It's now or never! 10 stone to loose!

msrsimpkin

Flubber Buster
I've just begun my second week of Slimming World. I've already lost 7.5 lbs and I'm feeling positive about the week ahead. However, to keep me on the right track, and to remind myself why I'm doing this, I'm keeping a Food Diary here.

Almost five years ago me and the OH moved into our own place and soon after decided to try for a baby as we felt it was the right time. But it was not to be. So, after what felt like hundreds of negatives, we went to see the doctor.
A few weeks ago we were refered to the fertility clinic, and were very happy! But after filling in all the paperwork and booking the consultation, we were told that due to my weight, we were not eligible for funding from the NHS (and we could never afford the thousands of £s it costs for the treatments).

So, I was told that we'd get no help until I drop about 10 stone! I was utterly embarrassed and felt so guilty that it was my fault we were "turned down". So now I'm completely determined to drop as much weight as is needed to get the help.

I am a little upset about the fact that I have to drop so much weight, though. My size has never been a problem for me, and despite always admitting it would be nice to drop a couple of stones, I hate the idea of being that thin! People say I'm mad, but fat is just who I am, and I'm happy with it. But if that's what it takes, I'm willing!

Last edited:
So, here goes. I've had a busy day today, decorating the bedroom, so it's been a bit of a "grab-and-run" day.

Day 8 Green day

Breakfast
Coffee w/ Sweetener
2 tbsp Light Evaporated Milk (1.5 syns)
Alpen Light (3 syns)

Lunch
Minestrone Mug Shot
4 Hovis Nimble Wholemeal (2 HEB)
4 tspn Flora Light (4 syns)
42g Kerry Low Low (HEA)

Dinner
Salad (Mixed Leaves, Beetroot, Cucumber, Celery,
Sweetcorn, Boiled Eggs, Spring Onion)
1 tbsp Reduced Fat Caesar Dressing (0.5 syns)

Snacks
Sour Cream & Onion Snack A Jacks (4.5 syns)

Total Syns: 12.5

(Foods in Green are free on Green plan. Foods in Red are free on Original plan. Foods in Purple are Healthy Extras.)

Last edited:
I know. When I look back at it, it seems like hardly anyting, but as I said, it's been a really busy day. Hopefully I'll have more time to make some real food tomorrow :turkey:

I've had a bit more time to actually cook something today. I'm still wondering if I'm not eating enough though. I do have a bad habit of skipping breakfast, which I'm working on, but I'm not really eating a lot later either. I'm not feeling hungry at all, but it still doesn't look like much. I still trying to get a fair amount of my Superfree foods in, so I suppose only time will tell.

Day 9 Green day

Breakfast

Coffee w/ Sweetener

Lunch
SW Quiche (Eggs, Cottage Cheese, Spring Onion, Tomato, Brocolli, Asparagus, 57g Bacon
(HEB), Chicken & Mushroom Pasta 'n' Sauce (made with just water), 42g Kerry Low Low (HEA))
100g McCain Rustic Oven Chips (2.5 syns)
2 Hovis Nimble Wholemeal (HEB)
2 tspn Flora Light (2 syns)

Dinner
Stir Fry (Garlic, Carrots, Bean Sprouts, Red
Onion, Spring Onion, Cabbage, Mushrooms, Noodles, Chow Mein Sauce (5 syns))

Snacks
Banana
Mullerlight

Total Syns: 11

(Foods in Green are free on Green plan. Foods in Red are free on Original plan. Foods in Purple are Healthy Extras.)

Last edited:
I decided to test out this Extra Easy plan. I love that I can mix my meat and carbs, but found it really hard to limit myself to 1 HEB, so I ended up synning some extra bread. But it's okay because I still managed to stay within my limit. I should probably be mixing up my HEBs more, but I really love my bread. I'd think nothing of eating almost half a loaf in a day before I joined SW. So limiting it to just 4 small slices a day or less is killing me.

Okay, goal for tomorrow: NO BREAD! At all! But now for today...

