Is SW really difficult for you guys who like a drinkie?

Vixxster

Nojo on the YoYo
I don't drink, hardly ever at all. I can sit in a pub with people all night and happily sip diet coke or water. I just don't care for the taste of alcohol.

If i do drink, it's all the stuff that doesn't taste like booze, like Amaretto, Tia Maria, Kopparberg pear cider, and so on.

How do you drinkers manage it? Do you think SW would be loads easier for you if you didn't enjoy a glass of plonk or three on the weekend or a tipple with your dinner after a hard day at work?

I drank a considerable amount of whiskey and diet coke the other night at a party. And by considerable I am not exaggerating. But because I stayed away from the buffet and drank diet coke with it I still managed a 3.5 lbs loss this week.

Absoloutely!!! I find that alcohol is my only downfall!!! i can happily go without chocolate, crisps, cakes, sweets etc but i do like to go out at the weekend and have a fair bit to drink!!!! this means i have to bank my syns most weeks to compensate for the amount I will use at the weekend!!! I do try to give myself weeks off the booze where i will say "right, i'm saying no to all invitations to go out this weekend and not drinking" and this works but the summer really played havoc with loads of social event so im hoping my weight loss will speed up with the arrival of the winter and less reasons to get drunk! lol!

I always have the deepest sympathy for people who like to partake of a glass of wine or three, I also don't drink, I don't like it and it doesn't like me and I always always consider myself quite lucky that it's one thing I don't have to give up! If I did drink, goodness knows what size I would have been!!

I always have the deepest sympathy for people who like to partake of a glass of wine or three, I also don't drink, I don't like it and it doesn't like me and I always always consider myself quite lucky that it's one thing I don't have to give up! If I did drink, goodness knows what size I would have been!!

See this is how I think of it! If i'd have liked drinking pints of beer or lots of sugary spirits you probably would have seen me on one of those shows where they have to hoof the person out of the house to hospital using a crane and a pickup truck.

I probably use at least half of my syns per week on alcohol.

Trying to cut back a lot as it isn't just the alcogol syns that's the problem- it's the lack of will you experience when you have had a few (I mean.......who would eat a kebab sober?!) AND the hunger the next day when you crave fatty, stodgy, sugary food.

I often drive when I go out now- that way I am forced into not drinking and no amount of lack of will power can make me drink if I know I have to drive home.

xxxx

I had to quit smoking in order to quit drinking and to be perfectly honest I don't miss either. However, food has been the hardest thing for me to quit. People talk about drink addiction and nicotine addiction. No one ever talks about food addiction.

Oooh I feel a blog coming on...

Vixxster, that is so true! Food is my addiction, I think about it ALL the time both in a good way (planning and cooking yummy SW food) and a bad way (think KFC, a good Indian Restaurant meal) etc.
No help came my way! Not that I wanted any, but you know what I'm saying!!

I'm not a drinker either- last alcoholic drink I had was on holiday in July and before that it was probably a glass of wine at Christmas but it's my birthday this weekend and I'm going out for a meal on Saturday afternoon which is bad enough for my syns but I'll also be expected to drink alcohol. I like a vodka, soda water & lime (as you can't taste the vodka) but that way I'd be synning for the vodka and the lime as it won't be NAS and the only other option I can come up with is vodka and diet irn-bru (I hate vodka and diet coke). Are there any low syn alcopops that are readily available in pubs?

Why will you be expected to drink hun? Just say you can't/don't want to!
Say you'd rather spend your syns on food than alcohol!!

I haven't drunk for 20 years and people still find it a source of entertainment/humour/ridicule each time we go out for some reason - why don't you drink? won't you just have one? like I'm some sort of wierdo for not having a tipple!

I dont drink either and havent for 14 years. So for me this isnt an issue. I dont smoke either, so food is my issue!
With the other addictions you can give them up, but you need food to live!

Jaylou I get that from my dad all the time! I currently have three bottles of rose wine on my shelf because if I drink wine, I ONLY like Gallo white granache rose. And then i'll only have one glass and maybe a spritzer if there's any diet lemo. But i've told people this so they give me it as presents. Those bottles have been there for yonks!

My dad, my DAD, gives me hassle if I don't want a drink. I made the mistake of telling him once I liked Jack Daniel's. I do! One, every once in a while. So he bought a bottle last Christmas and put it in the cupboard and always points out how he spent almost 20 quid on it and why don't I have some?

My OH took me the pub last Sat cos the footy was on and we watched it and I sipped a pint of water, tap water, cos that's all I wanted. He's fine with it, i'm a cheap date, haha.

I don't drink what I don't like the taste of. Bloo if you think you're 'expected' to drink, why not do as Jaylou said, say you fancy using your syns for something a bit naughty and you don't fancy a drink. It's YOUR birthday after all!

The only time I use my syns for alcohol is if I put wine into a casserole or a gravy.

I dont drink either and havent for 14 years. So for me this isnt an issue. I dont smoke either, so food is my issue!
With the other addictions you can give them up, but you need food to live!

But you don't need pie to live, you don't need chocolate to live, you don't need family sized buckets of KFC (much to my chagrin) to live. In fact, too much of these things will kill you just like the booze and ciggies.

Just makes you think doesn't it? This is another reason why I love SW. You can refocus your obsession, still eat loads of food, lose weight and be healthy. I have never come across a better truism than Food 'Optimising'.

I use most of my syns for alcohol and will have a glass or 2 of wine most evenings. Tho haven't had any so far this week and as a result, haven't actually had any syns yet. I find with wine, I know how much I can have and am fine with that. When I go off it for a while and need to use syns on other things, that is where the trouble starts! If I allow myself sweet things, I find I can't stop! Whereas I won't go too bonkers with booze.

I do miss the freedom of having a few glasses of lager on a really hot day with my OH, now just have spritzers instead. But then I miss the freedom of eating huge quantities of chocolate & KFC too.. ;) Fitting into clothes feels SOOOO much better though, so I'll get over it :D

I do love a glass of wine or two but i tend to do weeks where i use low syns during the week and then save for the weekend but i havent drunk for quite a while now as i do prefer to use my syns for other stuff!! I also think why torcher my self with one glass when i know i will want more!! LOL!

Vixxster, I'm so glad it's not just me who has to suffer this! Why oh why should we have to drink? Hmm. It does make me cross!

I'll spend some syns on white wine for a risotto for a "special" meal (not a normal tea type risotto!) or in a beef stew maybe but that's it.

I'm with you!!

Zactamundo. I think we are kinda like kindred foodie spirits Jaylou.

I was going to make a butternut squash, chicken and mushroom risotto this week for me and OH on an EE day, the white wine sounds like a good idea to put it in, I was just going to use stock. I might throw some lemon, oregano and red onion in there too. Oooh. ideas ideas... :D

It's a well known fact I like my wine :D, it keeps your arteries clear :rolleyes:. However I have cut back ALOT! since pre SW when I was rather partial to the strong amber nectar, till I added up the syns in a can!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
red.gif
[/FONT] Original 18½ Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 18½ Syns
[/FONT]​
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

So now I have my alcofrolic beverage on friday and saturday and if I'm a good girl I lose!

i used to be a big drinker, probably far more than was good for me !! but then the girls came along and i discovered that kids and hangovers dont mix!! so my drinking has declined over the years to the point where on the whole hubby and i share a bottle a saturday night and not much else. Since half a bottle works out to 13.5 syns its fairly easy to fit that into my weekly syns allowance so no problem really!!

Back