Is anyone else too hard on themselves?

frankied

Silver Member
I am constantly too hard on myself and people keep telling so. I have lost 4 stone in 7 months and should be very proud of myself, don't get me wrong I am pleased but still hear myself saying I could have done better. Like this week I lost 1.5lbs and wasn't very happy with myself esp. when another woman of the same weight had lost 4.5lbs- even though I have lost weight in half the time she lost hers.

I know some of comes from low self-esteem and serious MH problems, but I wondered if anyone else find themselves's saying they could have done better how ever well they are doing? :confused:

Last edited:
Constantly, but you know what? We are stealing the joy from our lives! Life starts now this second, not when you're a size 10 or whatever!

You have done so much better than me in fact you have lost twice what I have in the same length of time. But I'm going to congratulate you and think to myself 'If she can do it, I can do it' (Even if my first thought is 'jammy cow' lol in a jealous way not cos you're a cow!!!!)

I'm always hard on myself and often punish myself. My mate has lost half the amount of weight as me in the same time...but she seems to enjoy her life a lot more than me. if we go out for a meal she has a pudding and just laughs it off, i can't do that. I still have a cadburys caramel egg from easter (9.5 syns) which i promised myself when i had done a good job...i haven't ever had it yet!
My weight loss as slowed how for the last 3 weeks, 1.5lbs, 0.5lbs and 1lb...my mate has STS these weeks yet she seems happier than me!!! I feel like i could have done better, but i often don't know what i could have changed. i make good decisions food wise all the time! Or that's what i feel i do! ...it's just depressing when still a lot of weight to loose!

But, we CAN do it and we WILL do it...it just shows our determination so chin up!

I don't think i'm hard enough on myself!! There are some weeks I need a serious good kick up the a*se!! When I look back at my fat photos, yes I see a massive difference (i'm 4 stone lighter) but I should still be thinner, i've given myself til the end of Oct to loose my last 2 stone and if I get my a*se in gear there is no reason why I shouldn't loose 3lbs every week, it can be done!

I think we all have to remember the mindsets that got as overweight in the first place, for me it was being obsessional about food, thinking about my next meal, sw means I can still eat lots and feel good, but I must remember that the same mindset can mean I swap one obsession for another, eg my next WI. And because of low self esteem we probably ate in the first place and made comparisons with others, those thinner than us, now its lose losing quicker than us.

SW is not not a weight loss diet it is a life long journey and a chance to learn new habits, not just those that involve food!

I read the first post with great interest, I have lost a total now of 1 stone 6lbs in 5 weeks, but been beating myself up all day as this week I only lost 1.5 pound when I weighed in this morning.
It's a weird thing, I totally agree with what everyone has said here and you have done so well, you should certainly not be beating yourself up for it, what you have achieved is fabulous. But sometimes it's so much easier to see it in others and not yourself.

I'm now realising I should be chuffed to bits with my 1.5lb loss this week so go on... give yourself a big...

:happy036:

and be very pleased with yourself!

PS I'm sure like me you don't need to be reminded... but the weight starts to drop fairly quick to start, but as time goes on you just need the strength to keep plugging away and accept that the 1 - 2lbs a week is a more realistic weight loss, good luck and keep going mate! we'll get there x x x

Last edited:
I always do this! And lately, where I'm so close to target, I beat myself up if I go over a certain number of syns, even though I know my syns are there for a reason.

But like others have said, we're all doing well, and getting rid of the extra weight, so we should be proud :D

Yes me too. Cai said it so eloquently and I think we have to stop and just take a minute to say, you know what, I have done and am doing a great job, Life is for living and if we can learn to like ourselves and learn from what made us fat then we will never go back there. We all feel we could do better but think of how well you have done. If it was me who said I have lost 4 stone in 7 months but it is not good enough, then I would hope you would think I was too hard on myself. Take care.

I don't think i'm hard enough on myself!! There are some weeks I need a serious good kick up the a*se!! When I look back at my fat photos, yes I see a massive difference (i'm 4 stone lighter) but I should still be thinner, i've given myself til the end of Oct to loose my last 2 stone and if I get my a*se in gear there is no reason why I shouldn't loose 3lbs every week, it can be done!

I see you weigh 168lbs now after your great weight loss so can you really lose 3lbs per week, every week until you get to your target weight?
I want to lose 10lbs in that time not 2 stone and are keeping my fingers crossed.

systema said:
I see you weigh 168lbs now after your great weight loss so can you really lose 3lbs per week, every week until you get to your target weight?
I want to lose 10lbs in that time not 2 stone and are keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm hoping so! June 09 was when I was my fattest and I lost 4 stone then got pregnant and had my baby 7 months ago so it hasn't all happened quickly, I've been lazy with the 1st 5lbs I've lost at SW..... I've messed about a few weeks here and there so if I get my act together I'm hoping I can do 3lbs each week, I'll be happy with 2 but I'll try for 3! I've also set my target for 10st but knowing me once I get there I'll still not be happy! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back