jogging vs crosstrainer

Aymz

Silver Member
Hi all. I just wanted to ask which would be a better workout exercise wise? Jogging on the treadmill or using the crosstrainer? Today I tried the jogging before my normal crosstrainer session and it felt like I worked up more of a sweat (sorry if TMI) but calorie wise it doesn't seem to burn as much as the crosstrainer so I was just wondering if anyone knows. Obviously I know any exercise is good for you I just normally stick with the crosstrainer and was looking to mix things up a bit but with something just as effective.

Aymz said:
Hi all. I just wanted to ask which would be a better workout exercise wise? Jogging on the treadmill or using the crosstrainer? Today I tried the jogging before my normal crosstrainer session and it felt like I worked up more of a sweat (sorry if TMI) but calorie wise it doesn't seem to burn as much as the crosstrainer so I was just wondering if anyone knows. Obviously I know any exercise is good for you I just normally stick with the crosstrainer and was looking to mix things up a bit but with something just as effective.

The cross trainer doesn't put as much strain on your body as it's controlling your body movement, the cross trainer also works on your arms unlike jogging.

I can't jog because i have had surgery twice on my knees. But i find the crosstrainer to be no problem at all - very very easy on your joints.

I think the reason why you found jogging harder work after the cross trainer, is simply that your muscles aren't used to this motion, it is working your muscles in a different way. I have worked my way up to 30 minutes and 300 calories on the cross trainer but if i tried jogging i doubt i'd make it to 50 calories in the same time as my leg muscles would hurt like crazy, not even taking into account my knee problems. I can't remember where i read it, but it has something to do with the 'pounding' / shock motion of running which requires your body to respond differently. If you do it regularly i'm sure you'll build up to a similar level to your cross-trainer fitness as your body adapts - stick with it for a couple of weeks and see.

Thanks!

I just never seem comfortable jogging. Jogging on a treadmill gets boring and jogging at a fixed speed gets me tired quickly. I can jog for longer on a path as I can change pace when needed but feel the pain much more.

Back