I've decided to quit Dukan - need advice

October

Dukan has been good to me so far, but I don't feel like it's working for me anymore. Now what I need is advice as to the most sensible way to ease off and switch back to a more normal low carb diet.

I don't want to go into all the details here (unless you're interested?!) but I have thought about this a lot and it's not for me anymore. It isn't laziness - I've really enjoyed the food and am hardly missing carbs at all. It's mostly because I am tired of having bad breath all the time (!!) and partly because it is too restrictive on my social life (to the extent I am making myself a bit lonely by refusing invitations and never going out for drinks)

So I have decided to try a half-measure v low carb diet but with the aim of losing weight a bit slower. So, does this sound sensible to any of the long-termers amongst you:

Sticking to NO bread/pasta/starchy carbs or sugar, but will allow myself alcohol one day each week (not a binge, I'm not that big a drinker) Will keep up with 2 PP days each week, and stick to the 2 tbspns OB porridge breakfast. So really I'm just intending to stick to a lean protein and lots of salad and veggies diet.

So really, I'm asking if there is any particular advice you can think of - anything which any of you really found made you stall/gain when you went into Consolidation? I lost 7kg in the first month and don't want to put it back on

Any advice would be most welcome! I realise this isnt' quite the plan but I've found this forum really helpful and would like to stay on here for more help even if I'm not strictly 'Dukan'. I do think the diet has already changed my eating for the better already and that will stay with me

Thanks in advance!

I'm a beginner so can't give u any advice, I'd be interested to know the other reasons why you're quitting though if you don't mind sharing?

Hi Dr D says that if you want to stop to go to consolidation and follow that through. You may keep loosing some on consolidation as it seems that many do, including me, but mostly as you say, you want to keep off what you have already lost.

Good luck with whatever you decide for whatever reason.

If I'm reading you correctly, you really just want to do Dukan + one evening's alcohol?

I know some people over here who have opted, for various health reasons, never to PP and they PV happily every day, losing perhaps a little slower, but without the constant yoyoing of water weight. That I can understand.

But Dukan with alcohol is a strange one. Quite aside from the various reports on here from people who have drunk, and their experiences (feeling unwell, large weight gain), I guess I'm surprised that the one thing you're finding hardest to give up is alcohol! Still, each to his own.

Many on the Atkins page drink. Perhaps there will be gems of advice, rather, over there. Or maybe there'll be some confessions coming out over here.

I've no idea what to advise to be honest! (But I've seen on the Atkins page that vodka and diet coke is advocated rather than sugary wine)

Thanks all.

Joanne - it sounds odd because I'm not a big drinker, but I do find a lot of my social life in London does revolve around going for drinks, including lots of work events for my husband, dinners etc. I am happy to avoid most of the booze and always have been, but in the last month I have been on holiday, had 3 birthday events (um, for myself!) and have my first wedding anniversary in a fortnight. I'm not willing to go booze free at these as i'm sick and tired of discussing my diet with people, and it's inevitable that they ask. (and to be honest, they pressure you a lot! really boring but I am good at dealing with those and used to it)
I'm tired of it causing a problem that my husband can't order wine or choose a restaurant without my input - and it's leading to arguments.

Also, not to be too graphic but despite my constant mouthwashing, brushing, flossing I have bad breath from all the meat and it's bothering hubby too. I'm a newlywed and this is upsetting me greatly! Perhaps it's different for everyone? (I'm making him sound like a drunken tyrant here! - here's been really supportive throughout)

So those are the reasons. Must dash am now late for work through all my confessions...

Thanks for all your help. I will look on Atkins for advice but on here too!

If it's just the going out that bothers you, could you still go out but stick to diet coke or bottled water? That way you'd be getting the social effect you are missing but not piling on the pounds through alcohol.

I'm a newbie to all this so maybe that isn't feasible but you've done so well it would be a shame to lose it. x

edited to add: Ah we cross posted, I can see there is more to it than the wine etc. Hope you find the answers. x

Last edited:
I can understand ur reasons, alcohols going to be the hard bit for me too. Not a massive drinking but my social life does tend to revolve around it! Bars, clubs, restaurants even when having friends round the wine always makes an appearance. Luckily me and my bf are saving for our wedding ATM so have agreed not to go out as much, I do have both of our birthdays Xmas and new year to get thru before I hit target though :-/

If you stay on a low carb diet the bad breath will stay.
If you have some carbier veggies on pv days the losses may slow down but the ketosis will be lighter and the breath less of an issue.

