Jess' Journey

Stop looking at the scales - get yourself a board and write in your measurements everyday instead!

So - in fact, you didn't stall in cruise at all - you were still losing that 3 lbs of fat, but gained some nice, healthy, trim lean muscle instead!

Jess don't get disheartened. It's so true what you say - we are totally conditioned to look at the scales and believe what they say - but they only tell half of the picture. I've a quote from an old teacher which I've posted before that I believe 100% and I think really applies here

Nobody can see what you see when you step on the scales but everyone can see what you see when you look in the mirror

You're the only person who knows what your scales say every morning (plus us on here if you tell us!) But what your friends and family are all seeing is a slimmer and hotter version of Jess!!

And, more importantly, you're fitter. You exercise regularly and reading back over your diary you seem to be enjoying that more. You've given yourself a gift of a healthy, active and fit body. So give that body the fuel it needs to allow you to keep on enjoying your active lifestyle and make friends with the tape measure rather than the scales - I find it's a more loyal and supportive friend and I get the feeling you will too ;)

This totally reminds me of what the personal trainer on this programme in currently hooked in said (I used to be fat, on MTV)

'I don't care about the scales, just look at her smile!'

:)

Jess don't get disheartened. It's so true what you say - we are totally conditioned to look at the scales and believe what they say - but they only tell half of the picture. I've a quote from an old teacher which I've posted before that I believe 100% and I think really applies here

Nobody can see what you see when you step on the scales but everyone can see what you see when you look in the mirror

You're the only person who knows what your scales say every morning (plus us on here if you tell us!) But what your friends and family are all seeing is a slimmer and hotter version of Jess!!

And, more importantly, you're fitter. You exercise regularly and reading back over your diary you seem to be enjoying that more. You've given yourself a gift of a healthy, active and fit body. So give that body the fuel it needs to allow you to keep on enjoying your active lifestyle and make friends with the tape measure rather than the scales - I find it's a more loyal and supportive friend and I get the feeling you will too ;)

Brilliant post, Teasey. You are so right! :D

One week Conso down!

Thanks so much guys and thank you Teasey for the lovely words of encouragement!!

I haven't been on at all this weekend and it was super-crazy busy. I had some interesting challenges and revelations.

As you know, I'm on Cruise now. This weekend was my 1st "gala meal". I was lucky in that I had a dinner party and since I was cooking, I knew exactly what I was going to eat and what was in each dish (and for the most part, it was fairly healthy with the exception of baked ravioli canape and tiramisu pudding). I did very well and ate very little portion sizes but allowed a bite of most things.

What I found though is that being on Conso is really a GREAT transition period. It allows you certain freedoms to eat "naughty" things, but because of the strict guidelines you don't go too crazy. As I was so busy, I wasn't perfect Conso (I had an extra 90g portion of wholegrain pasta last week) as its easy to slip back into ways of justifying being allowed to eat things you really shouldn't (like "I didn't have bread or cheese today, so I can have that pasta", etc.). It really makes me think very hard about the food choices I'm making it and I love it.

My weight has STS this week (even today!) and I'm pleased with that as the fear is there that the lbs will pile on the minute you start eating carbs again.

I am thinking of maybe doing a Conso-Cruise type regimen for the next 4 weeks until I go on holiday... not sure if it will mess with my metabolism though, so we'll see. I love the freedom and variety of Conso, but can be satisfied with 4 days of it a week only. Am thinking of doing PP for 3 days midweek and then Conso the rest. If anything, it will zigzag my calories which seems to do some good to my progress.

Have a great week guys!

Good to hear from you, Jess. That STS should definitely help to give you a bit of confidence. I remember how worried I was about gaining all of the weight back as soon as I so much as looked at a plate of pasta!

I agree about Conso being so great because of the added freedom whilst still enjoying the safety net of the guidelines. That's where Stab scares me - the guidelines are so much less distinct.

Anyway, you're sounding much happier and more confident again, which is fantastic to read. :)

I love the freedom and variety of Conso, but can be satisfied with 4 days of it a week only. Am thinking of doing PP for 3 days midweek and then Conso the rest. If anything, it will zigzag my calories which seems to do some good to my progress.

