January blues...

Josiecat

Silver Member
Anyone else got them?

They have really hit me today. I think the combination of being back to work and miserable cold weather are the main reasons.

I am a teacher and I think I realised over Christmas that I hate my job. It is so stressful and I am fairly new to the school and it isn't particularly friendly plus I am in a teaching block all on my own so rarely see another adult!

I had such a bee in my bonnet that I was wasting my secondary teaching qualification that I left my lower paid adult tutoring job a few months ago to work in a secondary school and was attracted by the money, holidays and 3pm finishes but I regret leaving my old job so much now and have realised that money and having the holidays off really doesn't make it worth it at all. :sigh:

I am normally such a happy personl grrr. Sorry needed to vent. Please share the reasons why you are blue too if you want xx

Aww, big hugs!! :bighug:

Strangely despite today being my first day back at work and Weigh In (expecting a big gain), I'm feeling rather positive. I'm looking forward to getting back on plan 100% tomorrow and having something to focus on and take my mind off any worries/stress etc.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to rub it in - I'm really not I just wanted to send some positive vibes your way :vibes: Thinking of you xx

Good luck for weight in, hopefully it won't be too much of a shock but it is easy to lose it again. I always find the enjoyment of food at Christmas allows me to be much more focused in the new year :D I gained 6 pounds over Christmas.

Once these pesky winter months are gone I'll be happy, I always find nothing seems to matter when we have warmer weather and light evenings! I remember sunbathing with my new slimmed down body last Easter. lol if only I'd kept it off :p:p

Hey,
Thought I would share my January blues! (ie Rant!)
I currently work in London and live in Brighton. I have commuted for nearly five years and started doing so as local wages in my industry were appauling compared to those inside the M25. In November the local office of my company approached me saying they had a position going and they wanted me to transfer, on the same wage! to a office 5 minutes walk from my house instead of the hour plus train journey. Meaning I could earn the same but not suffer the £3k+ train fare! So I obviously accepted, went to an interview, they were happy and said they wanted me and just needed to sort it with HR. This obviously involved them telling my current office that I wanted to leave. So... Awkwardness ensued as they were "Sorting it out with HR". This went on for two months over Xmas as I was grilled over why I wanted to leave etc.
I came back yesterday to be told there was a mistake and they didnt have the budget to employ anyone new in that office. So I have pretty much made my management think I am unhappy and looking to leave without actually gaining anything out of it!
I'm so Angry!
So yeah, happy 2012 so far!
I'm trying to be as positive as I can but at the moment heading into work is getting harder by the day. Surely people should understand if you are approached to do the same job, for the same company, closer to your home for a better wage you are going to accept? So why are my current managers treating me so badly since? GRRRR!
Sorry Rant over!
So despite a bad start, I figure things can only get better from here. ^_^

Oh no Mark that's terrible, of course anyone I think anyone would swap employers to be closer to home so surely your employer should understand that?! 3k a year travel is huge :eek:

I have been looking for education jobs outside secondary school teaching and it is awkward because in education they tend to insist on getting employer references before interview which makes it uncomfortable for me when my head of department gets requests!

I hope things look up for you this year :)

BrightonMark said:
Hey,
Thought I would share my January blues! (ie Rant!)
I currently work in London and live in Brighton. I have commuted for nearly five years and started doing so as local wages in my industry were appauling compared to those inside the M25. In November the local office of my company approached me saying they had a position going and they wanted me to transfer, on the same wage! to a office 5 minutes walk from my house instead of the hour plus train journey. Meaning I could earn the same but not suffer the £3k+ train fare! So I obviously accepted, went to an interview, they were happy and said they wanted me and just needed to sort it with HR. This obviously involved them telling my current office that I wanted to leave. So... Awkwardness ensued as they were "Sorting it out with HR". This went on for two months over Xmas as I was grilled over why I wanted to leave etc.
I came back yesterday to be told there was a mistake and they didnt have the budget to employ anyone new in that office. So I have pretty much made my management think I am unhappy and looking to leave without actually gaining anything out of it!
I'm so Angry!
So yeah, happy 2012 so far!
I'm trying to be as positive as I can but at the moment heading into work is getting harder by the day. Surely people should understand if you are approached to do the same job, for the same company, closer to your home for a better wage you are going to accept? So why are my current managers treating me so badly since? GRRRR!
Sorry Rant over!
So despite a bad start, I figure things can only get better from here. ^_^

I love the fact that they probably claim to not 'mistreat staff' for speaking out or applying for jobs internally.... I know my companies does that.

I admire the fact you travel from Brighton into London - what do you do ? If you don't mind me asking?

I would've done exactly same as you babes and it's wrong that theyshould now make you feel unhappy and mistreated

Xxxx

No January blues but I'm sick to death of feeling ill!
Last October, yes October I got a cold...with a massive crop of coldsores (11!) given Acyclovir, coldsores cleared, cold worsened and I got Sinusitis, given antibiotics, three days after finishing course I felt bad again and tonsils swelled up, went to Walk in centre given more Anti-bs for tonsillitis was fine after a couple of days..then finished the course and two days later feel dreadful again, severe cattarrh swollen glands, one tonsil the size of a fist. Throat so sore I can hardly bear to talk! In all this time I've been much deafer than usual, now I can't even use the phone, my hearing aids aren't really helping.
So I am feeling deeply depressed worried that I will get Quinsy like last year but cannot see the point of more pills!

Anyone else got them?

They have really hit me today. I think the combination of being back to work and miserable cold weather are the main reasons.