Day 10 Extra Easy

Breakfast

Coffee w/ Sweetener
Banana Sandwich (
2 Hovis Nimble White (HEB), 1 tpsn Flora Light (1 syn), Sliced Banana)

Lunch
SW Quiche (Eggs, Cottage Cheese, Spring Onion, Tomato, Brocolli, Asparagus, Bacon
, Chicken & Mushroom Pasta 'n' Sauce (made with just water), 42g Kerry Low Low (HEA))
1/2 tin Spaghetti Hoops

Dinner
Fillet Steak (Which was so delicious, btw!)
Salad
(Mixed Leaves, Beetroot, Cucumber, Spring Onion, Carrots)
1 tbsp Light Salad Cream (1 syn)
2 Hovis Nimble White (5 syns)

Snacks
Banana
Mini Milk Ice Cream (1.5 syns)
Activia Fat Free Peach (0.5 syns)

Total Syns: 10.5

Last edited:
I did it! I haven't had a single piece of bread! I very often have a couple of slices of bread & butter with my dinner, especially if I'm having salad since I love salad sandwiches. So I had to litterally force myself to not grab the bread as I plated up my salad tonight, but I stayed away. And to be honest, my dinner was no less enjoyable without it. This may be easier than I thought, I just need to kick the habit.

Okay, new goal... no bread for a WHOLE WEEK! Let's see if I can do it. If nothing else, it requires me to be more creative with my meals. Haha ;)

Day 11 Red Day

Breakfast

Coffee w/ Sweetener

Alpen Light (½ HEB)

Lunch
4 Ryvita Sesame (HEB) + 5 Laughing Cow Light (HEA)

Dinner (I enjoyed it so much. I'm definitely getting some more Maggi sachets)
2 Chicken Breasts
½ pkt Maggi "So Juicy" Paprika (2.5 syns)
Salad (Mixed Leaves, Beetroot, Cucumber, Spring Onion, Carrots)
3 tbsp Light Salad Cream (3 syn)

Snacks
Mini Milk Ice Cream (1.5 syns)

Alpen Light (½ HEB)
Banana

Total Syns: 9

Last edited:
Another day gone and still no bread! Go me! I managed to have a substantial breakfast today too and I found I didn't get as hungry through the day. Which could be a good thing or a bad thing :p

Day 12 Green Day

Breakfast

Coffee w/ Sweetener

Porridge (56g Porridge Oats (½ HEB 1+2), 350ml Skimmed Milk (HEA), 2 tbsp Light Evaporated Milk (1.5 syns), Sliced Banana)

Lunch
2 Scan Bran (½ HEB 1+2)
5 Laughing Cow Light (HEA)

Carrot Sticks
Banana

Dinner
Vegetable Tikka Masala (Brocolli, Cauliflower, Green Beans, Tikka Spice Mix, Passata, VLF Fromage Frais
)
Rice

Snacks

Cheesecake (Alpen Light (3 syns), Quark, Sweetener, Lemon Juice)
2 Clementines
Asda Cheese Curls (4.5 syns)

Total Syns: 10.5

Last edited:
I got up late today, so I missed a proper breakfast. Silly me. So I had my sunday dinner for lunch, but it was so filling, I'm still stuffed. I kinda went over my syns for the day because I thought the lamb was free. Luckily, someone pointed out to me that it wasn't. I won't make that mistake again :)

Day 13 Extra Easy

Breakfast
Alpen Light (
½ HEB)
Clementine

Lunch
Asda Extra Special Lamb Shanks in Mint Gravy (3 syns)
Roasties, Mash, Carrots, Green Beans, Broccoli, Cabbage, Sweetcorn, Peas
2 Small Yorkshires
(6 syns)

Puds
Banana Split (Sliced Banana, Mullerlight, 2 tbsp Light Evaporated Milk (1.5 syns), 2 tbsp Light Squirty Cream (1 syn)) (Was going to have my other Alpen warmed up and crumbled ontop, but I forgot. Hehe. So I'm going to lie in bed now and munch it while watching TV :))

Snacks

Mini Milk (1.5 syns)
Another sneaky Yorkshire (3 syns)
28g Chedder (HEA)
Alpen Light (½ HEB)

Total Syns: 16 (Oops. I'll make up for it tomorrow)

Last edited:
Hi hun :)
Just been reading through- you're doing really well! Wow your first weeks weight loss was fantastic!!! Go you :D

I know what you mean about the bread thing, I looooove sandwiches.

