Is it dangerous?

radicore

I've lose a lot of weight over the last year, but have recently come to a stand still. I still have about a stone to lose, so I've taken to eating no more than 1000 calories a day.

The problem is, I'm only fifteen, and I've had one or two people tell me that eating like I do while I'm still growing isn't safe. But I find if I eat the "normal" amount, I put on weight, no matter how much exercise I do (I am aware that muscle weighs more than fat and exercising will cause me to put on weight in some respects, but eating 1500 - 2000 calories a day causes me to gain weight visibly, which is what I'm trying to avoid).

My gran is convinced I'm going to do myself damage, but then I'm not so keen on taking advice from her as her idea of a portion size is what most people eat in a day. :rolleyes:

So is it safe, or not? Should I carry on as I am, or find an alternative?

Hi radicore. Firstly well done on the weight loss so far you must be really pleased with yourself! In answer to your question. Everyone is different and everyone will give you different answers. soo my best advice would be to go and ask your doctor. They will know you and your health and will be a better judge if you should or shouldn't do that.

HTH

Hi radicore. Firstly well done on the weight loss so far you must be really pleased with yourself! In answer to your question. Everyone is different and everyone will give you different answers. soo my best advice would be to go and ask your doctor. They will know you and your health and will be a better judge if you should or shouldn't do that.

HTH

Where I live, you're not allowed to make an oppointment to see the doctor without parental permisson until you're sixteen. My mom is on the same side as my gran with the eating thing, so she won't take me. The last time I saw him (which was a few months ago for a different reason, when I was 5lbs heavier), he said I no longer need to lose any weight and will be fine to stay as I am, which is probably what he'll say if I see him again.

I'm aware I no longer need to lose weight, as I now have a healthy BMI, but I still want to lose a bit more, as I'll be the same size as my friends then and I'll feel a lot happier. Doctors don't tend to take that into consideration though. :(

Aw ok I do understand where you're coming from. I wasn't aware you aren't allowed to see your GP util you're 16. That's crazy what if you need the morning after pill or anything and you don't want to tell your parents?

Well hon I'm not sure what to advise you. what is your current bmi and height? You do know you can't go below a certain bmi that is dangerous and you really don't want to start on a path where you're starving yourself because that's not good.

Aw ok I do understand where you're coming from. I wasn't aware you aren't allowed to see your GP util you're 16. That's crazy what if you need the morning after pill or anything and you don't want to tell your parents?

Well hon I'm not sure what to advise you. what is your current bmi and height? You do know you can't go below a certain bmi that is dangerous and you really don't want to start on a path where you're starving yourself because that's not good.
As far as they're concerned you're not supposed to be having sex under 16 anyway, so if you do and get pregnant/might possibly be pregnant, it's your own fault and you'll have to tell your parents. :\

At last check I was 5'2" and my BMI was 23.6 (but this was measuring using an adult calculator, and my age might make a difference). If I get down to where I want, my BMI will be 21.6-ish. I know the dangers of losing too much weight, and I don't plan to go silly with it. I'm currently 9st 7lbs and10-12 clothes size, and I want to be 8st 8lbs (ish) and size 8-10.

Ok so you're the exact same height and same goal as mine.Yes ok at 5,2 to weigh 122lbs is fine. Adults are supposed to weigh more but we always want to weigh less lol! Have you tried Weight watchers or a club like that?

Where I live, you're not allowed to make an oppointment to see the doctor without parental permisson until you're sixteen.

Are you sure hun? I'm pretty sure that you can in the rest of England, so can't see how Cornwall teens wouldn't be allowed to.

Personally, I dislike the idea of anyone doing under 1,000. It's virtually impossible to get all the nutrition you need unless you are having at least 1,100.

Also sad to see a girl your age doing the diet thing :( You have many years left to screw your brain up fighting food.

no matter how much exercise I do (I am aware that muscle weighs more than fat and exercising will cause me to put on weight in some respects,

You wont really put on weight with exercising. Only possibly a little water retention at the beginning. It takes much, much longer for a girl to gain muscle, and you would need to eat quite a bit to make muscle.

What exercise will do though, is strengthen what muscle you have.