I am a teacher and I think I realised over Christmas that I hate my job. It is so stressful and I am fairly new to the school and it isn't particularly friendly plus I am in a teaching block all on my own so rarely see another adult!

I had such a bee in my bonnet that I was wasting my secondary teaching qualification that I left my lower paid adult tutoring job a few months ago to work in a secondary school and was attracted by the money, holidays and 3pm finishes but I regret leaving my old job so much now and have realised that money and having the holidays off really doesn't make it worth it at all. :sigh:

I am normally such a happy personl grrr. Sorry needed to vent. Please share the reasons why you are blue too if you want xx

A few years ago I took another job for more money, but it was awful the person I worked for worked 24/7 & expected me to do the same, she was rude, disorganised & shouted at me. I left after 6 months (with no job to go to) but felt it would look better on my CV & to admit why I left than being made to leave.

But I don't generally get down I'm a positive happy person & even though I was made redundant before Christmas this hasn't changed my view on life/weather/OH:rolleyes:(he's wrong way out at mo)/potential lack of funds. I've so much to look forward to, my DS left home on Monday, DD leaves this weekend so its just me & grumpy pants, I've two holidays booked & another in the planning stages, I had a positive job interview today & a telephone interview booked for tomorrow, so life isn't that bad.

AND I'm going to have a Jack Daniels in a mo:D

The best way to beat the january blues is work as much as you can in the lead up to Christmas, work a bit between then and new year and then get straight back into as soon as possible.

I think the more you sit around, the longer the break is from your normal routine, the more you despise going back to it! :)

january blues

I find alovely bubble bath and bit of pampering helps! january not easy . try to have something to look forward to each day, little things can make a difference and lift your mood. good luck!!

The best way to beat the january blues is work as much as you can in the lead up to Christmas, work a bit between then and new year and then get straight back into as soon as possible.

I think the more you sit around, the longer the break is from your normal routine, the more you despise going back to it! :)

Unfortunately being a teacher I have no choice but to have a long break lol :rolleyes:

Hi Josiecat,

I too have the January blues. Ironically because I am a secondary teacher who isn't employed at the moment and there is no supply work. I know how hard it is when you start a new job and staff at some schools can be quite distant at first. Do try and get to the staffroom at lunchtime; my subject's music so I know how easy it is to get isolated especially if you spend all your breaks and lunchtimes doing stuff with the kids. There will be people on the staff you will click with - it just takes time. I left full time teaching 6 years ago and have had quite a few long term temporary posts but haven't managed to get another permanent full time post and I am so sick of being on and off the dole and constantly having the worry of losing my house looming over me. I've worked at some lovely schools and some awful ones. If you possibly can stick it out - do. It will get better and you can look for other posts. It's always seemed to be easier to get another job when you're in post than not.

I've been back on plan for 3 days, and my OH is 3 days into quitting smoking; we're a couple of miserable so and sos! Am really suffering the sugar withdrawal from all the rubbish I ate over Christmas and new Year lol!

Hope you feel better soon - the dark days and long nights really don't help xxx

No January blues but I'm sick to death of feeling ill!
Last October, yes October I got a cold...with a massive crop of coldsores (11!) given Acyclovir, coldsores cleared, cold worsened and I got Sinusitis, given antibiotics, three days after finishing course I felt bad again and tonsils swelled up, went to Walk in centre given more Anti-bs for tonsillitis was fine after a couple of days..then finished the course and two days later feel dreadful again, severe cattarrh swollen glands, one tonsil the size of a fist. Throat so sore I can hardly bear to talk! In all this time I've been much deafer than usual, now I can't even use the phone, my hearing aids aren't really helping.
So I am feeling deeply depressed worried that I will get Quinsy like last year but cannot see the point of more pills!

You poor thing Shirleen. Hope you're much better soon. xxx

Hi Becky, thanks for your support and advice. I find the staffroom quite a daunting place at lunchtime, not many teaching staff go there. It tends to be the ta's and they are very close knit and hard to talk to.

I know what you mean about a lack of supply and teaching jobs in general. My current contract is only for this academic yr and hardly any jobs come up in my subject. Loads of my teaching friends are unemployed with no supply at all. I worry about money after July to pay my mortgage which is adding to my stress. I have posted my cv about and had some recruiters call me about education jobs mainly with private companies but some have been so rude, it just adds to the stress.

Hopefully in the coming months the teaching jobs will start appearing. Shame you aren't in the south west, I have seen lots of music jobs advertised-mainly maternity covers but two were readvertised so I assume they had no applicants.

Well, I'm going to be a little ray of sunshine! - having been off sick over Christmas, I returned to work on Tuesday. I am delighted to be back, delighted to be allowed to drive again, and over the moon that I can walk unaided on my two feet ater damaging calf muscle, knee and ankle ligaments.

I never realised how great the seemingly mundane and humdrum can be - until it is taken away from you.

Think on folks;)

Steve

Going to join in with my blues too if i can :)

I got back from a 3 week hol on the 19th dec, visiting family in South Africa. which was amazing, then had my dads 60th and christmas in quick succession. but then it went a bit sour.
back in work and we have a new system (for which i missed all the training, being on hol) which im still trying to get to grips with, whilst being piled with targets etc. we've had a bereavement in the family. and i found out today my uncle is in hospital. so not the best start to the year.

i went from a very good mood and feeling to holiday blues, winter blues, january blues!
But hey hopefully not for long going to get back on plan and maybe eating less crap will have a knock on effect.
heres hoping everyone perks up soon and that the blues fade, its crap when you feel down, but josiecat your right went you need to vent, you need to vent, and keep your chin up huni, things will all work out :)

Maj xx

Back