Good luck with your journey and keep it up!

Lucy xx

You are doing really well and staying positive, keep it up. I find it helps to write the days 'events' down. I am on my journey to loose 5 stone = 10 lb so far. I find I am never hungry and still loose weight!
Good Luck

Thank you ladies :) I've made a promise to myself to write down everything I eat throughout the day becsause if I don't, I can guarentee I'll go over on my syns. And it also helps me keep track of bad habits and to make sure I'm not being too monotonous with my meals. I think the worst thing you can do on a "diet" is get into a pattern of eating the same things. It can get so boring.

Anyways, WI tonight! Wish me luck x

Goodluck for tonight:D
I know what you mean about getting bored of the same meals. I think it's the reason why I don't stick to healthy eating plans for very long. I must be more adventurous with food!

Yes, exactly. I've gotten myself into a "routine" with meals and, while I believe some kind of meal planning is important to keep you on track, you need to be sure you're not getting bored of what you're eating. Otherwise, you'll just give up. At least, that's what's happened to me before. So I'm determined to try new things and make sure I vary my meals a lot more.

hi i just wanted to put a quick post on here to say good luck on your journey, i know how you feel was unable to concieve due to my weight and was told to loose weight by doc before i was even referred for fertility treatment. i lost 5 stone and happy to say i have two little boys one 3 ands the other 11 weeks and never needed the fertility treatment it was simply my weight holding us back.

That's fantastic! Congratulations, hun :D

Yes, I'm almost certain that my weight plays a big factor when it comes down to it, but the reason I was refered was because my old doc said the same thing, that I needed to loose the weight first. But the "diets" she put me on just didn't work. The problem was she was just loading me up with diet pills and not explaining how they worked or what to do. And I didn't have the support, so I just gave up when they weren't working.

I got to the point where I was eating nothing but plain salad and vegetables for every meal and no snacks at all, not even fruit, along with the pills. And I still wasn't loosing weight! So I went back to the docs multiple times explaining this and she'd just prescibe me a new pill (this was back when you could get about 3 or 4 different types).

So I changed doctors in the end because I felt like I was hitting my head against a brick wall!

Obviously, now I realise that this was completely the wrong way to go about trying to loose weight. I still can't grasp how I can loose more weight eating as much as I do now, than when I was eating next to nothing. But the proof is there!

So now I've found something that work for me and that I can do, I'm hoping that may be all it takes. And actually knowing that it's helped someone else in the same situation just gives me that much more will power to stick with it.

Thank you :) And again, congratulations x I'm so happy for you :D

hi, have just read through you thread and you are doing fantastic - keep up the good work because it will definately be worth it in the end.

dh and i have been TTC for oh probably close to 12 years, and i have always been told the same as you - my weight. i was also diagnosed with pcos which apprently makes it harder to lose weight. over the years i have tried loads of different things to no avail.

we got referred to our local hospital for fertility, and again they wouldnt put us on the waiting list until i got my bmi down to under 35. dh and i both joined sw in april 2009 and so far i have lost (6 stone) (and got my bmi to under 35 for my last appointment at the hospital back in november) so we are now officially on the waiting list for ivf - which we have been told is just under the 1 year mark. dh has also lost 12 stone, and we both want around another 3-4 stone off each.

just wanted to share my story with you, to let you see that it will definately be worth it in the long run - all the very best of luck:D

Oh, hun, that's amazing! I'm so, so pleased for you!

It's just stories like this that give me a huge boost to my will power and help keep me on track more and more. At first, I was really nervous to post my story because, well, it's a private thing and I was unsure of people's reactions and whether anyone would really care, frankly. But I'm so glad I did now. With all the feedback I'm getting from people in the same boat as me, it helps me so much with my own journey! Thank you, hun.