I enjoyed catching up on your diary and your happiness is infectious. The only thing I worry about is doing 3 PPs midweek, each week, then continuing Conso. This will bring you into and out of ketosis with alarming regularity which really isn't good for your health (or metabolism). Perhaps work on low calorie (or even Judd) principles for 3 days rather, and not necessarily consecutively.

I enjoyed catching up on your diary and your happiness is infectious. The only thing I worry about is doing 3 PPs midweek, each week, then continuing Conso. This will bring you into and out of ketosis with alarming regularity which really isn't good for your health (or metabolism). Perhaps work on low calorie (or even Judd) principles for 3 days rather, and not necessarily consecutively.

Thanks Jo - I knew there was probably a good reason that my plan wouldn't work, but I couldn't work it out. I didn't think of the Ketosis thing as it took me ages to get into it to start. But I think doing 2-3 PV plus the obliged PP day would likely make more sense. Thanks so much for the guidance.

PS - what's Judd??

Hello there - I'd be interested in seeing what you're eating! Those of us a bit scared of dipping our big toes into consolidation eagerly await such things!

(The Judd diet has a forum on this board - it's where one alternates VERY low (ugh!) calorie days with "NORMAL" (whatever they are) days...) when I said "perhaps using Judd principles", I meant that if you'd decided you weren't going to have bread + cheese + fruit each day, fair enough. You could perhaps alternate days but still have veg six days a week cos even I'm working up to that!

Good luck! Keep us nosey scared ones informed!

Just popping on quickly to let you all know that I'm still around :) Had a great end to last week as I reached Friday with a nice bump off my plateau! I'm not posting updated weight yet... being on Conso and all, I just want to ensure its "real!"

Surprised hubby on his birthday last week with a weekend away in London which was absolutely fabulous. My gala meal was tremendous - Petrus (Ramsay) and although all the courses were extremely rich, they were very small! No sweets at all though - and stuck pretty much as well as I could. Brought my oatbran cupcakes and a bag-o-meat so I had snacking food. I ate "no-carb" all the rest of the weekend except Friday when I used my carb portion for the week on Sushi. It wasn't perfect Dukan-conso as lord knows how some of the meats were cooked, but it was as good as I could manage travelling.

I'm away all this week as well for work (Prague) so food should be difficult again. Brought more cupcakes and meat, but will have several work meals out (in fact, nearly every meal will be a work thing). Again, think I'll stick low-carb to minimise the damage. I've got a Moms' night out on Friday so I'm saving this week's gala meal for that.

I exercised loads last week and although didn't over weekend in London, I walked MILES! I brought my workout gear to work at fitness centre in Prague, so that's good, I hope.

Hopefully, I'll be back on Friday posting with "confirmed" good news!

Have a great week all!

PS - can't believe I almost forgot!!!!
We did quite a bit of shopping and I cannot believe it, but I'm wearing a size 14 trouser!!! Amazing. Thought it was a fluke, but after the 10th pair, I realised, no... you fit in these now. Nearly every item I tried in 14 fit. I even splurged on a new pair of designer jeans (altho they were stretchy) in size 14. Cannot believe it. Was super-chuffed :)!!!

And that's a UK 14 (so 10's in America.) Wow - seems unreal even writing it, but here I sit in airport in a pair of 14 Hobbs work trousers. Pretty cool.

Congrats! The Gala souund fab, and so do those trousers!

Weekly check-in! Nothing too exciting (Conso is thankfully very normal and so I've needed a lot less support.) Still lurking a bit though. I've been doing "conso-ish" and digging it. I haven't gone wild and its paid off! I'm down over 3lbs since starting Conso so that's just over a lb a week. I'm loving it.

I'm firmly in a 14 (even bought some 12 tops) but I'm working out loads so that's really why I'm not concerned as much about scales as before. Case in point... my waist is almost 4 inches less than on my wedding day but I'm only just 10lbs lighter (total loss on waist is 6.5 inches!)

I am so pleased with overall results and ease of Conso that I'm seriously revisiting Cruise for 4-6 weeks in August (after all my holidays and events). August is pretty quiet just now and it would be a great opportunity to just push towards these last few pounds before December. Will let you know.

Best of luck to all!!

Well done Jess. You're doing brilliantly!

Back