Is the end of the world nigh?

furrysmudge

Gold Member
As everyone knows, the 'end of the world' is meant to be towards the end of 2012. Now I thought this was all poppycock, but with the bad snow, fires, floods and hurricanes in Australia.....now earthquake in New Zealand, volacano a couple of years ago, it's scary! Coincidence that it's all starting to happen.........?

Hmm.

New Zealand has several thousand earthquakes a year. Its on a known teutonic plate clashing point.

The weather goes through cycles, you may remember learning about ice ages at school.

Hurricanes have always happened a lot too.

Whats the difference now?

We have the internet and 24 hour news coverage of any world event.

So we can all get hysterical and wound up about it that much easier.

See you in 2013 ;) If I'm wrong, I won't be here to argue with anyway!

The bird deaths were put down to them being frightened of fireworks & all flying into objects (phone wires, houses, cars etc) :S

It's all a bit spooky though! Lol.

The end of the world as we know it will be heralded by many signs and portents - the most significant one being my 18 yr old son actually tidying up the pig sty he calls a bedroom.

Since there is no evidence this is going to happen in the near future I think you can sleep safely tonight!

The dramatic weather events are caused by La Nina (sorry, don't know how to get a "tilde" over the second n in Nina, you will just have to imagine the squiggle!)

For reasons not entirely understood, temperature fluctuations in the Pacific called El Nino and La Nina affect the climate all over the world. For an explanation that is just about comprehensible (well, to me anyway, you lot might be cleverer!) have a look at the relevant pages on Wikipedia.

And although we have had two winters with nasty cold spells, particularly in the north, those of us with long memories will remember the winters of the 60s and 70s which were far worse. The winter of 1962-63 was the worst, when it snowed on Boxing Day and didn't thaw until March - and this was in Slough, not the far north!

Winter of 1962

Also, I remember living in south Oxfordshire in the late 70s/early 80s when one winter nearly every plant in our garden was killed by the cold, and we were snowed in on several occasions.

MadameLaMinx is right - we just get to hear about it more these days.

People are always telling us that the end of the world is nigh - it has been "nigh" several times in my lifetime and we are still here!

A lovely light hearted post to wake up too!!!!

I quite agree with whoever mentioned 24 media coverage. Same goes with child abductions, murders, awful things everywhere - they always happened we just know about them all more now as the power of communications has evolved. BUT is that always a bad thing? because of those communications I knew within hours that my friend and family in NZ were ok despite being caught up in the earthquake.

Wasn't the world supposed to end a few years ago? Wasn't it supposed to implode when they started that hedron collider thingummy wotsit? Wasn't everything supposed to go belly up as the clocks turned into the year 2000??? The Y2K virus?! Bird flu, swine flu, Mad Cow disease, AIDs???? All those have evolved as have our medicines and research to tackle them.

Sorry went off track a little there.

I don't think the world is going to end in our lifetime and if it does I am sure I will remain blissfully ignorant. If its going to end what can we do it stop it??? Nought is my guess so I will continue only to worry about the usual things that trouble me in my day to day life.

And with that I bid you good morning, I have stuff to be doing.
x

So am I the only one who didn't know that the world is supposed to end in 2012? I really must get out more.....

I have been to Chichen Itza in Mexico where the Mayan people live....they are clever sorts, but like so many people they get so much wrong as well as certain things right.

I mean for a while they killed/sacrificed virgins of the villages to ensure the rain gods were happy. I mean....seriously!!!

xxxx

The world will end when the sun burns out in billions of years so no need to worry now :) xx

When I see the 4 men riding down the road, I'll know I should have paid more attention! Until then I'll continue on my merry way! Shouldn't we all treat each day as our last anyway? Who knows what tomorrow may bring... xx

I think the world will long outlast the human race.

What's been said already about the media is correct. These things happen all the time, the only difference now is we hear about it from every angle (TV, Radio, Phone, Internet). Big disasters are also good business for the media as it makes compelling watching so they tend to put a lot of emphasis on them.

As Devon Dumpling said "Live every day as if it is your last" don't wait til tomorrow to do the things you love!

I have been to Chichen Itza in Mexico where the Mayan people live....they are clever sorts, but like so many people they get so much wrong as well as certain things right.

I mean for a while they killed/sacrificed virgins of the villages to ensure the rain gods were happy. I mean....seriously!!!

xxxx

Which ultimately lead to their demise.. They'd put the sacrificed bodies into the lake - their only source of clean water. People would get sick & they would worry that they'd angered the Gods, so they sacrificed more people.. & put them in the lake. In the end, they all died!

Didn't see that one coming.. Did they?? Lol!

LOL cheers guys! (I'm gonna kick that bloke outside WHSmiths with the sandwich board next time I walk past). Oh and kick OH for giving me the idea in my head and prompting me to post this thread and have the piss taken out of me ROFL!! Still at least most of you had a giigle at my expense! Happy Slimming!! xx

Will be really p*** off if I'm dead in 2013 and spent my last 2 years dieting! :eek:

Sorry I wasted all your valuable time!!!!!!

Back