Irish Soup - Full of Superfree - 1 syn per large bowl. It is GORGEOUS!!

newbee89

Silver Member
Tracey’s Irish Stew

You will need :
6/7 carrots
3 large parnsips
2 Large onions
3 garlic gloves
1 Courgette
A packet of diced beef chunks
1 packet of quorn mince
3 beef oxo
Packet of oxtail soup
6/7 large potatoes
Half a cup of ‘soup mix’ (contains barley, lentils etc)
Salt/pepper/mixed herbs
Aromat

Method :
1. Chop all vegetables in to small chunks, dice onion, finely chop the garlic
2. Place beef chunks and the 2 diced onions in a large pot with spray oil and mix and heat through for about 5 minutes.
3. Add carrots, parsnips, garlic, courgette and the packet of quorn mince and mix through for a further 5 minutes.
4. Crumple in the three beef oxos and add salt, pepper, mixed herbs and aromat to taste. Stir everything in the pot continuously.
5. Add the half cup of ‘soup mix’ and mix it with everything in the pot.
6. With boiling water from the kettle, fill up the pot so that everything is nicely covered and there is another layer of water above it (basically you want it to be quite watery at this point with a full pot.
7. Bring to boil and Simmer on a low heat for two hours.
8. After two hours it should have reduced a good bit. Add more seasoning as it does need quite a lot.
9. Boil on a medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
10. Peel the potatoes and cut in to medium sized (I cut a large potato in to 4) and place in the pot.
11. Leave it to bubble away on a medium heat for 30 minutes.
12. Give it a good mix through and season again. Add the packet of oxtail soup (I used Tesco brand but any such as knorr etc). Give it a good mix and bring to the boil again.
13. Reduce heat and simmer for a further 30 minutes on a low heat.
14. It is now ready.
TIP : It is 10000000 times nicer the next day so I would advise you to make it the night before and leave it in fridge when it cools. It will much thicker and flavourful the next day and the lentils and potatoes add a better texture to it by then too.

I had this two days in a row for lunch and dinner, and on the second day I put what was left in the oven, let it reduce, and topped it with mashed potato and healthy extra cheese so it was like a Cottage Pie. So nice!

The details :
Time it takes to cook and prepare : 4 hours, but SO worth it. Low and slow alllll the way.
FULL of Superfree vegetables and it’s REALLY filling and just so so tasty.
Syns – the only thing that has syns in the entire pot of Stew (and it will be a big pot) is the Oxtail soup. The one I used was 10 syns but that was for the entire pot. We got 10 portions out of our pot as it was massive so it works out at about 1 syn each.

Enjoy :)

image-728243010.jpg

I've got a pot bubbling away as I type :) Going to be batch cooking it to fill the freezer for weekdays. Smells delicious already. Thank you!
Liz
X

It was really lovely. You're right, it needed tonnes of seasoning and I added a little Worcestershire sauce too. Thank you so much for the recipe! Got my freezer stocked up :)
Liz
X

Can i ask what "soup mix" is and when you say oxtail soup packet do you mean a tin of soup or is there a powdered version?, but this does sound lovely although i do not light courgettes lol

Can i ask what "soup mix" is and when you say oxtail soup packet do you mean a tin of soup or is there a powdered version?, but this does sound lovely although i do not light courgettes lol

I was wondering what soup mix was too and also aromat? Thanks for the recipe :)

Back