Is no carb/low carb a good idea?

Lailah

I am not following atkins, but the basic premise of low/no carb and lots of protein,fruit, veg and healthy fats .. But is this a good idea ? Will it cause me to lose fat more efficiently?

Low carb works (studies all positive) but some people dont like the lifestyle - so most important that you feel good on it (once you are over initial carb withdrawal). Then it can become a maintenance way of eating too. I dont recommend you mix low carb with low fat or low calorie as that stops it working as effectively.

Watch the fruit as can give you insulin spikes which stop diet being effective too. There are lots of non-sugary fruits (as in part of the plant) - cucumber, courgette, aubergine - but our modern society only calls the sweet ones fruit:). If you "must" have fruit, stick to berries which are typically lower carb and watch quantities. Also suggest you always eat with fa to balance insulint.

You are welcome to stay on atkins board if low carbing as other board can be a bit slow - just let us know what your programme is.
Good luck!

I dont have a programme, i will calorie count and cut down and restrict carbs. I know to consume healthy fats as apparently lack of fat in a low carb diet stops vitamins and minerals from being absorbed properly and it also keeps you feeling! Thats okay, i dont really like a lot of fruit, but i love vegetables! I can eat them as a snack :) os it true that some vegetables (apart from the obvious such as potatoes) contain carbs? Thank you for the advice! X

Good luck and as Katie says some people don't like the lifestyle but it's very easy once you start x

Thank you for the replies! I have been eating my favourite forms of protein - chicken and eggs and my favourite veg like broccoli and green beans. I have cut down on carbs and may go fully carb free in the future x

Back