It's bugging me, I NEED to know....

Woodland girl

Gold Member
Ok, I need to know something! I have just been reading the facebook group, and it often comes up here too....

What's with the whole: "I ate a shipload of food, and drank my way through a vat of wine and I still lost 4lbs" milarky?????

I am not being mean, I am pleased for all those who are losing, but you know what? I am good most (99%) of the time. I have not fallen off the old wagon once (as in been within weekly syns) I eat well, I exercise and I even went over syns on purpose to try and lose weight the way it works for others! Did I lose 4lbs? Nope....

So, I can't be the only one I am sure. How does this work! aarrrggghhh. Seems so unfair, and I find it frustrating to read about people over eating, and then saying they lost loads of weight.

Sigh sigh.

Back to my baked spud, beans and salad....

Anyone else???

xxx:sigh:

It's annoys me too. When I go out I limit what I eat and drink worrying about staying on plan. I don't think I've ever gone over my weekly syns and I've had now had 3 disappointing weigh ins out of 6.

I think it does have to do with the amount to lose and the exercise you do. I'm coming up to my last stone and a bit. Notoriously hard to shift.

Any superspeed tips for guaranteed loss?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Your start BMI is low to start with so obviously you don't have lots and lots to lose whereas some people may have a lot more.

Perhaps those who lose 4lb have lots to lose? I know I can lose 5lb a week to start with but my BMI is 48 to begin with.

For example I wanted to lose 5 stone and my MIL wanted to lose just one. One week I lost 5lb and she only lost 1lb and she was bitterly disappointed until I explained that percentage wise we'd lost the same.

Although I do sympathise with you because it does seem unfair but such is life sometimes :eek:

I know a lady whose BMI is about the same as mine (I think as she is a friend and I don't know her weight to start with) and she can lose a whopping 12lb a week!

But I would just say stick to what you're doing as it is obvsiouly working for you...albeit you may think slowly but slow and steady wins the race!

I have loads to lose - and I can't cheat!!! I don't know how people do it and I am very jealous of them. If I gain, its cos I've not stuck to plan. The best I can hope for if I have had a few days off plan is a maintain - and I have only lost 4lbs once in 16 weeks of SW (fairly early on) - due to being completely on plan all week.

The only thing I can think of is that for the rest of the week people live on nothing but fruit & veg. Often I see peoples food diaries I think I'm eating alot compared to them (even though its all free, I rarely snack (except my HEB before bedtime), and I dont even eat second portions, or eat off particualrly large plates!).

I am however happy that i am this way. I know the consequences of being off plan, so I don't seem to get any unexpected gains at weigh in. If I gain I know I'm going to and have already mentally prepared. I don't think I could cope with the panic of going to weigh in and worrying if my night out on Saturday had effected things or not.

I also think that a change in eating habbit adds to this too. When I first started on slimming world, I hadn't dieted much at all, we used to munch through 4-5 take aways a week, and our cupboards were filled with all the wrong things. When I started on slimming world, I turned everything around and had loads of huge losses. It soon peeters out though. Plus everyone's metobalism rates are different, not to mention all the other health problems that can hinder weight loss. We are all different, and will all lose weight at different rates etc. Its just a matter of finding the right mix for your individual weight loss. I do green days most of the time and have some pretty decent losses when I put my mind to it, but my SW friend does red days because she cant lose on green days. Its strange...but its the way of the world im afraid lol xx

I agree with all the above.

It does depend on what you have to lose. Though like you I find to hard to swallow some times.
Let us hope that my first real week chugging along on the waggon with DH for company will get rid of a good chunk of what I have gained whilst eating shed loads of food and guzzling wine, cos I sure as hell didn't lose any............promise you I will let you know.

hugs.

Thanks for your feedback guys! Glad to know I am not the only one, and yes, I did suspect it would have something to do with the amount left to lose. I am down to my last stone but the journey has been pretty slow from the start.
No great speed plans, but more exercise I guess!!
Xx

I've never ever got away with anything. Not at the start with 3 stone to lose, not at target and not now with 10lbs to lose to get back there.
One day/weekend off plan (big time) means a gain, a STS at a minimum, never a loss.

One rather smarmy lady at my group said it's because she sticks to it at all other times. Nope, doesn't wash in my book.

I just think they are incredibly lucky BUT it will eventually stop happening and those overindulging will not continue those losses, it will catch up eventually!

I've never got away with anyting either. Even when I started I don't think I lost more than 3lbs per week and that was once in a blue moon. Tis most annoying always having to be good!

