Ive Failed Already

Sarah-Jayne

Gold Member
Oh god sake, i'm so annoyed with myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive just eaten cheese, leek and ham pasta in sauce and didnt even stop to think if it was suitable for vegetarians or not :( Turns out its not as it doesnt have the 'V' on the front of the packs :cry:

Feel really guilty now.

making a mistake is not failing. If it was then all of us would be hanging our heads in shame.Draw a line and start again-no need to beat yourself up. Yes its a shame but you'll get over it and learn from it- its the best way to learn.No more negative talk or I'll send you a boot to get you going!Good luck xx

Ingredients Pasta Whirls (81%) (Durum Wheat), Cheese Powder (4.5%), Wheat Flour, Creamer (Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Glucose Syrup Solids, Milk Proteins, Acidity Regulator (E340), Emulsifier (E471)), Yeast Extract, Flavourings, Salt, Flavour Enhancer (E621, E635), Dried Leek (0.5%), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Stabiliser (Pentasodium Triphosphate), Emulsifier (E339), Dried Garlic, Skimmed Milk Powder, Whey Powder, Vegetable Oil, Black Pepper Extract, Colour (Sulphite Ammonia Caramel).

Hmmm...I can't see any obvious hammy ingredient. It may be un-veggie due to the cheese powder or whey powder containing rennet (made from calfs' stomachs).

As a guide, you might want tostick to things with a V sign until it becomes second nature. Or maybe find time to make your own stuff? Who wants "dried leek (0.5%)" when you could have a big, juicy, fresh leek. There are lots of SW favourites that are not veggie such as mullerlites and options.

This is a great site for into https://www.vegsoc.org/

Good luck!

It says "cheese, leek and ham flavour" on the pack - which means that it doesn't need to have cheese, leek or ham in it at all!!!

I thought the word "ham" might have given you a clue. Sorry SJ, but you just made me laugh out loud :D My bad.

Better luck next dinner :) x

Made me smile too............

It says "cheese, leek and ham flavour" on the pack - which means that it doesn't need to have cheese, leek or ham in it at all!!!

Well spotted AnnaFaraday. Scary stuff though !!

Sarah Jayne, just plod on looks to me that you need to forgive yourself and just be a bit vigilant when buying.

My sister has been a vegetarian for 35 years and still checks things just in case !!

My veggie mate loves bacon sarnies!

He still classes himself as veggie as he never eats beef, steak, liver, lamb or pork. To be honest, bacon sarnies are possibly the only reason I can think of for not going veggie.

Hmmm...I can't see any obvious hammy ingredient. It may be un-veggie due to the cheese powder or whey powder containing rennet (made from calfs' stomachs).

As a guide, you might want tostick to things with a V sign until it becomes second nature. Or maybe find time to make your own stuff? Who wants "dried leek (0.5%)" when you could have a big, juicy, fresh leek. There are lots of SW favourites that are not veggie such as mullerlites and options.

This is a great site for into https://www.vegsoc.org/

Good luck!

calves stomachs?..yuk:(

I've been veggie for 20 years and I accidentally ate ham in a chopped up salad in shanghai a couple of years ago - the waiter assured me it was vegetarian, language barrier did not help!! It was all creamy in mayo, and thought I'd checked the red looking bits to be tomato and ate it but did not taste right - colleague tasted it and yep was ham!! Although was a bit teary about it, there's nothing you can do, really don't worry about it!

Another poster is right, it's most likely the cheese! Just make sure it's got a V if it's something cheesy like that, I know it's difficult! Xx

Bless you but it was one mistake don't beat yourself up about it.
My sister has been a veggie for about ten years then on Christmas day wrestled her boyfriend so she could eat his bacon sandwich.

Maximus said:
My veggie mate loves bacon sarnies!

He still classes himself as veggie as he never eats beef, steak, liver, lamb or pork. To be honest, bacon sarnies are possibly the only reason I can think of for not going veggie.

Your veggie mate does know that bacon comes from pigs yes???

Can't imagine being a veggie myself as i love fish, chicken & bacon!!

Your veggie mate does know that bacon comes from pigs yes???

Can't imagine being a veggie myself as i love fish, chicken & bacon!!

Oh aye, he knows that, but his idea of "proper meat" is steak, a roast beef joint, a leg of lamb or pork roast etc. Selective vegetarianism lol.

Mind you, for years I thought mushrooms were meat as they came with mixed grill, steaks, liver etc.:eek:

Back