, so concentrate on that, egg whites are a really good source of low calorie protein and i see you are including those. Fresh Tuna is an excellent source of low calorie protein too. Eat as much varied salad as you can, making sure you choose differnt coloured salads ( you know, red peppers, red tomatoes, green salad leaves like baby spinach, purple beetroots). Avoid carbs as much as you can, you may get carb withdrawal at the start but it will go after a few days, and will help stop you getting hungry if you can keep the carbs at bay.

As of this month, I am now increasing my calories a little, currently im on around 700 to 800 a day and i will increase that a bit more each month until I find the optimum amount of calories to maintain my weight, and hopefully shift the last 2 stone in the process of finding it.

Good luck with your plan!

edit: wanted to add that i see you are 5 7 and currently weigh 10st 5lb, at your height you want to lose another stone, taking you down to around 9st 5lb, thats not too thin for that height. If you wanted to go below 9st, then that would be too thin, but i think you are right to try and shift that stone as quickly and painlessly as you can, although you are certainly not overweight at your current weight. Just be careful once you get there that you dont suddenly gain it all again, as you are likely to end up weighing more than you do now. Thats the price we pay for going on diets in the first place sadly.

Fantastic job on the weight loss :D. You clearly understand this whole thing very well. It's just 6 weeks and it's all about spending the calories on the right type of food; which I am as long as I stick to my schedule. I'm having 4 regular size meals per the day which suits me fine.

Back