Is this even working??

MommyNOriana

I've been on SW for a week now and I feel like it's not working. I follow the plan, put everything I put in my mouth on my food diary. Maybe I'm eating too much? I don't expect a miracle in a week, but I almost feel guilty eating what I'm eating...and in the back of my head I think "this can't possibly be good for me". Like yesterday for lunch, I ate a HUGE plate of brown/wild rice with carrots, peas and sweetcorn...and an apple...and a ff yogurt...and a kiwi fruit...

Then for dinner I had a huge plate of pasta with my HEXB diced chicken breast...and another kiwi fruit...followed by two graham crackers for dessert.

I don't really feel any different. I might have more energy during the day, but I'm exhausted at night (but that's normal). When I go on a "diet" I can normally feel the loss of water weight in my waist and my jeans fit just a bit better. I feel nothing. I see nothing.

Aaaaannndddd...I don't have a scale! I know I should go get one, I just haven't had the chance (I work 3 jobs and have a 3 year old daughter).

So did anybody else feel like this? How long did it take until you felt/saw a difference? I'm committed to this, but I'm skeptical. I eat A LOT of carbs. So I feel like I'm following the plan but am I on the right track?? :confused:

you should put your food diary on here then people can help out. I'm guessing you were on a green day? are you haveing your hexa and syns?

You dont need scales(obviously its upto you), you shouldnt really weigh between groups, this can be a huge sabotage and disappointment cos all scales are different so you may expect yours to say one thing and groups will say another, and weight fluctuates daily anyway

I never feel a difference on a week to week basis. Changes are very gradual, but the scales will show changes.

I think a lot of people feel that because they're eating so much, it couldn't be possible to lose weight, but it really does work!

I can put my food diary on here. How do I do that? Yes, I'm eating my healthy extras and my syns. They are usually between 5 and 10 syns. I had to join the online group because I live in the US. They only have groups in one state right now. So I put my stuff on the food diary on the sw website. I usually do green or extra easy. It kind of depends. If I find that I don't need two a's and two b's, I call it an extra easy day. I usually only need two b's and one a. It varies. But I'm not a huge meat eater - and neither is my daughter. I know I've heard that some people think they lose more weight on a red day, but I can't do that...

I am struggling with my syns. Especially since most of the food is british. There are some general US foods on the list, but I don't really eat those. Also, I'm addicted to sugar - so once I put it in my mouth, it's very hard for me to stop eating. And in a way, I'm trying to avoid that crazy feeling I get when I eat sugar. It has been a difficult week, but I manage to avoid the cravings by eating fruit or other free food. I wonder when I'll stop going through withdrawals!!

I think everyone feels like this the first week! We're conditioned to believe that to lose weight we have to cut things out. I reckon you'll get a very nice surprise when you weigh in. Do let us know!

Thanks so much for your support. I really need that. The online group doesn't offer any support. Just reading materials and that sort of thing. So I'm so glad I found minimins but alas, I see no one else here from the US. :( I used to live in England, so I'm familiar with sw and most of the food. I miss a lot of the good stuff I could get there. You have LOTS more variety in produce and such there. And we don't have quark or beans in tomato sauce, etc. :( But I keep on trying to find what I need to keep going. So I eat LOTS of apples, yogurt, kiwi and grapefruit.

Syns arn't just on goodies, don't forget things like oil, fish, meat etc

You will get loads of support from this site its fab!!

I also agree that its not an instant thing to see but it will soon get shifting & you will notice I am sure :)

Good luck - sounds lik eyour doing great!

Yeah, I know. But I'm having a hard time finding syn values for stuff. Like I know cracklin oat bran is a HEXB, but what if I wanted to use a serving of the cereal as a syn? I can't find it. I don't have the internet at home - just on my phone and at work, so sometimes it's hard to look stuff up. So I just use the printed sheets I downloaded when I joined. Thanks for all the help. :)

There are a couple of people from the us on here, and britmumincanada is just over the border, but your side of the pond still!

