Is it just my class????

**lisaz**

It's only my 2nd week, but already i'm feeling a bit narked with people in my class who insist on talking whilst others are talking or those with mobiles that constantly go off. The reason i'm going to class is to get support and learn tips from others and if your there to say your bit you should be considerate enough to listen to others and be sensible enough to turn your phone on silent or vibrate? Am I being over sensitive? :sigh:

I don't think you're being over sensitive at all. I used to go to a group, many moons ago when I first did SW, and one of the reasons I am now an online member is because I get peace and quiet! Any support I need, I get from the lovely people on these boards.

In my old group, people used to be chatting when the losses were getting read out, which I think is just plain rude. I know it can get a bit tedious and long winded if its a big group, but like you say, the point of a group is to support each other and pick up hints and tips - that doesn't really work if people are chatting over the leader and not congratulating/ comiserating each other on weight loss/ gain.

In our group if people do it our leader just says "come on, its respectful for us to listen to people who are talking" they quickly shut up. Its so bloody rude though. Some people who dont usually come to our class were doing it one week.. right behind me so it was really annoying..

If that happens in our class the consultant yells "OI!!" That seems to do the trick!

But it is up to the consultant to keep control of his or her class. Not always easy, but it's part of the job.

There were some people doing that in my class this week. So annoying! It's not school - we're here because we WANT to be here after all!

We're having that problem in my class, from NewYear we've doubled in size, we literaly couldn't fit any more people in the room (she's talking of adding a third session on for some of the people to attend instaed) and some of the new members are talking amongst themselves about whatever at the back of the room, not paying attention to image therapy. It's winding me up something chronic, putting me off staying to class tbh

Whenever someone starts chatting in my class while the consultant or another member is talking, my consultant (who is fab) says really loudly 'So a syn free chocolate bar that sounds interesting' - shuts them up instantly!

I'd have a quiet word with the consultant and just mention it is bothering you. Maybe even text or ring before the next class and hopefully (s)he should be able to do something about it if it happens again x

We have that too but our consultant nips it in the bud quite quickly, would get very annoying if she didnt though!

Wow! Makes me realise how lucky I am to attend a class where the members actually listen to the consultant and those taking centre stage lol! Mind you, in truth most of the other members of my class are retired or reaching that sort of age so, IMHO, mature ladies tend to have more manners....but it's only my opinion for what it's worth.

It would do my head in if people continually chatted away & I'm afraid I would be the first to shout out, 'Quiet please, people are trying to listen!" After all, you paid for the opportunity to listen and learn, not to listen to a load of ignorant so & so's gossiping & I'd tell them that too! :mad:

It was super awkward at ours last week as C had all but lost her voice, and she was trying her hardest just to talk... it's not JUST the new members though, there are a handful of older members - target members I think - who sit and chatter to each other. they've got the dead eye before from C tho, I think it's just difficult to control a group that has gone from 15 - 20 to 45 in a fortnight.

At my old class lots used to talk constantly, my C would shush them very loudly! I felt like I was back at school but I didn't mind as I was paying £5 & wanted to hear what she was saying!

I think groups are caotic at moment cause lots of new starters (who dont necessarily know how it works) but it will calm down, by end Feb group will go back to normal size. But i agree with all the above - its your consultants job to ask them to be quiet, so if she's not doing that then quietly mention it to her (or text her during the week if you prefer) x

Yeah I would be saying something to your C, its their responsibility... Things are definitely chaotic at this time of year and hopefully it quietens.

My class can be like that on ocassion and its really bloody annoying. Don't know why people spend a fiver to go and chat to people... you could do that anywhere!!! I just give them the daggers :p

Wow! Makes me realise how lucky I am to attend a class where the members actually listen to the consultant and those taking centre stage lol! Mind you, in truth most of the other members of my class are retired or reaching that sort of age so, IMHO, mature ladies tend to have more manners....but it's only my opinion for what it's worth.

It would do my head in if people continually chatted away & I'm afraid I would be the first to shout out, 'Quiet please, people are trying to listen!" After all, you paid for the opportunity to listen and learn, not to listen to a load of ignorant so & so's gossiping & I'd tell them that too! :mad:

well, i dont think thats true haha. Its the older ones who are the rude ones.. its obviously the younger ladies who have the manners :p

No, it's not just your class. And no, you're not being over-sensative.

It really annoys me that the majority of the class are there to pick up hints, ideas and tips, and that there are the few odd members who tend to sit there and chat, or play on their phones throughout Image Therapy - if you don't want to be there, then leave! Because the majority of us actually want to listen and find out how fellow members have got on, find out new recipes and Syn values, etc.

What also really narks me off is that there are also the few odd members that will snake off halfway through I.T - once their names have been called out and everyone has congratulated them, they feel it's okay just to get up and leave. What about the rest of us? We have all just congratulated you - where is our support?

Saying that, it is just a very small number of our group that annoy me in this way. One the whole, my group is lovely and most of the members offer so much friendship, support and motivation :)

Our class has doubled in size and gotten a lot noisier too.. it's really annoying as people at the back keep talking,, i would have imagined that if you parted with your hard earned money then you would like to listen and gather tips etc... im sure the class will level out in the next few weeks and quiten down as well hopefully:)

Princess Stevie - I leave my class midway thru Image Therapy, but it's so I can cross town to go to my choir practice in time (gotta love public transport), C usually covers me / my bloke in that time anyway (specially as so few used to stay at all) but I do feel bad that I can't be there all the way to the end. For me though (not speaking for anyone else) it's not that I don't want to support, it's just that is a mental day

/threadjack

Princess Stevie - I leave my class midway thru Image Therapy, but it's so I can cross town to go to my choir practice in time (gotta love public transport), C usually covers me / my bloke in that time anyway (specially as so few used to stay at all) but I do feel bad that I can't be there all the way to the end. For me though (not speaking for anyone else) it's not that I don't want to support, it's just that is a mental day

/threadjack

I understand that some people have to leave due to other commitments, but there are others who simply can't be bothered and leave once their bit is done. To me it's really selfish, and it really annoys me.

What also really narks me off is that there are also the few odd members that will snake off halfway through I.T - once their names have been called out and everyone has congratulated them, they feel it's okay just to get up and leave. What about the rest of us? We have all just congratulated you - where is our support?

Someone did this at my group last night and I thought it was really out. I've never noticed anyone doing it before but she was quite blatent.

Two other people always leave early so they can go to zumba (which is in the same building as our class) but everyone knows about that so doesn't take offence.

Back