Jim 1: Channel 0. Now for the return match!

Thanks, Minxster. But "Bum". It obviously hasn't updated for today's significant effort.

I repeat you are a star and a star with stamina at that................keep going land will soon be in sight.

Morning, World.

Another 72 lengths conquered this morning.
And for the first time, I did the entire swim in front crawl. No refreshing breaks for back stroke or breast stroke. Now I need to increase my pace, and the distance I can keep that going.
I WILL be fit....

AND:

I've been giving some thought to my distances for next week, because

[Ta-Daa!]

I should arrive in France some time round about Friday!!!

The trouble is, I need to end my day's swim when I hit France. I can't just carry on swimming, so that I got there and started back within the same swim. That would be just wrong!
I need to arrive in France, to end that day's swim there, and go out and get pain au chocolat for breakfast. (And boy am I looking forward to that!)

But if I swam next week at approximately the rate I have this week & last, I'd be about in the middle of Friday's swim when I touched ground at Cap Griz Nez.

So I need either to increase my swims next week, and arrive on Thursday, or give myself a slightly more relaxing week, and arrive on Friday.

Either day would be a good day for it, in a way:
If I got there on Thursday, it would be exactly half way through Lent, which would suggest that, contrary to all expectations (or certainly to my expectations when I started this) it might actually be feasible to get all the way back too.
On the other hand, Friday is the 1st of April, and that would seem a Auspicious Occasion on which to complete such a Foolish Enterprise!

[ETA: I've just thought of something else. Thursday is pay day. And several people at work have said they will sponsor me, but haven't done so yet: and that seems a really good day to send out an email to my colleagues, and remind them of my jolly old Just Giving page, or my paper sponsor form, (which I'm carrying around with me at all times!).
Would it be better if, on that email, I could say I'd already made it that day? Or that I was likely to make it the next? I'm not sure, but possibly the latter. What do you think?]

So, once again, "I dunno".

I think it probably hinges on tomorrow/Sunday (whichever weekend day I swim. I don't do both: I need one rest day!). Theoretically, my weekend swims are not as time pressured as the ones during the week, and therefore there is the potential for a really good long session. But something always seems to crop up! (Not something that actually stops me swimming, but something that squeezes my time frame.)
So, I think if I can get closer to 2 miles at the weekend, I'll go all out for getting to France on Thursday.
If circumstances dictate that I can't, then I'll have to keep the other days down a bit next week, and I'll get there on Friday.

But either way, unless disaster of some sort intervenes, I will have swum to France by the end of next week!!!

There would have to be a major intervention of misfortune for me not to achieve the target I set myself. And a serious possibility that I might be able to double it, and actually swim the entire round trip.

Blimey!!!

Last edited:
Im blaming it on the thought of the patisserie.

Lol !!!!

Loved reading through this and I think I will have a pan o chocolate with you when you get there!! :)

That makes three of us meeting in Calais.!!

shark.gif
swim Sarah, swim. I think you might make it by Wednesday now. I hope you don't mind me ordering this aid to a speedy finish.
shark.gif

I really don't think it will be Wednesday, Sue.
My poor little leggies (and armies) are having to go nineteen to the dozen as it is!

But I've decided to try for Thursday - see if I can get enough done tomorrow to make it a realistic possibility.

You might have to book your trip to Calais at the very last minute, though, just in case I have to change the day!

I really don't think it will be Wednesday, Sue.
My poor little leggies (and armies) are having to go nineteen to the dozen as it is!

But I've decided to try for Thursday - see if I can get enough done tomorrow to make it a realistic possibility.

You might have to book your trip to Calais at the very last minute, though, just in case I have to change the day!

No problem. I will just get there Wednesday and chill somewhere with a touch of luxury that does a pain o chocolat on their breakfast menu.

http://rkhooks.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/painauchoc.jpg

http://rkhooks.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/painauchoc1.jpg

Oh do enjoy !!!!!

(And Steve, I checked the timings:
2.5 km in 67 minutes, so averaging 2.239 km/hr.
Or 1.3911 miles/hr.
Or 1 mile in 43.13 minutes. Ok?)

!

Gosh! Sarah!

Well done! - that is quite astonishing - especially as an "average" speed. Some people can't even walk that far, or even attempt to! - not only that, but some people walk that slowly too!

You must be pleased with that effort, and surely feeling and seeing the benefits?

Keep that going - that imresses me much!

Steve

No problem. I will just get there Wednesday and chill somewhere with a touch of luxury that does a pain o chocolat on their breakfast menu.

Oh do enjoy !!!!!

DROOL!!!!!

Just done 2 miles in one go.
128 lengths.
Bleurggh.
If I'm not clinically dead, I'm as close to it as makes no odds.

So I really should make it to France on Thursday now!

If I wasn't so tired I might manage a Wooooooooooooo hoooooooooo.
But I am. So I can't.

... and today is my DAY OFF!

Now I can Woooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooo!

(Cos yesterday was quite an achievement. But I'm very glad of a rest today.)

I'm covered in Goose Grease, and the cap isn't Union Jack - but it is quite colourful. So I'm not sure if it's me you can see.

Hang on - I'm waving now: can you see me?

Well it was quite a tired wave. But I'm still afloat. Just.

88 lengths this morning: that was quite a struggle.
In fact, I think it was 88. I kept losing count, cos my mind was wandering, tiredly! It could have been anything from 88 to 94. But I'm not prepared to get there under false pretences, so I'm going for the lowest figure.

So long as I can drag myself out of bed and into that pool for 3 more days in a row, I WILL be there on Thursday!

So: Sue - you can book your trip now. I'll see you there!
And Leapfrog, get a welcoming warm towel ready, please - and point me in the direction of your best pains au chocolat, croissants au beurre, and tasses de thé.

That's breakfast sorted. What shall I have for my French lunch?

And Leapfrog, get a welcoming warm towel ready, please - and point me in the direction of your best pains au chocolat, croissants au beurre, and tasses de thé.

That's breakfast sorted. What shall I have for my French lunch?
Best fluffy white towel warming by the fire. As for lunch, it has to be a steack frîtes, even though they can't spell steak lol. Unless you're vegetarian, in which case I think the French do the best omlettes.

Beautiful weather here today, by the way

No can do. I've given up meat for Lent.
Otherwise it would always have been poulet frîtes for me. Preferably à l'ail.
Or steack frîtes, sauce aux poivrons.

I knew it was a bad idea to do this during Lent! So I'll be fine for my breakfast - pâtisseries all the way - but lunch will be a problem, because although I can recognise the brilliance of their omelettes, I don't actually like eggs.
So, soupe à l'oignon, ou peut-être vichyssoise, pissaladière, salade au chèvre...

It's all making my mouth water!

you are doing so amazingly well!! very proud of you mrs!
wow very nearly at france and very nearly at target.....you are giving us lots of reason for celebrations!

I hope so, Mrs Rick Lover.

Celebrations are certainly long-awaited at this end, and much will be the rejoicing thereat.

But I think it'll be France long before target. Unfortunately.

Back