I've been in hospital!!

polishrose

Gold Member
I had to have emergency surgery on my ovarian cysts as I was having a massive amount of pain.Obviously I've not been on CD in hospital but my CDC says I have to wait SIX MONTHS before I can come back to CD?????????I can't wait that long!!!I have enough packs at home for a month or so(old LL packs) and am planning to have those from Monday.I was also planning to find another CDC nearer me anyway as my old one was 12 miles one way which is a bit far really.Do I need to tell the new CDC about the surgery? It was done via laparoscopy.If I have to wait 6 months I will just put loads of weight on and I really just want to get to grips with this once and for all!!!

I can't help with your question. I'm sure an experienced CDC will be along with advice soon. I just wish you a speedy recovery. Be kind to yourself!

Dizzy x

Do you know why they said you couldn't/shouldnt' do CD ... maybe you could call the Cambridge number and tell them what doc said and ask them their advice ... should really keep on the right side of medical world!!!

Only my opinion hun .. but your health is your wealth!! Hope you get to hear what you want!!

Someone who is actually a CDC on here should be able to help you more than me!!

Hun

The reason is your body will take that long to recover, therefore you need to eat i'm afraid...... Perhaps try sw or ww or low GI until you get the all clear...

Your health and wellbeing is most important

Hun

The reason is your body will take that long to recover, therefore you need to eat i'm afraid...... Perhaps try sw or ww or low GI until you get the all clear...

Your health and wellbeing is most important

The trouble is if I leave it that long I am going to weigh a hell of a lot more than I do now and my blood pressure will go through the roof thus damaging my health more :( It's not major surgery and I've been told I should be back to normal within 2 weeks so I can't see why they say 6 months! If I had a heart transplant or something I could understand it.My blood pressure is high already and I have an enlarged heart from it-my GP has said if I don't lose weight I will damage my heart even more.But I can't do it by eating!I never have been able to :( If I could I would have done it by now.Feeling really depressed now.Feel like I'm destined to be fat forever.Plus the doc has only given me 3 months to get my blood pressure down to acceptable numbers before he puts me on tablets.My bf and I want to have a baby when I lose weight-I'm 36 next month so it's not like I've got years and years of fertility left :(

Hi Polishrose, I was only wondering about you this afternoon as not seen any posts from you!!! Hope your feeling better, hope you get the issue sorted of no SSing!! You must be really fed up thinking you cant do it!!!!! Take care sarahxx.

If your doctor gives you a clean bill of health you could start after 3 months i believe. The reason why the wait is if you have an operation where you are cut your body needs extra protein to heal which you wouldnt get from Cambridge Diet. (only daily recommended amount not extra)You should not try to go on diet before this time as its your health thats at stake, try the GI diet instead and then when you start you are giving yourself the best possible chance of healing.

julesrush

So would that apply if someone had a deep cut that needed stitches? One cut is about an inch long and the other is about half that.The smaller one is closed and healing already, the other one has stitches in and the doc who operated on me said it would take about 2 weeks to heal.He said he would be happy for me to try for a baby after the 2 weeks as long as it had healed so I can't see why SS would be an issue after this time.He certainly didn't say anything to me about eating more protein.Surely if my BP goes up more(it's at 180/95 at the moment) then that will be more dangerous? To be perfectly honest if I have to get CD stuff from Ebay then I will.As long as I feel well and the cuts from the op have healed I see no reason to wait such a long time.I'm going to be seeing the doc every few weeks anyway for BP checks so if I have any concerns I can talk to him then.I know you're all going to tell me off for going to Ebay, but I am not prepared to wait 6 or even 3 months and run the risk of damaging my heart more by putting on weight.I have tried and tried losing weight by eating normally and I just can't do it.There's no point fooling myself and saying I can because I know I won't.Plus the weight loss on food diets is so pitifully slow it won't affect my blood pressure for the better in time.So..sorry folks,you can tell me off if you like but I WILL be going back on SS as of Monday using the packs I have,and if I don't find anyone willing to take me on I will get packs from Ebay until the 3 months are up.

Hi Polishrose,

Maybe once you get the all clear from your doctor, get it in writing and see a new CDC??? or ring Cambridge helpline... they may be able to give you advise...

I know what you mean, it wasn't a major operation, but maybe there just isn't enough stuff in the shakes and that to aid healing?? but I do know how frustrated you must be, cos you just want to get the weight off, and help your health...

