Is it a Healthy Extra - how do I know

mandb

Still a newbie but trying a little harder now that Xmas is out of the way.

I have a packet of Sainsburys Taste the Difference Breakfast Muesli (Contains Wholegrain). I picked it because out of all the Mueslies it looked the healthies. However it is not listed as a HEX as some Mueslies are. When I use the Syn Calculator on it I discovered for my 25g portion (just a sprinkle on my yoghurt to give some crunch) it was 4 1/2 Sys - Not bad. But then, I am thinking, there are Mueslies in the HEX (b) range and as I have no other plan for a HEX today I would like to have this to reduce my Syns.

Is this allowed ????:confused:

Thanks for any help I really appreciate it

Thanks for that. Is it possible to explain why, when there are other mueslies that are? i would like to try and understand what makes a HEX a HEX.

Thank you

I disagree as the book says that you can substitute a supermarket own brand cereal for a branded one on the list so I think you may be able to have it. The only way to be sure though would be to contact the SW helpline and ask them :)

Thanks for that. Is it possible to explain why, when there are other mueslies that are? i would like to try and understand what makes a HEX a HEX.

Thank you

Heya :)

What makes a Hex a Hex depends on which Hex it is.

Hex A choices are in the plan to ensure that we get enough calcium while following the plan. The way SW calculates how much cheese, or milk we get as a HexA depends on how much calcium is in the product (and has something to do with the calories & fat as well) For example you get more almond milk in a HexA allowance than you do with semi-skimmed milk, because it has less calcium, and less calories per ml, so drinking more of it is ok calories wise, and encouraged calcium-wise.

With HexBs, the important thing is fibre. So the only things that count as a HexB are things that have enough fibre per calories/fat to be 'cost effective' or 'Healthy' For example - Weetabix is full of fibre, and low in calories, so it can be counted as a HexB. Special K, while containing some fibre in the cereals, doesn't contain enough to count as a HexB. To get your fibre allowance via Special K you'd have to eat mountains of it.

Not understanding this won't harm your weight loss, but it can be useful to know. For example, if I were to have a day where I slipped off plan, and I slipped off plan with something that I knew to have quite a lot of fibre, or calcium, then I would probably skip that day's Hex, if I felt I didn't need it (after my slip, heh), perhaps even up to the next day. I.e. if it got to bedtime and I hadn't had my A choice, I wouldn't go and drink a glass of milk I hadn't been planning, just to 'fill quota'

You can get the 'Free Foods' mini book from group, and inside there are lists of branded Healthy Extras, so that you can find out for specific brands. Also as a last resort you can ring the Syns Hotline, though I've never done that.

Hope that helps :D

Back