Ive had a drink now and then on Dukan but not had the bad hangovers and gains, but it can send me off the rails after, I have low willpower at the best of times, much harder to say no when tipsy, and 1 drink on dukan is like having 5 when eating carbs.

I totally understand the alcohol thing, I have had the odd G&SlimlineT and I guess you're still young as you're a newlywed, I'm young also and I think for the older Dukaners they might find it easier to give up alcohol as most older married people tend to drink less often from what I see... As a younger person with an active social life it can be more difficult to do. Just my opinion of course!

I started Lipotrim earlier this year (a total food replacement diet) which is the strictest and harshest diet there is. I thought I might have problems not drinking my wine but I found the hardest was the not chewing actual food. Ok, I've put my social life on hold for 3.5 months whilst on the diet but it was so worth it! For me, losing 4st was so much more important than drinking my wine but it's everyone for themselves... not everyone has the same strongwilled mind to do what my hubby and I have done. I guess it comes down to this: stay off the booze for a little while and reach your true weight or drink. Wish you all the best with whatever diet you decide to follow.

I totally understand the alcohol thing, I have had the odd G&SlimlineT and I guess you're still young as you're a newlywed, I'm young also and I think for the older Dukaners they might find it easier to give up alcohol as most older married people tend to drink less often from what I see...

Sorry wkd, had to giggle at this... I am 'old(ish)' being in my early 40s :cry: and have been married for 20 years, but have drunk more in the last few years or so than in my entire life I think, certainly much more than when I was younger!

And the cause was specifically NOT having much of a social life due to being stuck at home with 4 children. Also boredom, and using alcohol because I 'deserved it' for being permanently knackered!

As a result I piled on weight and that's why I am here.

Anyway, I haven't had a sip since starting Dukan and I feel soooo much better for it. Agree completely with Mirjam, the enjoyment of being slimmer is much more than that I would get from a few drinks. So am happy to give it up until I am stabilised at my goal weight then can drink in moderation. :)

Oh really?! Well, I mean I wouldn't drink a lot anyway even when I do go out-out but most marrieds/older folks I know don't really bother! I would never sit and drink at home, I have a few when I go to the pub, it wouldn't even occur to me to have a drink at home and would never use it as a reward...but I guess it's different for different folks. I'm still losing even though I've had the odd drink, I'm in cruise now and just make sure I have a PV day before I'm going out and a PV day when I'm going out that night...
I don't have that much to lose though, maybe if I had multiple stones to lose I would feel that giving it up completely would make me lose more? I don't know!
Best of luck anyway October as whatever you choose is your choice! x

Oh really?! Well, I mean I wouldn't drink a lot anyway even when I do go out-out but most marrieds/older folks I know don't really bother! I would never sit and drink at home, I have a few when I go to the pub, it wouldn't even occur to me to have a drink at home and would never use it as a reward...but I guess it's different for different folks. I'm still losing even though I've had the odd drink, I'm in cruise now and just make sure I have a PV day before I'm going out and a PV day when I'm going out that night...
I don't have that much to lose though, maybe if I had multiple stones to lose I would feel that giving it up completely would make me lose more? I don't know!
Best of luck anyway October as whatever you choose is your choice! x

lol please come back in a few years and read that statement again !!! i think we all went out when younger but life changes ...
as for the alcohol issue you need some carbs to soak up the booze really , however if its just one or two drinks a week some people can get away wit it , if you get a raging hangover you know why , as for the bad breath i live on chewing gum !!