To be honest I recommend, healthy food, a bit of what you fancy, and find a sport you love. Then enjoy life.

Yeah...yeah...I know. Probably been told that loads of times :sigh:

Last edited:
Fluffa: I've thought about it, but I wouldn't really know how to go about joining a club like that.

KD: Well the last time I tried to make an appointment for a different issue, they told me I wasn't allowed to without my parents because I'm under 16.

The reason I'm dieting now is because I've been overweight most of my life, and I'm just now getting near to where I want to be, and I figured if I can get it sorted now, and get used to keeping a steady weight, then I'm less likely to put it on when I'm older. I'd love to be one of those girls who can eat and eat and stay rail thin, but sadly I'm not. ;)

I exercise and eat healthy, like, no junk food whatsoever, but I find as long as I eat the normal amount I continue to put on weight. I bounce back between 9 1/2st and 10st because of my eating habits. I'll eat normally, put on half a stone, so go back to eating 1000cal a day so I lose it again.

Hi radicore. Here is the link for weight watchers, Rosemary conley and also slimming world. You need to find which club is close to you and give them a call to find out what days the meetings are. The more I think about it the more I'm starting to agree with KD.You are a young girl and I hope to god you do it correctly without damaging yourself or your state of mind when it comes to dieting. Best of luck with everything and do let me know how you have got on.

WeightWatchers.co.uk: Lose Weight Today!

Slimming World - discover the amazing you

Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness Clubs - UK

^Thank you. :) I'll definitely give them a call.

I'm definitely going to do it correctly. I see no point in doing it any other way because you always come worse off in the end. I've come a long way from what I was at the start of the year, and pretty much sorted out the issues I had with food, so now it's just a case of reaching my goal. :)

Well done. I applude your way of thinking shows that you're one very mature 15yr old. Hats off to you. Best of luck with everything x

Well done. I applude your way of thinking shows that you're one very mature 15yr old. Hats off to you. Best of luck with everything x

I agree. You sound very sensible and very level headed. Apart from (you knew there'd be something, right?!!) "I will be the same size as my friends". I know the pressures to be the same as your friends at your age, and even moreso in this day and age, but please please don't let that sway your very sensible outlook on life that you currently have. Just be careful, and remember there is far more to life than looking like everyone else. Be people, not sheeple!! :crazy: Good luck, take care.

Nat
x

PS I am also 5'2" and need to drop a stone to get to 8.7lbs ish! ;) We could start a club!!! :D

Instead of getting a drs appointment, could you ask to see a nurse or even a nutritionist. Most Drs surgerys seem to have them now and many run sessions on healthy eating and lifestyle.

I agree. You sound very sensible and very level headed. Apart from (you knew there'd be something, right?!!) "I will be the same size as my friends". I know the pressures to be the same as your friends at your age, and even moreso in this day and age, but please please don't let that sway your very sensible outlook on life that you currently have. Just be careful, and remember there is far more to life than looking like everyone else. Be people, not sheeple!! :crazy: Good luck, take care.

I don't want to look like everyone else, so much as I'd just like to be the same size. A lot of my friends have said I'm looking great now compared to what I was, and I'm certainly not under pressure to change, but it would just make me happier within myself to be the same size as them. I've never been able to swap clothes with my friends or anything like they do with each other, and it'll be nice to be able to. I know I'm never going to be the same size as some of them exactly, because I'm a bigger build. But dropping another clothes size would just make me feel 100% better.

Plus my dad said he'll buy me a load of new clothes for Christmas seeing as all of my old ones are 3 sizes too big. ;)

PS I am also 5'2" and need to drop a stone to get to 8.7lbs ish! ;) We could start a club!!! :D

Haha, we could. I'm aiming for Christmas, though it's gonna be difficult when Christmas comes around because of all that temptation with the chocolate/sweets and everything else. I'm dreading easter even more! :eek:

Instead of getting a drs appointment, could you ask to see a nurse or even a nutritionist. Most Drs surgerys seem to have them now and many run sessions on healthy eating and lifestyle.
I might do that. I'll see how I go as I am for a few weeks, but if I start feeling tired/down/light-headed etc. I'll go see if I can make an appointment with the nurse. I've been fine as I am for the last week or two, so I'm probably doing okay, and I take a lot of vitamins and such, so hopefully I won't need to see a nurse. :)