And congratulations. And you'd better keep my up to date when you do go for treatment! Hehe
:D

Weigh in day and 2 lbs off! Not a huge amount, but every lb off is a lb in the right direction. I'm going to try and cram more speed foods in this week and see what happens next week.

Also, I'm going to start keeping track of my superfree food on here by highlighting them in orange. Mostly so that I can make sure I'm having enough superfree on EE (which I'm not really sure I have today! Oops :rolleyes:).

Day 14 Extra Easy

Breakfast
Coffee w/ Sweetener
2 Weetabix (
HEB)
Activia Fat Free Vanilla
Banana

Lunch
Tesco, Fish & Vegetable
Sushi (3.5 syns)
Clementine

Dinner
Steak
Free Chips

Carrots
Mushrooms

42g Kerry Low Low (HEA)

Snacks

Skinny Cow
Caramel Ice Cream (4.5 syns)

Laughing Cow Light Onion (1.5 syns) (Just wanted to try them. Not a huge fan, tbh)

Total Syns: 11.5

(Foods in Green are free on Green plan. Foods in Red are free on Original plan.
Foods in Orange are Superfree. Foods in Purple are Healthy Extras.)

The last 2 days have been a bit mental, so I've barely had time to eat, and when I have I couldn't be bothered to properly cook. So it's all been snacking and quick meals.

I was out literally all day yesterday, and I'd also missed breakfast, so I just ran in and grabbed some fruit and a pack of Alpen light to munch while I was out in an attempt to keep the hungry monster at bay.
And I had the in-laws here all day today who decided to get a Subway, but I was good, and said no (even though I totally ADORE Subway!) Hehe. So, I made myself a pitta sammich so I didn't feel left out. And I'm not classing that as a fail as far as the bread-ban goes because it's not really bread, so to speak. Well, okay, I semi-failed! Just shush :p

Day 15 Extra Easy

Lunch
Grapes

Clementines
Banana
2 Alpen Lights (HEB)

Dinner
Asda Extra Special Lamb Shanks in Mint Gravy (3 syns)
Uncle Ben's Micro Long Grain Rice (1 syn)
Spring Onion
Cherry Tomatoes

Snacks
Carrot Sticks

Cherry Tomatoes

Wafer Thin Beef

tbsp Light Salad Cream (1 syn)
Grapes & 28g Cheddar (HEA)
4 Hazelnut Mikado (2 syns) (For the record these are AMAZING! I'm so proud of myself for managing to not eat the whole box! Haha)

Total Syns: 7

--------------------------------------------

Day 16 Red Day

Breakfast

Coffee w/ Sweetener

Magic Porridge (28g Porridge Oats
(HEB), Strawberry Mullerlight)
Banana

Lunch
Pitta Sammich (Adsa W/meal Pitta (HEB),
2 tsp Flora Light (2 syns), Wafer Thin Beef, Lettuce, Spring Onion, Cucumber)
Carrot Sticks
Cherry Tomatoes

Crab Sticks

2 Laughing Cow Light (½ HEB)
Coffee w/ Sweetener + Milk (0.5 syns)

Dinner
2 Quorn
Lamb Style Grills

Salad (Mixed Leaves, Beetroot, Cucumber, Spring Onion, Tomatoes)
1 tbsp Light Salad Cream (1 syn)

Snacks
2 Mini Milk Ice Cream (3 syns)

tbsp Light Salad Cream (2 syn)
Grapes & 28g Cheddar (HEA)
Laughing Cow Light (½ HEB)
Asda Cheese Curls (4.5 syns)
Bananas
Homemade Broccoli & Cauliflower Soup (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Stock, Chillies, Fat Free Yoghurt)

Total Syns: 14.5

(Foods in Green are free on Green plan. Foods in Red are free on Original plan.
Foods in Orange are Superfree. Foods in Purple are Healthy Extras.)

Last edited:
Back