It's a new year and I haven't been here in a while...

Sally_Cinnamon

doesn't have a witty name
...since 19th June, according to my log in details.

Anyway, since then there have been some major changes in my life. I found out that I'm gluten intolerant :sigh: and have spent the last 6 months trying to figure out new ways to eat without any kind of grain. I can tell you, that has NOT been a barrel of laughs, and I've gained weight as a result. Gluten free options tend to be much higher in fat and sugar than other choices so even cutting out the obvious weight-gain culprits hasn't helped that much when a slice of gluten free bread has three times as many calories and whatnot as normal bread. Anyway, for the most part I'm pretty much on top of that. I tend not to have bread because the yeast has also proved problematic and I've switched to rice pasta. Plus, I eat a LOT of rice. Rice is my friend. Thankfully I've discovered that I prefer brown rice so at least there are some health benefits.

Then, on Boxing Day, my appendix went pear-shaped. I wound up in the ER at 2.30am and by 10.00am was in emergency surgery. My darling appendix ruptured as they were removing it--close shave there then! As of right now, I'm still recuperating at home--no lifting, driving, etc etc for at least another week.

But most importantly, it's back to the healthy eating. The appendix thing, while impossible to predict, served as a reminder that I really need to take better care of myself and concentrate on losing weight. I've had a paper accepted at a conference in Kansas in March and I want to look and feel better about myself than I do right now. Professionally, this is terribly important to me so I need to look the part.

Anyway, the upshot of that is...I'm back. I doubt anyone remembers me though (which is okay :) ) Looking forward to sharing my success with you and enjoying your successes too.

Sally_Cinnamon said:
...since 19th June, according to my log in details.

Anyway, since then there have been some major changes in my life. I found out that I'm gluten intolerant :sigh: and have spent the last 6 months trying to figure out new ways to eat without any kind of grain. I can tell you, that has NOT been a barrel of laughs, and I've gained weight as a result. Gluten free options tend to be much higher in fat and sugar than other choices so even cutting out the obvious weight-gain culprits hasn't helped that much when a slice of gluten free bread has three times as many calories and whatnot as normal bread. Anyway, for the most part I'm pretty much on top of that. I tend not to have bread because the yeast has also proved problematic and I've switched to rice pasta. Plus, I eat a LOT of rice. Rice is my friend. Thankfully I've discovered that I prefer brown rice so at least there are some health benefits.

Then, on Boxing Day, my appendix went pear-shaped. I wound up in the ER at 2.30am and by 10.00am was in emergency surgery. My darling appendix ruptured as they were removing it--close shave there then! As of right now, I'm still recuperating at home--no lifting, driving, etc etc for at least another week.

But most importantly, it's back to the healthy eating. The appendix thing, while impossible to predict, served as a reminder that I really need to take better care of myself and concentrate on losing weight. I've had a paper accepted at a conference in Kansas in March and I want to look and feel better about myself than I do right now. Professionally, this is terribly important to me so I need to look the part.

Anyway, the upshot of that is...I'm back. I doubt anyone remembers me though (which is okay :) ) Looking forward to sharing my success with you and enjoying your successes too.

Hi Sally I remember you!!

Sorry to hear about the gluten intolerance and your appendix, make sure you have lots of rest. How are your family doing? Do you still knit?

I am back too with my tail between my legs after being 3 weeks off plan, I got within 7lb of target and then put 5.5lb on over Christmas, eek!

Welcome back!!

Hello again Sara! It's so lovely to be remembered!

Yes, I still knit--in fact I'm presently knitting my second pair of socks since Boxing Day as I can do precious little right now other than lie on the couch and watch endless silly television shows. My family is doing well, the girls went back to school on Monday (thank goodness) but I still have another week off before my classes start again. This is a good thing, I'm still not walking very easily, I'm glad of the recuperation time.

Oh, it's so good to be back...

I remember you too! It cant possibly be that long since you logged in surely?

Red days a possible option for you with the gluten intolerance? You could use the brown rice as a Hex and have double portions!

Congratulations on having your paper accepted! That must make you very proud, and sorry to hear you havent been feeling so good. My niece is going through testing for the gluten intolerance too, shes only 14 and its causing havoc with her GCSEs, because they made her stay on wheat prior to testing and it was causing her so much pain. Hopefully they will confirm it soon so she can start getting back to normal.

Red days is always an option, yes. Up until now I've always been a green kind of girl but that may need to change. I've only been back on plan since Saturday and I've mostly been using my HEB for meat, I'm not a great meat eater. Plus, I'm a sucker for potatoes and make a mean dish that is known in our house as potato gloop :D I'm going to see how I get on though, not having bread is restricting to say the least. Luckily, all the grocery stores around here sell plenty of Mexican food and I can get hold of corn tortillas instead of flour ones. They work out at about 40 calories each, around 2 syns, and help with my craving for something vaguely breadlike.

I hope your niece gets some answers soon, it's hard that she's had to stay on wheat until she's diagnosed but it's really the only way. If you have any questions about it all, feel free to ask.

Oh dear. I'm a bit scared, sticking my neck out against the goddess-like Minxster, aka she who knows everything and must be obeyed.

But ... I'm pretty sure rice is the one major carb which doesn't count as a HXB on red. I could be wrong. (It has been known!) But I think it's true.

*waits to be shot down*

(And hello, Sally. I didn't know you before, cos I only joined in September, but it sounds as though you've had a pretty rough ride last year, and I look forward to getting to know you on here.)

Hi I remember you, welcome back. I also can't believe it is so long since you were last here.

Well done on getting your paper accepted that must be an amazing feeling.

Hey Sally,
I remember you too :)
Good to see you back, hope you are feeling better soon - I've suffered a ruptured appendix years back and it's not nice at all, so I feel for you.
You take care xx

But ... I'm pretty sure rice is the one major carb which doesn't count as a HXB on red. I could be wrong. (It has been known!) But I think it's true.

*waits to be shot down*

Quite right - even brown rice doesn't have enough fibre to count as a B choice on red.

Oh dear. I'm a bit scared, sticking my neck out against the goddess-like Minxster, aka she who knows everything and must be obeyed.

*waits to be shot down*

(And hello, Sally. I didn't know you before, cos I only joined in September, but it sounds as though you've had a pretty rough ride last year, and I look forward to getting to know you on here.)

ROFL LOL etc

Good catch, thats a particularly low level schoolboy error on my part, particularly as I do red days mostly.

:D

But in my defence, 99% of my Hex Bs were always cereal bar based!

Welcome back to the forum!!! I only came back yesterday after a long time away! There are a lot of new faces but they are all still very friendly!!!

Hoping to use the forum a lot more this time too!!

Lesley x

Back