Iron tablets for hair loss

xSinead

Silver Member
Had my hair cut yesterday & my hairdresser noticed that my hair is a lot thinner than it usually is, its falling out by the handful, and i know everyone keeps saying its temporary but how long is temporary? Lol, its been happening to me for a good 5 weeks, if not longer.

My GP recomended iron tablets from the chemist, but they didn't have any in stock when i went to get some.
I tried hair supplements from boots but they didnt do anything.

Has anyone tried iron tablets? If so, do they work & or affect weight loss? Thanks! x

Ah atleast im not the only one my hair is also been falling out in hand fulls for about 5 weeks now too and i also wana know how long temporary is cos my hair is thin as it is and i can actually notice it now its kinda scary =S I started taking hair supplements from boots but they do say it takes like 6 weeks before you start to notice a difference really hope it helps im very worried im going to have bald patches =/

I'm also very worried i'm going to have bald patches, as you can see from the roots now how thin it really is getting!
I'm going to get the iron tablets from the chemist and see how i go with them x

Yeah guess all we can do is hope for the best =) Its apparently very common to have hair loss when you have lost a large amount of hair as if this diet is not hard enough ha ha

Few years ago when I was on Cambridge I noticed the hair loss too. I bought these tablets from h&b..silica complex, high strength. You are supposed to have 1 tablet a day with meals. They are to maintain healthy hair, skin and nails. I noticed difference in thickness and strength of hair 3 weeks into it. Since I've started Cambridge diet again I've been having them when I remember which isn't very often and my hair isn't falling out as much as I expected. I would recommend them compared to just iron ones from boots.

One warning though..it does say citric acid and sodium citrate under ingredients although the tablets haven't affect me getting into ketosis so maybe ask your CDC before you buy it. Ingredient list should be on h&b website.

Because of the diet being a vlcd hair loss is unavoidable. This reduces the hair loss and in my case stops my hair thinning and making my scalp more visible.

Hope that helps xx

Hair Loss!
The science bit...
It's pretty common to lose hair when dieting. Here's why...

Each hair on your head grows for 4-5 years, then falls out. So your hair is always renewing itself. The long growth stage is called anagen and the short stopping phase that follows is called catagen. Then the hair falls out, which is telogen. The hair follicle then goes back into anagen and makes a long hair for the next 4-5 yaers.

What happens during weight loss is Telogen effluvium. It also happens after any stress to the body. Some of your hair follicles go into catagen to conserve body resources. So the hairs stop growing and "rest". Once your body feels safe again, those hairs go back into anagen - but because there was the pause in the middle, the brand new growing hair pushes the old hair out of the follicle. So in reality you have just as much hair as you did before - and it's probably far healthier hair. But the new hairs are short :)

Normally around 10% of your head of hair is in the catagen or telogen phase, in essence resetting itself to prepare for new hair to grow in. Because you have so much hair on your head, you don't even notice. During weight loss that percentage gets higher, but this is only temporary. Your body starts creating new hair in its normal cycle once it settles into a healthy weight and those hairs start growing again. Remember that hair doesn't reach a long state overnight! So all those new, healthy hairs need time to grow out to whatever length of hair you have chosen.

Usually it takes 6 months for your head of hair to have grown back out to typical fullness. Hair grows around 1/2" per month, so at the 6 month mark, the hair is around 3" long which is enough to seem thick on most heads. Again, it's not that the hair is MISSING during this intermediate time. It's just that it is brand new and growing from scratch.

Copied from here Weight Loss, HairLoss and Low Carb - Low Carb !

Deffinately not going back to SS+ lol,
but i'll try those h&b..silica complex, high strength tablets you reccomended, thanks :)

Back