Jess' Journey

That's interesting about the wrap-I'm not big on bread myself, I'd definitely prefer a wrap if it's allowed.

Wraps are absolutely fine, Teasey - as long as they weigh the same as your bread allowance and are wholemeal. Gives a bit more variety. Same goes for wholemeal pitta breads.

Are the sizes different in Europe and America? If so I had no clue!

Great job on the loss! :D

Thank you! Yes, sizes are different (unfortunately for me and the charity to which I donate my clothes... they get utterly confused!).

Generally, its about a 2 size difference (that's the rule) but it varies of course by designer. So, I used to be a 14/16 US and in the UK I wore 18's mostly (though some dresses/tops were snug even!). Now, I'm a firm comfortable 16 UK and that's about a 12 in the US (and I've confirmed with the 2 things I happened to have that were a 12 :)).

Well, you were all right about hubby. Poor thing was gutted this a.m. when he weighed 5lbs heavier than Friday! He of course has just been skipping meals/eating my tea and that's how he lost initially.

It made me nervous to get on scale, but I was down another .6lb (didn't say anything to DH as I didn't want to make him feel worse). I couldn't believe it as I've consumed more calories since Friday than I have in a while. That's over 3lbs in less than a week (tho I was on TOTM last week). Still pleased :) Asked DH what he wanted for tea and he's like "Prawn Soup!" - that's my super low calorie/low carb/no fat meal. I think he'll miss me being on Cruise more than anything!

Aw, poor hubby. You know how it feels though, kind of you to keep your weightloss quiet (except here of course!) from him.

And I did not know that about the dress sizes. Interesting! So when folks on here are saying "I'm wearing a size 14!" they mean 10 for US. Okay! :D

Yes, I had a hard time saying I wore an 18 at first because I had been so proud years ago when I first starting wearing a 14 (in US)... felt like a few steps back :(

Conso is going well, but I'm being VERY cautious... kind of half-Conso. Ate half my bread yesterday and even shared a small apple with my daughter rather than eat it all myself. The best bit though is really not worrying so much about carbs (from yogurt & veg).

I'm planning on my 1st pasta tonight before Step class (will post a q' to board) and I'm having mixed feelings. Its so funny how hard it is to make small changes because you truly do get into the "habit" of eating the Dukan way. I guess that's a good thing :)

"point of no return"

Yes! That's it - until I read that phrase in your diary I hadn't realised why conso is so strange.

It's because I've had to say "this is the weight I want to stay" - and that is hard to do, because our conditioning - in years of growing up and adult hood - is never to be content at the weight we are now.

After 40+ years - it's a alien concept!

I get to this part of the thread and realise I have a big grin plastered on my face (my officemates will think I've lost the plot! I've been a misery guts of late!!). Your happiness and enthusiasm is so contagious. It's fabulous to read!

Keep posting! Those of us too scared to do what you are doing might even cling on to you when they jump in!

Rant Day

Okay, its been over a week since I've had a major rant, so think I'm due one :p!

I'm just getting SO FED UP with the scales not moving! I know I'm in Conso now, but I enter my food (and I mean every single morsel that passes my lips) into MyFitnessPal every day. In about three weeks, I've barely crept above 1200 calories (with the exception of one day). On top of that, I exercise SIX DAYS a week - and I'm not talking lite, barely breaking a sweat exercise - I'm meaning very strenuous, out of breath, dripping in sweat, totally going for it exercise. And how much have I lost?? Barely a blip! Only movement has been to shift my TOTM month and I'm annoyed. Every day for the past 5 weeks MyFitnessPal.com has said "If every day were like today... You'd weigh 172.8 lbs in 5 weeks" - guess what??? I don't weigh 172lbs! Still stuck at 185 (which ironically is the lowest my body has ever weighed since I've been about 12.)

Starting to think this "calories in, calories out" line is absolute rubbish. :mad:

Okay... rant over.

