Is eating too much fruit bad for you?

I have recently read articles that say that, though it's healthy to eat your 5-a-day, fruit can harm you if you're on a diet because of all the sugar that's in it.

I'm on slimming world and the thing that keeps me going on is the fact that I can eat fruit as much as I want! I especially love green apples because they're sooo refreshing! :D

The article also suggested to switch some fruit with vegetables, but really vegetable as a snack doesn't really do it for me...

What do you think? Do you eat a lot of fruit when on slimming world?

I've found that certain fruits - mainly bananas and grapes - so slow my loss which I think is due to their sugar content however I'm sure others on here will be able to elaborate more for you.

i read an article recently about the same; they said that veggie have more vits and mins than fruit and because they are so much lower in natural sugar are therefore better for you.
i googled lower sugar fruits and most berries and apples have the least sugar and most vitamins!
Fruits do still have lots of sugar in them, albeit natural - fructose, this makes some more calorific than other snacks. i.e. bananas can be over 100 cals and whilst we are encouraged to forget cals at SW; it is something worth considering if youve already had a lot of fruit that day.

Ooh, I could eat roasted BNS till it comes out of my ears - hot or cold, it's flippin gorgeous. > However, you'd have to plan ahead rather than just pick something up out of the fruit bowl>

Too much chocolate, cake and crisps is bad for you! Too much fruit is not.
You can read articles on every food group and you'll find they are bad, dairy, meat, grains etc etc
Fruit is free on slimming world. If you are hungry then eat it.

jaylou said:
You can read articles on every food group and you'll find they are bad, dairy, meat, grains etc etc

only commenting on what was i read, by no means meant to be controversial. My consultant made the point at meeting the other week that eating fruit when you are HUNGRY; sometimes SW articles talk about filling yourself up on fruit which she advised is never a good idea. Use to satisfy your appetite but as other members have stated their bodies clearly respond in different ways!
i love bananas but find my losses slow if i have too many.

I also like to have fruit when hungry at least try and fight it off LOL but generally its either berries, apple or melon or pineapple.. I would only have 1 banana a day as they are pretty high in cals and only free not superfree.Grapes are high in sugar and not as nutritional as other fruits I have them in moderation if they are mixed in a pack from the supermarket.

Every morning I have strawberries and banana with Weetabix and wouldnt have another 1 but I certainly think eating fruit is better than a bar of chocolate

peggypig said:
I also like to have fruit when hungry at least try and fight it off LOL but generally its either berries, apple or melon or pineapple.. I would only have 1 banana a day as they are pretty high in cals and only free not superfree.Grapes are high in sugar and not as nutritional as other fruits I have them in moderation if they are mixed in a pack from the supermarket.

Every morning I have strawberries and banana with Weetabix and wouldnt have another 1 but I certainly think eating fruit is better than a bar of chocolate

Why do you say bananas are free not superfree? All fruit is superfree!

Could be the old Superfree v Superspeed confusion again. I've done it myself - knew what I meant but said the wrong thing :wave_cry:

If you want fruit................eat it......nuff said..............fruit is good, fruit rules.

I follow SW 100% it has worked for a great many years for a very great many people.

I completely agree, it is far better to snack on fruit instead of chocolate if you are hungry or bored!

everything is bad for you according to the media, i lost a stone and a half when i last did SW and ate lots of fruit. I always have a banana before jogging as well.

You shouldn't snack if your bored.Thats how your eating gets out of control.

Sorry , but as a devotee of slimming world I know the most fatal times are when you are bored. Most of us who are dieting love food, we use it as a prop, as a comfort, as a consolation, as a reward.It is why most of us have reached the weights we have reached. We are not all lucky enough to have wills of steel and the strong resolve we need not to snack. I know we shouldn't give into food but if we do have to, to re-educate ourselves to snack on fruit can only be GOOD !!!! I would always, 100% of the time encourage anyone trying to lose weight and re-educate their eating habits to turn to fruit. Surely this is what SW is all about..........re-education.

I see you are on a diet I had never heard of before but because of you I have researched it and admire what you are doing. I think you must be very disciplined.....oh how I wish I was. It looks a very good and healthy way of life for people like yourself who can stick to it. It is a very healthy way of eating...............Paleo Food Guide | Paleo Plan

In the meantime I will stick with SW and snacking on fruit.

Yes I know, I'm trying to control it, but sometimes while staying at home all day studying it's the only thing that I can do to distract me that only takes a couple of minutes!

If you need to snack on fruit DO IT !!!!!!! Do not deprive yourself. If you are a healthy young woman with a normal or bigger appetite please, please do snack on fruit....................FRUIT IS GOOD !!!!!!

Good luck.................stick with SW and your weight will disappear

But surely snacking on anything when bored is just an excuse to snack.If anyone is bored they should do something to stop the boredom.If I feel like snacking I pick up my knitting or go for a walk or read some of my book.I live in a small flat and here all day so I know what boredom is.

Great that you are able to do that and maybe its not ideal to eat because you are bored but if someone is going to do so it is better to eat fruit/veg than less healthy foods I would have thought.

But surely snacking on anything when bored is just an excuse to snack.If anyone is bored they should do something to stop the boredom.If I feel like snacking I pick up my knitting or go for a walk or read some of my book.I live in a small flat and here all day so I know what boredom is.

What on earth is wrong with picking up an apple for example if one is feeling bored. In my opinion and it is only my opinion........nothing.

You are obviously a very admirable person who has the ingredient that is missing in most of us............a strong will and great strength of character.

In the meantime if I am bored and hungry I will munch on fruit.......lovely, luscious fruit.

I think that whilst it is obviously better to not snack when bored, this is unrealistic for most of us on SW, at least in the beginning. Snacking on fruit is the leaser of two evils, and SW is all about making healthy swaps. Eating a piece of fruit as a snack is exactly that. It would be better to eat some carrot sticks (my fav personally) but in the short term at the very least, I wouldn't worry too much. You should only worry when you end up not loosing weight anymore.

As long as more of your super free intake comes from veg than fruit you'll be okay. Just be careful of your teeth as the acid in fruit can cause acid erosion if you eat too much. Just make sure you leave off brushing your teeth til an hour after you've eaten any fruit.

Back