Wow, a lot of older married women getting annoyed with me...*slinks off into background to pour a G&T* ;)

Hi October!
You are so close to your target and you've been doing so well - I hate to see you go off. I go out a lot, by social life has been really hectic since I went on Dukan, but with all of my friends they have been so happy to see that I am succeeding at losing the weight they just want the secret, no condemnation and no peer pressure to have anything I don't choose to have. Most places you go you can find something to have that's not going to send you off - you're hubby shouldn't feel the need to check in with you on everything. Just send back food that you don't eat. For the bad breath, try upping your veggies and doing a higher ratio of veggies to protein on your PV days. I eat lots of dark green veggies and tomatoes on PV days and it seems to keep the breath in check - occasionally I'll pop a breath mint or gum on PP days, but the bad breath issue went away about week 5 for me.
I believe alcohol is a major sabotage to weight-loss, one of the things I included in my conso over the vacation was a half-glass of wine at dinner (we always had wine with dinner before I went on Dukan and when my mother-in-law was here she really wanted me to join her in her evening glass of wine) and I think it really messed up my body chemistry. If you aren't a big drinker anyways, just smile politely at those who ask you why you aren't drinking and say you don't feel like it, or wander about with a diet soda or sparkling water with citrus wedges. In my circles and as a newlywed the pregnancy rumors would start flying :)

I, too, am thinking of quitting or atleast taking a break. I'm so tired of the eye rolling and the dread when it comes to having to eat at restaurants. My husband could eat out every single day, and I get upset when I wish to save the money. He gets upset when I'm not enthusiastic about spending money and eating food I won't enjoy. Finding a restaurant that caters to the DD (in the US) anyway is difficult, and keeping it under budget. Steak is nice, and I've come to love eating steak, but it costs a good deal of money in Iowa. Anyway, I'm depressed and down, and I kind of know how you feel. I haven't been all that successful on the DD either and I suppose it's because of my lack of willpower and my struggle with the eye rolling and sighing I get from family members. My Mother in Law is a diet sabotoger and purposefully stocks up on foods she knows I have a hard time avoiding (like Peanut M&MS) and then proceeds to lecture me in front of the family like I'm an insolent child.
Anyway, I feel your pain. I wish I could encourage you or have words of advice, but I'm assuming I will pack on the pounds and sink even lower. :(

All the main diets - Dukan, WW, SW etc work. The key is finding one that you enjoy, that suits your lifestyle and most importantly, that you can stick to! Clearly Dukan does not suit your lifestyle and is making you unhappy. I think Dukan is a great plan and tried it but I travel extensively with my job and also have a very active social life. I came to the conclusion early on that I was highly unlikely to be able to stick with it longer term so switched to SW. I understand that I will not lose weight as quickly as with Dukan but it is more important to me to be happy and not to feel that my diet is ruling my life. It's horses for courses; quitting Dukan does not mean quitting dieting - you may just have to adjust your goals slightly. Good luck xx

I, too, am thinking of quitting or atleast taking a break. I'm so tired of the eye rolling and the dread when it comes to having to eat at restaurants. My husband could eat out every single day, and I get upset when I wish to save the money. He gets upset when I'm not enthusiastic about spending money and eating food I won't enjoy. Finding a restaurant that caters to the DD (in the US) anyway is difficult, and keeping it under budget. Steak is nice, and I've come to love eating steak, but it costs a good deal of money in Iowa. Anyway, I'm depressed and down, and I kind of know how you feel. I haven't been all that successful on the DD either and I suppose it's because of my lack of willpower and my struggle with the eye rolling and sighing I get from family members. My Mother in Law is a diet sabotoger and purposefully stocks up on foods she knows I have a hard time avoiding (like Peanut M&MS) and then proceeds to lecture me in front of the family like I'm an insolent child.
Anyway, I feel your pain. I wish I could encourage you or have words of advice, but I'm assuming I will pack on the pounds and sink even lower. :(

sb, I know how difficult it is to deal with all the comments and 'eye rolling' from others about being on a diet.

However, if you give up now, you are just playing right into the saboteours hands. They can then turn round and say 'I told you so! It was just another diet fad. She has no will-power.'

I know it is hard, but if I were you I would want to show them that I CAN do this, despite their negativity and efforts to knock you off course. You owe it to yourself.

Don't let them win. You are doing this for you, not them. You deserve to be what you want to be. If they want what is best for you they will keep their opinions to themselves and you REALLY need to tell them this. Tell them that if they can't support you, then they must keep their sighing, negative comments and tempting foods to themselves. You must make them see how important this is to you and that you need their support.

I know that is easier than it sounds but you sound so, so down. Going off the diet and piling on more weight is just going to make things a hundred times worse. Please, please, for your own sake, stick it out. Post on here as much as you can for support if you are still not getting it from your family.

You are stronger than you think you are -you just need to believe it. x

Back