Is Zumba kind to the knees???

mama_mia

Silver Member
Hi there,

I currently use kettlebells as my main fitness program but am considering doing Zumba to vary things a little.

Can you tell me if Zumba is hard on the knees? i.e. high impact

i have lost some cartilage in my knee and cant do the whole 'jumping about' thing. I love dancing though and like the idea of shaking my tush before going to work!

should i give this a miss or is it worth trying?

Mama x

I don't find it too hard on the knees. With our class, there are some dances with "bouncy" moves, a few skips etc. but our instructor always shows a lower impact move to go along with it! I would say it'll be fine on the knees.

mama_mia said:
Hi there,

I currently use kettlebells as my main fitness program but am considering doing Zumba to vary things a little.

Can you tell me if Zumba is hard on the knees? i.e. high impact

i have lost some cartilage in my knee and cant do the whole 'jumping about' thing. I love dancing though and like the idea of shaking my tush before going to work!

should i give this a miss or is it worth trying?

Mama x

I've only got it for the wii and love it its not that hard on your knees you should be ok and if you do feel any pain just don't make your movements so big. You won't know until you try :)

sillysta said:
I've only got it for the wii and love it its not that hard on your knees you should be ok and if you do feel any pain just don't make your movements so big. You won't know until you try :)

Thanks hon, I will give it a try!!!

Williamsmummy said:
I don't find it too hard on the knees. With our class, there are some dances with "bouncy" moves, a few skips etc. but our instructor always shows a lower impact move to go along with it! I would say it'll be fine on the knees.

Great! Am looking forward to bouncing in my front room!!!

Hey

I am a Zumba Instructor and would recommend flat trainers for Zumba. If you wear trainers with a lot of tread on them (running trainers) they can be bad for you knees as you do alot of twisting and the tread creates resistance and you can feel it in the knees then.

If you have the right footwear you will be fine!!

xxx

ElisaHeslop said:
Hey

I am a Zumba Instructor and would recommend flat trainers for Zumba. If you wear trainers with a lot of tread on them (running trainers) they can be bad for you knees as you do alot of twisting and the tread creates resistance and you can feel it in the knees then.

xxx

Hi ElisaHeslop,
Thanks for the advice! I confess I probably would've worn my running asics so am glad for the advice. Is it worth getting actual dance shoes or, as you say, are flat trainers better?

Thanks again

i'm a zumba instructor too and i wear running trainers as i'm flat footed and need the support given by my over pronation correcting trainers.

don't worry about the tread... overall it doesn't really matter. what would damage your knees more are the twists in zumba the 'bacheta' moves (cutting the corn). just make sure with any move that you know could potentially hurt or damage your knee that you lift your feel. in zumba gold i tell my older participants that they must lift their feet to avoid the twisting action.

also... please DO NOT WEAR dance shoes, they're totally utterly useless for zumba! they've no grip, are too slidey and offer 0 support so you'll most likely end up with injuries!

great things said:
i'm a zumba instructor too and i wear running trainers as i'm flat footed and need the support given by my over pronation correcting trainers.

don't worry about the tread... overall it doesn't really matter. what would damage your knees more are the twists in zumba the 'bacheta' moves (cutting the corn). just make sure with any move that you know could potentially hurt or damage your knee that you lift your feel. in zumba gold i tell my older participants that they must lift their feet to avoid the twisting action.

also... please DO NOT WEAR dance shoes, they're totally utterly useless for zumba! they've no grip, are too slidey and offer 0 support so you'll most likely end up with injuries!

Thank you Great Things, you've just saved me some money!

Here's hoping that Santa brings me zumba!!!

Hey

xxx

Agree so much. I changed to jazz dance trainers and really notice the difference!

Agree so much. I changed to jazz dance trainers and really notice the difference!

i bought some blochs but they hurt me, caused injuries as zumba is fitness more than dance and in dance shoes there is 0 support for fitness. ended up with bad shin splints and a pulled muscle. :(

This is an issue with Zumba and that is no two classes are exactly alike. Yes, Zumba sends out choreo to their ZIN members so much of it is cookie cutter. However, there are many variables...some instructors are more dance oriented and others more fitness/cardio oriented. Still others will come up with their own choreography. The best thing to do is to either have an instructor who has been teaching for a long time...not just Zumba but has been in the fitness industry for quite a while OR to to take a class from a Certified Primary Group Exercise instructor. A regular Zumba/ZIN instructor is licensed, not certified. I just received my Certification and it was difficult (I am an RN), but you do learn to work with a group class, reducing risk of injury, and modifying moves for certain people.

Three things are important for safety: 1. Proper footwear. Sorry, but the dance sneakers are "dedicated" shoes made for easy moving and preventing the foot gripping the floor. Your knee must follow the direction of your foot and the knee must not be hyperextended over your feet. A cross trainer can be to grippy. Running shoes...a big no-no. 2. Floor surface: most clubs and aerobic/dance studios know to install a floor with "give". A floated hardwood floor or even a vinyl floor over plywood will ease impact. Beware, in that, often Zumba classes are held in church basements, and rooms in buildings not dedicated for cardio exercise. Recently, I found a Zumba class taught at my church and the floor was hardwood laid over concrete!!! Ouch! Lastly.....If you have weak quads (thighs) and weak hamstrings, you are increasing your risk injury dramatically. Making sure that the muscles surround the knee (patella) is VERY important. There are exercises to accomplish that. If you do not want to slide your foot, do the fancy fun moves, then perhaps another class is for you. By the way, there are a variety of dance sneakers...just make sure you pick the correct one for you.

I realised I needed different shoes the first time I tried it as pulledmy back by trainer getting stuck in funny position to body.

Back