Hi! You can post your food diary by starting a new thread in this section

Slimming World - Food Diaries - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

As an online member you have access to the syn calculator on the website so if there are foods you don't know the syns for you can plug the details into this and it will tell you.

And don't worry there are a few other people from the US and canada who are members here.

Check out BritMum's blog as she is based in canada but she goes on food shopping trips to the US

www.slimmingeats.com

Good luck!

MommyNOriana you mentioned the syns in healthy extras - they are usually 6 syns for whathever the allowance is - not sure this makes sense, hope it does!!

Keep at it, it sounds like you're following the plan properley. Often it's psychological...as in you feel big because you know you've eaten lots of food, but as soon as the scales show you've lost weight, or your waistband feels looser, suddenly you feel thinner and healthier!

peachy7 said:
MommyNOriana you mentioned the syns in healthy extras - they are usually 6 syns for whathever the allowance is - not sure this makes sense, hope it does!!

That does help! Thank u!

Hello there!
Sorry to hear you're struggling.
I also can't believe you don't have baked beans in the US! You poor thing!

Generally, the rule is (for most things, or as a rough guideline) 20 calories = 1syn. Hopefully this should help you tot up your syn values.
However, it can be tricky because SW do it around energy density etc. I would say, if you want to be really strict, use the syn calculator on the site and enter all of the food's details.

Also, I don't want to poke my nose in, but you could be over-carbing. I have a massive problem with this! I ate carbs like rice and pasta at pretty much every meal, and lots of them too. It didn't help, my losses were slow and I was sluggish and bloated. Maybe try replacing pasta with a big plate of steamed veg and chicken on top. That's what I did and man, did it help.

Hope this helps in some small way, and don't give up! Many people start with a small loss, and it picks up after time. Stick with it, the results will be worth it.

Oh, and a big encouraging *hug*!

devotchka said:
Hello there!
Sorry to hear you're struggling.
I also can't believe you don't have baked beans in the US! You poor thing!

Generally, the rule is (for most things, or as a rough guideline) 20 calories = 1syn. Hopefully this should help you tot up your syn values.
However, it can be tricky because SW do it around energy density etc. I would say, if you want to be really strict, use the syn calculator on the site and enter all of the food's details.

Also, I don't want to poke my nose in, but you could be over-carbing. I have a massive problem with this! I ate carbs like rice and pasta at pretty much every meal, and lots of them too. It didn't help, my losses were slow and I was sluggish and bloated. Maybe try replacing pasta with a big plate of steamed veg and chicken on top. That's what I did and man, did it help.

Hope this helps in some small way, and don't give up! Many people start with a small loss, and it picks up after time. Stick with it, the results will be worth it.

Oh, and a big encouraging *hug*!

I don't eat as many carbs as I did my first week. But I am DEFINITELY losing weight. Still haven't actually weighed in. Going to get my scale tomo. I'll let everybody know!

And we have baked beans. Just not the heinz kind. But I did discover that ours are free too! Which is VERY surprising because of their sugar content. But I'm chuffed!

MommyNOriana said:
Yeah, I know. But I'm having a hard time finding syn values for stuff. Like I know cracklin oat bran is a HEXB, but what if I wanted to use a serving of the cereal as a syn? I can't find it. I don't have the internet at home - just on my phone and at work, so sometimes it's hard to look stuff up. So I just use the printed sheets I downloaded when I joined. Thanks for all the help. :)

Just to add for foods with no free food allowance like snacks, chips, cereal, cakes, sauces etc you can easily work out the syns by using 1 syn = 20 calories, you shouldn't néed to find it listed.

For stuff with free food it Is harder as you will need to use the syns calculator and select your free food, but again even with foods that are not listed you should be able to work them out on the calculator, it just takes a little of getting used to.

The main problem we have is that there are only meetings in Texas as you know, so they only know stuff local to them at the moment. In the UK there are meetings all over the country so they are able to discover, source and list things more easily.

It is frustrating though, especially with the price of the online subscription.

Don't forget to get your tape measure out! It's worth the coronary to see your measurements shrinking as the weeks go by.

Back