It probably shouldn't but it does annoy me when.....

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by *Emsie*, 29 November 2010 Social URL.

1. *Emsie*

*Emsie* Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World from home
    people tell me my confidence has grown now I've lost my weight!
    I disagree actually the confidence has grown because of the counselling I've been getting which helped me to get to a point that I was able to face the fact that I wanted to lose weight! I don't tell many people about my counselling though and because they can see my weight loss they decide thats what it is but I find it a bit insulting too as if I had no right to be confident when bigger and Im sure that even beneath the 7 and a half stones of fat Ive lost Im still me! Aren't I??
    Of course on the positive side its nice people are noticing the weight loss but Grrrrrr!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Paulusmaximus

Paulusmaximus Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    i hear ya, people trying to compliment you and only sounding condescending.

I believe there is an element of truth in being more confident as you lose weight, but the confidence is in how you look rather than how you act.

At the end of the day, you are who you are, and i try to just let those sort of comments be "water off a duck's back" and pay little attention to them.

4. *Emsie*

*Emsie* Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World from home
    I know I shouldn't let it get to me just need to let off steam sometimes. In some ways thoughI actually find I am more self concious now have lost weight as am noticed in different ways and get attention that I wouldn't have got before or attention that Im not used to getting and I am not used to handling yet!

5. Gettingthinnerbytheday

Gettingthinnerbytheday Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I would just take it as a compliement, like you said, not many people know about the counselling :)

Great to hear that your doing well - what ever the reason :D

6. *Emsie*

*Emsie* Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World from home
    Yeah you are right it was meant well just one of those days x

7. *Emsie*

*Emsie* Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World from home
    Thanks...you are doing pretty well yourself! ;) Its such a public journey sometimes its hard to handle but hey its worth it! x

8. Winky

Winky Full Member

Start Weight:
    25st5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st8.2lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st13lb
    Lost(%):
    9st10.8lb(38.54%)
    Diet:
    CD SS and SS+
    Hi Emsie, I understand where you're coming from. I find compliments are usually a double edged sword. On the one hand it feels good that people are noticing all your hard work, but on the other hand, when they say someting like "You are looking really good" I want to say back "Did I look like sh** before?" Ungracious? Perhaps, but it's the way it makes me feel sometimes.

*Emsie* likes this.
  9. *Emsie*

*Emsie* Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World from home
    Yeah theres that too! I have been obese since I was a young teenager and so therefore the whole of my adult life so far. So it can hurt when something said, however well meant, that rubbishes you during that time.
    I do know I look better now but I am still me and more than my weight or size whatever it may be!
    Thanks for the support x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.