Jim 1: Channel 0. Now for the return match!

See you Thursday.

Love the sound of goats cheese salad for lunch especially if the goats cheese is hot. Followed by a big slice of tarte tatin and washed down with a very nice white wine like a Sancerre for the cheese and a Sauturn for the tart yummy, yummy........

tarte-Tatin-de-Manzanas.jpg

You are doing so well. You must feel so good knowing you are nearly there........

hugs xxxx

Now that's just mean, Sue!
Offering pastry for lunch, when I'll have had pain au chocolat for breakfast. I am still trying to lose weight, you know!

Anyway, we're still on target, chaps.

76 lengths this morning (couldn't do a long swim, as I had to take my car to be fixed)

*pauses to take stock of that: 76 lengths not feeling like a long swim. Wow!*

Anyway, that leaves me just 144 to go!

I'm going to aim for 80 tomorrow (which will be at lunch time, rather than first thing), leaving me a straight mile for Thursday. And that will be that!
(And if I run out of time for a full 80 tomorrow - and I might well struggle, on account of meetings & stuff - then I can just switch them round. Although a shorter one on Thursday would be better, so that I still have energy to go out to get my breakfast.)

All systems go!

Brilliant !!!

You must be able to smell the ovens in the patisseries of Calais by now. Enough to spur anyone on.

One Mile To Go!

Well that was a bit of a struggle this morning!

Even in the first 4 lengths my arms felt tired, and I didn't want to play. I did get into my stride, and it got a bit easier, but at 40 lengths I would happily have got out - even if it meant I would have to do another 40 this evening!
However I stayed in, and kept swimming. I thought even if I just got to 64, that would mean that I only had a manageable 80 to do tomorrow.

By 64, though, I was more doggedly determined. Too tired to swim fast, but still keeping going. And I knew that if I could hold out for the full 80 lengths as planned, I would be able to go into my last day's swim with a proper "British" mile to go to get to the continent, rather than a "European" 2km! So I went into full "any fool can swim 16 lengths" mode, and survived them.

So here I am. 1 mile from Cap Gris Nez. I really will be there tomorrow. And I'm sooooooooooooo looking forward to that breakfast!

And yes, Sue, I probably would be able to smell the baking by now, if it weren't for the overwhelming aromas of salt, fish and marine diesel that are my current environment!

*paddles up in the support boat* *gets out megaphone and starts shouting* "POSITIVE THINGS! POSITIVE THINGS!"

You have done SO well. Amazing dedication. Not far now :)

*fixes croissant to a stick and dangles it in front of Jimbob as an incentive to keep going* *heads for shore*

wow - only a mile to go!!
you should be feeling really proud of yourself

*paddles up in the support boat* *gets out megaphone and starts shouting* "POSITIVE THINGS! POSITIVE THINGS!"

You have done SO well. Amazing dedication. Not far now :)

*fixes croissant to a stick and dangles it in front of Jimbob as an incentive to keep going* *heads for shore*

Great motivation Gill but I think she would get there faster with a pan au chocolat on the end of that stick. Don't worry the croissant will not be wasted , I will have it,

I keep saying you are a star because I am so in awe of your tenacity and dedication that you leave me speechless.

hugs.

p.s. I love this....................
No diet will remove all the fat from your body because the brain is entirely fat. Without a brain, you might look good, but all you could do is run for public office. GEORGE BERNARD SHAW

Thanks, Minx. When the croissant (oooh, and it's freshly baked, and beautifully buttery, I can tell!) is that close to my nose, I can actually smell it, despite the general dieselly fishy saltiness. Keep it there, and I'll follow it the whole mile!

And thank you, HS. I'm too tired to be proud, at the moment: but I will be, when I've done it. Tomorrow. (Or the next day when I've had some sleep and haven't had to get up at the crack of dawn and swim again!)

And for some reason it won't let me thank you, Sue - but thank you. Again.

I don't feel like a star this morning: I feel very soggy & grimy, & totally knackered.

An early night tonight, the promise of a delicious breakfast, and the end being in sight will keep me going tomorrow, though.
That's one swim that I'm not at all worried about being able to achieve!