I'm the same. I relaxed a bit over Easter & in the 2 weeks (I relaxed soo much the 1st week I forgot to WI) I lost 0.5lb. I suspect though had I weighed in last friday that would more than likely be a gain. I have a few friends that have full days completely off plan most weeks & still have good losses. Unfortunately it just doesnt work for me. At best its a STS so matter how much speed food I eat the rest of the week :(

for quick loss i would recommend superspeed food all the time. and it's so easy to increase your superspeed in this lovely weather.

No Anna, but they also say the same sort of things at SW groups across the country and is something that is often complained about here.
I think there are a number of factors here. One is that sometimes peoples weight can fluctuate a week in arrears, so you might see someone have a bad week but lose, and you sure as heck won't hear them gloating about their gain when it catches them up a week later.
Secondly, sometimes when we have been following plan for a while and our bodies get used to it, a blow out can kickstart our metabolism into a period of higher action, something akin to the first week of going on plan after months of eating rubbish.

While I was losing I could do this, just for a day, and a few days after I would see a big loss. Not any more though! If I pig out now, I soon know about it on the scales!

The other thing, as pointed out, that those who have a lot to lose are probably still on the whole eating better than they were overall, and may post big losses simply because they can!

It's crucial to just focus on your own progress and not compare yourself with anyone else. No two people are alike and no two people will lose the same way. All that matters as far as any one individual is concerned, is that they are losing, but more importantly, eating healthily and well.

Am really confused now. It seems to be consensus that if u have a lot to losr u will lose quickly. I had nearly 6 st to lose when i started and have never had 'big' losses- just 1-2lbs a week if i am 100% on plan Am happy with this but am now concerned that i should be expecting more based on everyones comments here?

As I said in my last paragraph, its vital not to compare yourself with others! SW think that 1-2 lb a week is optimal, and as an average, that's pretty much what most people achieve. You shouldn't worry at all. You are doing great!

MadameLaMinx said:
As I said in my last paragraph, its vital not to compare yourself with others! SW think that 1-2 lb a week is optimal, and as an average, that's pretty much what most people achieve. You shouldn't worry at all. You are doing great!

Thanks - just checking :)

Am really confused now. It seems to be consensus that if u have a lot to losr u will lose quickly. I had nearly 6 st to lose when i started and have never had 'big' losses- just 1-2lbs a week if i am 100% on plan Am happy with this but am now concerned that i should be expecting more based on everyones comments here?

Those with lots to loose need more calories to maintain their weight than those with less. So in theory, the higher you cut your calorie intake by, the more you will lose each week, but those with the higher BMR will have the biggest potential to lose the most. How you follow SW from therein will also have an impact on how much you lose. Not saying that 2lbs a week is not the right way to follow it, but it is a simple Kcal in vs. Kcal out equation - proven through the use of fast forward you eat very few Kcal, but those who following it properly experience big losses.

Those with lots to loose need more calories to maintain their weight than those with less. So in theory, the higher you cut your calorie intake by, the more you will lose each week, but those with the higher BMR will have the biggest potential to lose the most. How you follow SW from therein will also have an impact on how much you lose. Not saying that 2lbs a week is not the right way to follow it, but it is a simple Kcal in vs. Kcal out equation - proven through the use of fast forward you eat very few Kcal, but those who following it properly experience big losses.

I doubt you meant it it sound like it but you do seem to be implying that as a larger person I should be losing more and that if I'm not, its because I'm not following SW correctly, which i am.

There are also a whole load of studies that suggest that there is not a direct correlation between the amount you cut calories by, and your weight loss. eg, cut by 500 a day = lose 1lb, cut by 1000 a day = don't actually lose 2lb.

Anyway, i digress - am happy with my 1-2lb loss and the whole point of being on SW is to not count calories so I'm not going to worry about it anymore and just carry on as I have been. Perhaps my diet beforehand wasn't so vastly different and thats why i haven 't seen these magical amazing losses.

Slow & steady it is for me :sigh:

I doubt you meant it it sound like it but you do seem to be implying that as a larger person I should be losing more and that if I'm not, its because I'm not following SW correctly, which i am.

There are also a whole load of studies that suggest that there is not a direct correlation between the amount you cut calories by, and your weight loss. eg, cut by 500 a day = lose 1lb, cut by 1000 a day = don't actually lose 2lb.

Anyway, i digress - am happy with my 1-2lb loss and the whole point of being on SW is to not count calories so I'm not going to worry about it anymore and just carry on as I have been. Perhaps my diet beforehand wasn't so vastly different and thats why i haven 't seen these magical amazing losses.

Slow & steady it is for me :sigh:

I'm with you Kingleds. I had just over 5 stone to lose and have lost just over an average of 1lb a week and only ever had one 4lb loss (my first week) and two 3lb losses (both after a STS week). I think anyone who says we're not losing quickly enough doesn't understand how SW works!

Back