Hope you get the answers you need.. sending positive vibes...

Love

Thanks Nikki-yeah frustrated is definitely the word.I'm just scared of putting on so much weight if I don't do this :(

hiya PR glad your on the mend was wondering where you were sorry to hear about the cd thing but only you can decide what to do best of luck honey xxxxxx:wavey:

I actually phoned Cambridge concerning a client who had minor surgery but was still cut as was told as it was a minor operation aslong as she waited for her checkup if the doctor was prepared to sign form to say she had healed properly then she could go onto CD diet again before the 3 months. Maybe you could ask your CDC to verify this with CD and say how minor the operation was and when your checkup appointment is????

julesrush

Thanks Nikki-yeah frustrated is definitely the word.I'm just scared of putting on so much weight if I don't do this :(

I would try and stand you ground, you know what they have said in the hospital, and you know that once you get checked you are fine, so why not ask at your checkif it is OK to continue on your VLCD. If you get the OK from them, then that should surely be OK with CD??

I think i would be the same as you. I have PCOS and found it really hard to conceive, but 6 years on I fell pregnant! and have a fantastic little boy who has just turned one!!...so it can and will happen...

Good luck with your recovery, take it easy (so you do get the all clear!) and stay strong, you can do it...:vibes:

Love

Thanks all-I'm due to see the doc next month so will ask him to write a letter to say I can go back on it and hope that's acceptable.I still need to find a new CDC nearer me-mine is lovely but just too far away to make it practical.(I'm still going to use up my packs first-if I feel unwell or I find I'm not healing then obviously I'll give it a break but I won't know till I try)

Thanks all-I'm due to see the doc next month so will ask him to write a letter to say I can go back on it and hope that's acceptable.I still need to find a new CDC nearer me-mine is lovely but just too far away to make it practical.(I'm still going to use up my packs first-if I feel unwell or I find I'm not healing then obviously I'll give it a break but I won't know till I try)

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine...:hug99:

Love

Thanks but I have tried WW before and know I won't lose weight on it-I used to lose at most a lb a week-that's no good to me at all when I have almost 9 stone to lose.I would assume she would have caught an infection anyway, and that it wasn't related to the packs(no way of proving or disproving it I suppose).It's been 5 days since my op, I'm healing nicely.If I start to feel unwell I will see my GP. I doubt I'm having all that much protein anyway eating normal food.I'm not a big protein eater.I prefer bread to chicken etc.I've made my decision-I'm going to use up the packs I have left but have an extra pack a day(which provides more protein yes?), and then when I see my GP in 4 weeks I will get him to write a letter to say he's happy for me to go back on CD and will find a CDC here :)
If it was major surgery I wouldn't do it, but seeing as this surgery is sometimes done as an outpatient case(you go in in the morning and go home again in the evening) then I feel confident I won't have any side effects from going back on CD now.Of course if I have any problems you can say "I told you so" :D

Last edited:
Hiya PR,

You could always do 790, as that way you'd stay in ketosis but be gettng extra protein. Apparently the weight losses are virtually the same as SS, only a couple of pounds or so a month different. Or maybe you just don't really want food at all?? Just a thought, anyway.
SM

Hiya PR,

You could always do 790, as that way you'd stay in ketosis but be gettng extra protein. Apparently the weight losses are virtually the same as SS, only a couple of pounds or so a month different. Or maybe you just don't really want food at all?? Just a thought, anyway.
SM

I much prefer the 790 plan. As you say the losses aren't that much less than when SS-ing and the extra food makes life worth living.

Yes I exaggerate - but you know what I mean. My tum seems to know only too well when it is empty of food - gallons of extra water or no.

I did think of that but I think eating something would make me want to eat other things.I'm not an eating from hunger person.I'm an eating for comfort person, and that needs to be addressed while I can't have food or I will just replace eating chocolate for comfort with eating chicken or cottage cheese-healthier but still the same problem.

Hello there,

I know that it is a pain in the posterior to be told you need to come off CD but I promise you it is not only the healing on the outside but the inside too. Im not a CDC but I am a nurse and honestly you dont want to go down the road of infections and getting so run down you end up back in hospital do you??
Try the healthy eating option dont eat to many carbs but plenty of protein and you will be back on your feet in no time, also if you give yourself a break it will boost your immune system and healing will be quicker.
All the best

Back