Hi JoT

Just wanted to say a massive well done - that is some feat and you must be proud of your achievement! Perhaps a celebratory pat on the back while you are enjoying your much deserved 'croissant'?!
I have really enjoyed reading about your challenge, and you have dome amazingly.
Where is the next swim planned..?!? Looking forward to reading all about it

Nattymo x

You told me to stop swimming!

How about if she gets her skinny arse out of the support boat and swims it with you. I fancy a turn in the boat !!!

Now if you swim the Med. you can stop over here, enjoy the facilities such as they are and I can do what I love doing........cooking you a wonderful SW friendly meal washed down with a superb non SW friendly vino.............. now that is a plan !!!

Then perhaps not as it might be sharks you would be navigating to say nothing of the jelly fish. Makes the diesel fumes etc. almost attractive. lol.

clip_art_french_flag%5B1%5D.jpg

Bonjour, la France! Je suis arrivée!!

Apres avoir nagé les mille quatre cent seize longueurs de la piscine qui symbolisent La Manche, j’ai gagné enfin la plage tout près de Cap Gris Nez.

Je suis sorti de la mer et, avec difficulté, suis montée la plage.

Mon amie LaMinx (pas de nécessité de traduire cela!) m’a emmené le dernier mille à l’assistance d’un croissant. Et encore une amie Saute-Grenouille m’avait préparé une serviette grande, chaude, et sèche.

Donc j’ai remercié l’équipe de mon bateau de secours, j’ai accueilli ma troisième amie Mère de Pouliche, et j’ai pris une douche, pour me laver de tout le sel, huile et graisse. Et puis nous sommes toutes allées chercher la pâtisserie la plus proche, où je vais consommer un petit déjeuner sans pareil !

Il faut dire, cependant, que les rues de Calais ne se ressemblent pas à celles dont je me souviens. Et les gens parlent toujours l’anglais. Eh bien. Ça ne fait rien. Je prendrai grand plaisir à mon pain au chocolat – même s’il vient de M&S !

(J’ai compté les crymes (mon essai le meilleur à traduire « syns » !), et je vais le manger. Et si je veux, aussi un croissant. Et personne ne va pas m’arrêter!)

Je vous remercie tous (toutes – et M. Maximus) pour tous vos soutiens, assistances, &c.
Vous tous m’avez gardé vive, et sur l’eau.
Je vous aime tous !

. . .

Ok - maybe that was a bit over the top. And I apologise for all errors. But I've made it, so today is French day!

And as soon as M&S opens, I'm off out for my breakfast!

Last edited:
Hello, France! I arrived!

After having swum the thousand four hundred sixteen lengths of the pool that symbolize the Channel, I finally won the beach near Cap Gris Nez.

I left the sea and, with difficulty, went up the beach.

My friend LaMinx (no need to translate that!) took me the last mile to the assistanceof a crescent. And again Leap Frog a friend had prepared a large towel, warm and dry.

So I thanked the team of my lifeboat, I hosted my third friend of Mother filly, and I took a shower to wash away the salt, oil and grease. And then we all went to fetch the nearest bakery, or I'll eat a breakfast like no other!

It must be said, however, that the streets of Calais does not look like the ones I remember. And people still speak English. Well. It does not matter. I take great pleasure in my pain au chocolate - even if it comes from M & S!

(I counted the Cryme (my best to translate the test "SYNs!), and I'll eat it. And if I want, as a croissant. And people will not stop me!)

Thank you all (all - and Mr. Maximus) for all your support, assistance, & c.
You all kept me alive, and water.
I love you all!

Ok - c'est peut-être été un peu plus haut. Et je m'excuse pour toutes les erreurs. Maisje lui ai fait, si c'est aujourd'hui la Journée française!

Et dès que M & S ouvre, je pars pour mon petit déjeuner!

Just so that everyone can understand :D

Congratulations Jimbob. You deserve every morsel of that chocolate pain. We are ALL very proud of you.

Thanks, Mme La Minx! I recognise the fine hand of Google Translate.

Back