Hey hun, just thought I'd pop in. Few points to make (sorry)
1) 'I take a lot of vitamins and such' - vitamins are awkward. You can overdose on vitamins if you get plenty of something in your diet and then take more on top. Rare but possible if you're taking more than one vitamin a day.
2) You say you put on weight visibly, how?
3) Have you asked your doctor about a thyroid check? It may be worth a go because it may be a factor affecting you.
4) The two people I'm sitting in the room with are from Cornwall, and neither of those have ever had a problem getting an appointment with a doctor. In fact one pointed out if you were 14 and pregnant you would still be legally obligated to be seen by a doctor without your parents knowing (or suchlike).

Hope those are valid points and I didn't come across as harsh! xx

1.) I've never heard of people overdosing on vitamins. o_O My whole family takes some kind of vitamin, me more than my brother, my mom more than me.

2.) As in, my clothes are tighter and you can see I've put on weight. It's not just the scales that go up; I can feel/see it as well.

3.) I had a thyroid check when I was younger because I was obese and my mom couldn't figure out why I was putting on so much weight, because I hid how much I ate from her. It's all normal.

4.) Well I only know what I've experienced personally. I can try ringing up and getting an appointment, but that's what I was told previously.

1.) I've never heard of people overdosing on vitamins. o_O My whole family takes some kind of vitamin, me more than my brother, my mom more than me.

Yep, you can overdose of vitamins

2.) As in, my clothes are tighter and you can see I've put on weight. It's not just the scales that go up; I can feel/see it as well.

Could be water retention. Could also be due to not taking in enough calories. Slowed down metabolism...will recover when you 'up' your level for a while

4.) Well I only know what I've experienced personally. I can try ringing up and getting an appointment, but that's what I was told previously.

You should be able to go and see your doctor without your mum present. They do have to ask you if you've spoken about it to your Mum, and also suggest you do. That's the rules...they have to say it. They cannot refuse to see you alone :clap:

^I'll try and see a doctor then. I'm not sure why they said that before if that's the case. Oh well. :)

Thanks everyone for your help. ^_^.

Hi Radicore, just thought I'd welcome you and add my thoughts. You seem a lot more mature than I was at your age, although it always makes me sad that weight worries affect people at such a young age. I spent my teenage years desperately unhappy and trying every stupid diet in the book, and it wasn't till I started to feel better about myself that the weight started to come off. You have to be careful not to let your dieting develop into something more unhealthy. I know that could be the same for any age, but when you're still developing you are more vulnerable to the psychological and physical effects. Sorry to preach! As I say, you seem very level headed.
I think your target weight sounds fine. I would just be very surprised that you put on weight on so few calories. At your age you shouldn't have to be on anything near 1000 in order to lose weight. And if it's more 'visible' I'd agree it may be water retention or bloating.
If you have a local MEND programme it may be worth trying them. They usually work with whole families to change habits in order to reduce obesity for children, but I'm sure you can self-refer for yourself. I think they've got quite a few in Cornwall, check out their website.
All the best anyway, if you need anything you know where we all are ;)

^Weight tends to worry pretty much everyone I know. Even those who are very skinny. I guess it comes from having beautiful women shoved in our faces most of the day. Sometimes I think it would be easier to be a boy. ;)

It bothers me because of my family. I take after my dad, and everyone on his side of the family is extremely overweight. I realised if I kept on the way I was, I'd end up exactly the same as they are, and that's not what I want.

I'm careful not to let it get out of hand. I previously had a pretty bad relationship with food, which was part of the reason I gained so much weight. It was the enemy and my best friend all at once.

I've sorted that now. I eat when I'm hungry, find other ways to amuse myself, and go to people for comfort instead of food. I've also learned how to say no. As much as it's seen unhealthy for someone my age to diet, it's made a huge impact on my life, and definitely change it for the better. I'm happier, healthier, and don't feel like such an outcast anymore.

I've moved it up to eating 1300 a day. I've made an appointment to see the doctor next week, and I'll check out that MEND thing.

Thanks for your help. It's lovely how friendly everyone here is. :)

Back