It's my turn to be grumpy now.

CrazyBrit

Silver Member
I'm sure it'll pass, but I'm highly frustrated that I've only lost about 8lbs since the year began. And, yes, there have been lots of birthdays, celebrations, commiserations and such. Moan moan, excuse excuse, and so on.

Still, I've been back on the wagon for about a month (and at least didn't gain anything while off it - I was still being careful), and I've lost... wait for it... 0.4lbs. Cor! And I've only got... *checks* yes, about 70lbs to go before I get within sniffing range of my goal weight.

I started back at the gym last week, and am building back up to being able to do half an hour each morning. Naturally this means my back's twinged at me and is threatening to incapacitate me yet again. It's a battle of wills to see who wins, but we're neck and neck at the moment.

I'm eating approximately 1,200 calories a day. I'm 5ft11 and currently weigh 260lbs. Upping my calorie intake to about 1,800 - 2,000 for a maintenance period back in January did actually maintain my weight for the duration, but since dropping again I'm budging at glacier-like speed.

1lb a week would make me happy. Very happy. 1lb a week could get me into acceptable clothing for Christmas, instead of having to wear a tent all the time. At this rate I'll be lucky to be a size 16 by then.

I'm currently unemployed, and have a gym membership. Should I succeed and trump my ill-behaved spine the plan is to get down there during the day for additional exercise. I just don't want to risk it right now in case I end up bedridden for another fortnight.

GAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Thanks for listening :D

Awww *hug* I don't really have advice but happy to sympathise. I too have a really bad back and know how scary it is waiting for the next time it goes. Exercise should help but it's so difficult not to push it. Do what you can at the gym but try not to do too much, ofc exercise will help with the weight but we need to be healthy too and if that means a little break with a dodgy back then that's safest.

As far as the weight loss goes do you think a bit of a change would help kick your body into action? I'm not sure what you could do other than try eating different types of food or doing a completely different diet even if it's just for a few weeks.

I hope things improve for you!

By the way everyone, if we are taking it in turns to be grumpy then bagsy a week next Thursday, don't know why then but booking it in advance.:D

Aw Its soo frustrating sometimes isnt it!? I keep looking at how far I have yet to go and I sometimes think 'can I really do this?' *sigh*
are you drinking enough water? I read an article on how important water is for weight loss. Good luck at stick at it! x

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Other than Slimming World or Weight Watchers - I don't play well with groups :D

I drink about 1.5 - 2ltrs of fluid a day. This is usually water, but sometimes some tea.

I definitely think you should cut the gym exercise as much you will be gutted if ya back goes. Walk more or swim.

As for your diet have you cut down on your carbs and fat? adjusting this a little can make all the difference. :)

I eat little in the way of fats or carbs, really. I've not actively determined to cut carbs out, because the body needs some of them, but I'm avoiding fatty foods - especially now that as I've been eating healthily for a few months my stomach reacts poorly to fat.

Waaaaaaah!

Mind fats in oily fish are good, cutting carbs like refined sugars could be a step in the right direction. Tell you what though well done on the maintaining I was rubbish!! :)

Thanks. I've been avoiding refined sugars since day 1 - It just sets up a false diabetic effect that creates more sugar cravings, so better to do away with the lot of them :D

Well, it happened. I didn't get to go to they gym this morning because my back's gone into spasm.

On the plus side, valium! Woo!

I missed the whole grumpy thing.... Glad it's gone now though, hope your back is a touch better today!!! :)

Can I just say?

CrazyBrit. Just a word - being as how up until a few years ago I was quite agile but now at 75 and having suffered with a bad back for years it's finally given way and am in a great deal of pain most days. Look after your back, believe me you will rue the day you pushed things too far! Apart from the fact that being unable to exercise hardly at all makes it so much harder to get the weight shifted.:cry:

My back hates me, and I hate my back. The ostiopaths I've seen over the years say it's just weak muscles, so when I lose weight and my posture shifts accordingly I'm putting strain on the muscles which are used to doing very little.

Allegedly, then, the problem should go away the more exercise I do, but will be exacerbated by losing weight.

Ah, the irony :D

Back