I know how you feel Jess - feel free to rant. I never cheat and this morning I was 3 lbs up on yesterday, having sts last week!!! I suppose the only saving grace for me is that I haven't been doing lots of strenuous exercise :)

Calories in - Calories out is rubbish.

Because a.) Calories are not equal (this is why 100 cal of Fructose will make you "fatter" than 100 cal of Chicken)

But Jess - why are you ranting against something that is working exactly as it promised it would.

The promise of Cruise is that if you followed it, you would lose weight. And you did.

The promise of Conso is that you will stop losing weight - and you have.

Why would you believe Dukan two weeks ago - and disbelieve Dukan now?

If you want to continue losing weight - then go back to cruise...

Ah yes, had forgotten you had moved onto conso! Maybe you don't eat enough with all that exercise? Me? I think I have just screwed up my metabolism in the dim distant past :-( - but cruise seems more like a way of life to me now. Although I am losing very slowly, I am losing, where other methods have failed.

...But Jess - why are you ranting against something that is working exactly as it promised it would.

The promise of Cruise is that if you followed it, you would lose weight. And you did.

The promise of Conso is that you will stop losing weight - and you have.

Why would you believe Dukan two weeks ago - and disbelieve Dukan now?

If you want to continue losing weight - then go back to cruise...

Its not Dukan that I disbelieve - its the mantra that if you just take in less calories than you expel, then you will lose weight... maybe its my 39 years causing delay! But to be fair, I did STS for two weeks on Dukan Cruise and thus the move to Conso - I felt I was expending too much effort with too little reward. I believe though that this was a good plan and didn't want to lose motivation, nor slip-up, and so I moved to Conso. But again, forgetting all that - its only been 4 days on Conso of which 1 was a PP and 2 near-PVs as I'm still struggling thinking its okay to have any carbs. In my mind, I still have a huge deficit to make up from the STS end of Cruise (at least 3lbs) but don't think going back is the right decision - if I STS there again, then I'll completely lose the plot!

Oh well.

Last edited:
Be careful with sticking at such a low calorie total per day, Jess. In fact, that could be part of the problem. At my height (and I'm only 5' 2" with a tiny bone structure), myfitnesspal rightly warns me that an intake of less than 1200 calories can put your body into "starvation mode", thus using calories much more efficiently. The fact that you're exercising very rigorously also would mean that your body could be desperately trying to wring every last drop out of every calorie you eat in order to try to keep up with the demand for energy. In other words, keeping at such a low level of calories, especially in combination with lots of exercise, might actually be working against you.

If I were you, I'd leap right on into Conso properly right now and see what happens. Otherwise, if you keep the calories so low, you might find it very difficult indeed to re-introduce "proper" eating without putting on weight.

I may be wrong on this, but it's definitely something to be wary of.

I think Dukandebut is on the money on "starvation mode" - you are sending contradictory signals to your body by combining two very different modes of eating.

Are you also bearing in mind that muscle weighs more than fat? If you are exercising that hard you may simply have lost 3 lbs of fat and gained 3lbs of muscle tissue (this is what happened when I took up Aquaaerobics last year - the scales shot up and the hips shrank!)

Thanks for the feedback. I've given thought to the "starvation-mode" as well... I actually made a plan today to up my calories (if just to see what happens). Today is the only day in which I don't do Step or Zumba (just Yoga in the a.m).

My mind also reminds me of the muscle vs. fat understanding, but its still disheartening. I wish I could equate it to something... like - okay, I'm losing about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off my waist each week - that equals XX in weight loss if I wasn't exercising. Would just give me more impact, if you know what I mean.

I'll get over it and I won't let it get me off track.

Are you seeing any difference with the tape measure, Jess? I know that I often did, even when the scales stayed the same. It definitely does help with motivation.

Oh yes, definitely. That's been my one saving grace these last weeks. I'm down about an inch around my waist in the same time that my weight has barely moved. Inches are off hips and thighs as well. So, yes, its encouraging, but you know how conditioned we all are to look at the number on the scale!! ;)

Back