Is there a best way to prepare the "shakes" - I'm struggling

Gecko

I went to the pharmacy yesterday, got signed up and it's day one. This is going to sound really stupid but I think I prepared the chocolate mousse the wrong way. But you can blame Lipotrom. I've been on a powdered meal replacement before called Joylent. I made the shakes by filling the shake bottle to a certain point with the powder (it's also a good idea to add a tiny bit of water to the bottom first), then adding the water. The bag instructs me to add the powder TO the water, rather than the other way round. This goes against logic, but I'm just doing what I'm told. So, for the mousse I made, the result was very lumpy. Though I whisked it with a spoon I was thorough. It would make gruel look like a delicacy.

At first I thought, "Hey, this ain't so bad", but very soon the taste seemed much worse and extremely rich. It dawned on me that I already spent so much, and 2/3 of it is vanilla which I'm not a big fan of, but they didn't have much of the chocolate in stock. I couldn't finish this. I managed 3/4. The fact I'm going to have to eat it again later is making me more queasy than the product itself.

With all this said, I'm very serious about losing the weight this time. I'm trying to distract myself so I won't think of food. I just wish the process wasn't so disgusting. Even if I prepare it well I can't see it tasting much better. I wish I could down it like the most awful of alcohols. :(

Sorry to whine. I needed to and I know I'll get past this initial shock, with time.

Have you tried using a handheld electric blender? I use one for all my shakes, though I haven't tried it with mousse. Maybe add the powder and then the water until you get the right consistency? :)

Best of luck on your journey. The shakes aren't all that tasty but so worth it!

Last edited:
Have never tried mousse so really can't say.

But I make a lot of protein shakes, and I use one of these:

http://s3.thcdn.com/productimg/0/960/960/98/10485098-1396026973-446248.jpg

That metal swirly ball makes a world of a difference. (I had a 1 litre SmartShake one that broke on first use as it fell to the floor, so just beware that they can be fragile despite being BPA free etc)

I also keep a bottle of water IN the fridge for shake making. The coldness makes the shakes a bit more paletable IMO. I tend to just chug mine down the hatch and try best to not think about whatever flavour it was meant to have been. If I do it as meal replacement, I have an apple on hand so my teeth get to chomp on something so my brain gets the idea that I really have eaten and does not freak out or give me cravings.

Thanks very much for your replies! :) I've now survived day two. Getting there at least. I've yet to try the chocolate milkshake (hopefully nicer than the consistency of the mousse!) but since I have more of them, I've had a few of the vanilla milkshakes. I have to chug them and forget about the awful flavour. As horrible as it is, I can finish one in 1-2 minutes and be bloody glad it's over and done with!

I thought it would be disgusting, but after going through some posts with some favourable opinions I'm thinking of getting a few chicken soup sachets on Monday. A large amount of people here mention adding salt and pepper, and a small minority are totally against it since Lipotrim said nothing extra can be added. So I'm a little stuck. I'm thinking of adding a little sea salt and black pepper, but will it be harmful to the diet?

Nice suggestions from both of you. I do have a ninja blender but I'm finding the shaker bottle fine. (See below.) I ordered an electric whisk mostly for the soup and a mixing bowl from Amazon which should be here on Friday. Also, I already have those shakers from when I was on Joylent, practically the same with the swirly ball and a grate you place at the top. I've used them for the vanilla shakes and it works well.

What do you mean about the apple, MAndrews? Aren't they banned? I was hoping getting flapjacks next week would help with chewing, but after seeing nearly everyone recommending against flapjacks and for chicken soup I dunno.

What do you mean about the apple, MAndrews? Aren't they banned?

You're welcome.

No idea about the apples being a banned substance. Any "diet" that bans fresh fruit but encourages manufactured food-like compound is not getting my participation nor money. I only responded to your original post regarding lumpy shakes. :p

The point of the diet is that it's ketogenic, and eating a range of fruits and other carbohydrates can knock you out of ketosis, which is the state in which your body consumes fat for energy, which allows you to be on a "very low calorie diet" (VLCD). Otherwise, if you're not in ketosis you may feel very weak. I do agree about the apples for other diets, though!

I actually dreamt about food last night. Go to hell, brain.

Okay, progress! I'm not considering it "official" since I told myself I'd only do this once a week and at the pharmacy, but it's been three days and I wanted a little encouragement to help me through the rest of the week. With that said, my scales are amongst the best on Amazon so it was probably very accurate. The 302lb I added to the ticker was a guess. I was actually told I weighed 303.35lb.

In three days I've lost... *drumroll*

Five and a half pounds! Yup, the scales read 297.8lb! Kickass! :woohoo:

I realise a lot of this is likely lost water weight, but progress is progress. I'm certainly much more confident about continuing now. I just can't wait for the official weigh-in. (At which point I'll update my ticker.)

You're welcome.

No idea about the apples being a banned substance. Any "diet" that bans fresh fruit but encourages manufactured food-like compound is not getting my participation nor money. I only responded to your original post regarding lumpy shakes. :p

to be fair you might be in the wrong place, this is the lipotrim forum alot of people here are on a Total food replacement programme and not consuming anything but the lipotrim products.

the rest are on a keto diet, the sugar in fruit can kick you out of ketosis unless carefully controlled.

and too Gecko keep it up thats a great start, i was the same when i started, a few times i dreamt i had eaten something.... was mental...

Appreciated. I told myself I wouldn't do this again before the first real weigh-in, but since it's the first week and the hardest one I granted myself another "unofficial" weigh-in. Apparently I've now lost ten pounds. I'm not complaining. To any naysayers, I say the ends justify the means, especially since Lipotrim is GP-endorsed and developed to be nutritionally sound. So long as I don't foolishly go back to my old ways after I achieve my target and instead switch to a good and balanced maintenance diet or "refeed", I'm sure this will work out for me.

Yeah, those dreams are crazy, huh? I've still had cravings today but I've noticed they're not as strong. It does fascinate me that while a person ultimately has control over what they take or eat, a lot of that willpower is hijacked chemically. I guess a drug addict would know that best, but I do believe the hold food can have on people's minds and the withdrawal symptoms should be more recognised.

Appreciated. I told myself I wouldn't do this again before the first real weigh-in, but since it's the first week and the hardest one I granted myself another "unofficial" weigh-in. Apparently I've now lost ten pounds. I'm not complaining. To any naysayers, I say the ends justify the means, especially since Lipotrim is GP-endorsed and developed to be nutritionally sound. So long as I don't foolishly go back to my old ways after I achieve my target and instead switch to a good and balanced maintenance diet or "refeed", I'm sure this will work out for me.

Yeah, those dreams are crazy, huh? I've still had cravings today but I've noticed they're not as strong. It does fascinate me that while a person ultimately has control over what they take or eat, a lot of that willpower is hijacked chemically. I guess a drug addict would know that best, but I do believe the hold food can have on people's minds and the withdrawal symptoms should be more recognised.

i just found that in regards to the hold food has that it was more that my life revolved around it. meeting my friends was always dinner or a cafe or brunch, its not a bad thing but as someone who is more inclindated to gain weight it made living a healthy lifestyle more challanging. im almost two years off TFR and life is so different, i still want pizza and burgers and beer and all those yummy things but now i look at it as my body deserves more. i gained a bit over the summer after my birthday and training for a marathon so am back on maintenance now its easier for me. when ever i see the scales go up i think of how tough TFR was and find getting back on track easier.

Hi

I cannot manage on 3 shakes a day so I make hot drinks all day long using a heaped spoon of vanilla, chocolate and coffee, the weight lose is the same but you get hot drinks all day.

Back