Is 5 stone in 6 months impossible?

So yeah, what's your experience with SW? I'm just doing EE at home alone, can't afford to join a group and the group closest to me doesn't allow children and I have two and no-one to look after them. Anyway, I have about 10 stone to lose in total but I'm going to a wedding in February and wanted to lose 5 stone before then? Do you think it's possible? I'm 23 and a TA, so not really an active job but do walk to and from work daily about 20 mins each way. Any success stories to spur me on would be greatly appreciated x

Well in 6 months i have lost just over 4 stone , i started off at 17 1/2 stone.
You could easily get 5 stone with a bit of will power and determination :)

Its taken me about 19 months to lose 5st, but i have had a lot of gains in that time, as i am in it for the long haul and not in a hurry to lose a certain amount of weight, but 5st in 6 months could be done but you would have to be really strict (something i can't do all the time!) Good luck xx

I definitely have willpower and determination, being the 'fat' bridesmaid isn't really how I want to be thought of! Stupidly, I ordered my dress in a 16 so I had something to work towards so I must get there! Well done on your weightless guys and thanks for your responses! Xx

Whilst it is possible, I wouldn't put such pressure on yourself. 5 stone is a lot to lose in 6 months and I imagine it would require minimal if any slip ups. That's not me saying you can't do it but if I were you I would aim to lose as much weight as possible rather than putting a specific value on it, simply because if you don't meet it you'll feel disappointed which isn't great simply because any loss is good and shouldn't be sniffed at :). Good luck!

Okay so lets do the maths. Six months is 27 weeks ish so lets divide 70lbs (5 stone) by that to see how much you'd need to lose per week.

2.59 lbs a week!

In my book that's definitely achievable, especially as you have a lot to lose like me. So long as you avoid any slip up weeks (holidays etc) I honestly don't see why you can't do it. You have my full support 'cos doing it at home by yourself must be tough. Are you going to start a diary on here?

Its unlikely on a diet like SW. Thats more like a VLCD diet. Remember SW say an average of 1 - 2lbs a week, so to aim for nearer 3 a week is probably unrealistic. Aim for half a stone a month, that way itll be a bonus if you get more :)

You only need to look around here to see people who have been determined, been 100%, exercised, and - lost half a pound, or stayed the same, or hit a plateau. It can and does happen to anyone. Youre going to be too hard on yourself, I definitely wouldnt risk ordering a bridesmaid dress based on needing to lose that amount in a short time, thats even more pressure that you dont need.

Give yourself a break, be realistic and enjoy the losses :)

it is perfectly possible, i lost about 12 to 13 pounds a month for six months. But this required dedication on my behalf, it involved learning, understanding and following the plan religiously.
i had no slip ups!

You are putting a lot of pressure on yourself though.

Not necessarily a fair comparison though as men generally do lose weight quicker than women. And the OP is a lower starting weight both things which can make a huge difference.

Noone puts weight on overnight, why do so many people expect their chosen diet to work miracles. Even some people on a VLCD dont get a guaranteed loss of a stone a month. It never fails to amaze me the people on here who set unrealistic targets and put themselves under so much pressure. Aim too high and the chances are youll be disappointed.

Food related diets like SW/WW give around half a stone a month
VLCDs etc give around a stone a month, aiming for much more than that on either is giving yourself pressure you dont need. Diets are hard enough to stick to. I cant tell you how many people on here whove set targets which are unlikely then get all upset and disheartened cos instead of the 12lbs they wanted to lose they ONLY lost 7lbs and lose sight of the fact 7lbs is a damn good result :)

Just going by my own journey I would say with lots of determination and focus it is totally possible :)
On my first proper weigh in after signing up I only lost 1.5 lbs and was gutted and very nearly gave up but I kept going and 20 weeks later I am 60 lbs lighter. It is realistic, I am not trying to lose it all quick, it's just the way my body is responding to eating healthy, sticking to plan 100% and lots of exercise. This has changed my life so much already so I can't wait to see what happens in another 4 months time. Good luck to you. All the best! xx

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys! I honestly thought everyone would be like 'oh don't be silly that's impossible to do!' So it's been great reading all your positive responses. And congratulations to you all on your amazing losses. You've definitely inspired me to reach my goal. I've been doing the plan two weeks and have lost 12lbs (weigh day is Monday so hopefully I've lost that first stone!) an people are already seeing the difference! I wasn't planning on doing a diary on here as once the school holidays are over and I'm back at work I don't think I'll have the time (I'm also a single mother to 2 preschoolers and a student!) but I will keep you guys updated! Thank you and congratulations again! Xx

Not necessarily a fair comparison though as men generally do lose weight quicker than women. And the OP is a lower starting weight both things which can make a huge difference.

Noone puts weight on overnight, why do so many people expect their chosen diet to work miracles. Even some people on a VLCD dont get a guaranteed loss of a stone a month. It never fails to amaze me the people on here who set unrealistic targets and put themselves under so much pressure. Aim too high and the chances are youll be disappointed.

Food related diets like SW/WW give around half a stone a month
VLCDs etc give around a stone a month, aiming for much more than that on either is giving yourself pressure you dont need. Diets are hard enough to stick to. I cant tell you how many people on here whove set targets which are unlikely then get all upset and disheartened cos instead of the 12lbs they wanted to lose they ONLY lost 7lbs and lose sight of the fact 7lbs is a damn good result :)

It is a fair comparison, the OP has an almost identical BMI to what i started with. However I do agree about setting a target that is going to be extremely difficult to attain is setting yourself up for failure.

Thanks for your replies guys! I honestly thought everyone would be like 'oh don't be silly that's impossible to do!' So it's been great reading all your positive responses. And congratulations to you all on your amazing losses. You've definitely inspired me to reach my goal. I've been doing the plan two weeks and have lost 12lbs (weigh day is Monday so hopefully I've lost that first stone!) an people are already seeing the difference! I wasn't planning on doing a diary on here as once the school holidays are over and I'm back at work I don't think I'll have the time (I'm also a single mother to 2 preschoolers and a student!) but I will keep you guys updated! Thank you and congratulations again! Xx

Heya Hannah, I have just restarted SW, doing it at home, unable to join a group. I have a lot to try to loose, and also weigh in at home on a Monday. Sooo thought I would say hello to you. I think it is achievable, if you break it down as suggested on here into weekly loss needed, that worked for me last time I did the SW diet.
Good luck and fingers crossed for your next weigh in.

I lost 7st on SW in 11 months, went to group twice, just to get my head around it and make sure I understood the plan, them did the rest from home and used the SW magazines as extra help.

It is possible

Back